Octavia at 50 - ijws15
The Octavia broke 50k last weekend, just 22 months old.

As a 1.9tdi 105 it is not quite the match for the Accord it replaced on the refinement front but it is very close. Reliability wise it has been perfect, the only time off the road are as a result of me driving into things, not the car. That means it has had fewer faults in the first 2 years than the Honda.

Average consumption is 56.5, more than I expected (the target was 55).

Can't really add anything about space - it copes easily with our holiday runs to the South of France and sSWMBO almost takes the kitchen sink (I said no her request to take the rice cooker).

Variable servicing so had two services, another should be due shortly (around 18k between services) and only had to put oil in once between services.

Just had a full set of tyres, first set of fronts lasted 18k(Bridgestone) Dunlops took it to 49500 when all four were changed to Dunlops (SP Sport Fast response) last week. Still got a new Bridgestone on the alloy spare in the boot. It is a lease car so I don't get a choice.

Stereo on FM loses quality when you turn the engine off but not an issue for me.

This car has so many simply done but useful touches it always amazes me.

Wife still doesn't like it but hard to see it being replaced with anything but another Octavia.

PS - Sorry wasn't really perfect - just remembered that the bonnet release lever once came off in my hand and I needed to push it back on. See, I really did try to think of something bad to say about it . . .
Octavia at 50 - craig-pd130

56.5mpg is impressive, is that measured brim to brim or from the computer? My old Passat's computer was about 5 - 6% optimistic but even so, a genuine 50+mpg is not to be sniffed at!
Octavia at 50 - WorkshopTech
We service these day in and day out, including some taxi and ex-taxi with mega miles. It is hard to find an owner with anything bad to say about them.
When we do get them in with faults they are usually qucik and easy to fix, which is one of the reasons the taxi guys like them, minimum downtime and not losing money.
I think the skoda brand is still increasing its reputation by leaps and bounds. When we have one for sale they usually go quickly and for good money, even the very high milers.

Your mpg is very impressive, about the best Ive heard for typical driving in one of these.
Octavia at 50 - maz64
It is hard to find an owner with anything bad to say about them.

WT - based on your experience, do you think they are better than the equivalent VWs with the same parts?
Octavia at 50 - WorkshopTech
WT - based on your experience do you think they are better than the equivalent
VWs with the same parts?

Thats a hard question to answer. I suppose on balance, yes, they may be a bit better. I'm not sure why because theoretically they should be the same, and skodas are not usually looked after better than VWs (usually less well in fact). I have seen one or two Octys with over 500k on the clock and still on original engien and gearbox.

Probably the most troublesome VAG car we see int he Passat, which seems to present with quite a few niggles, and the latest model is no better. For a tough and durbale family motor the Octavia is hard to beat, its well priced, generally reliable (when it does go wrong it doesnt usually suffer nasty and expensive faults) and very solid. I would buy an octy over a golf, Passat or A4 in that size class.
Octavia at 50 - ijws15
Brim to brim.