05 1.6 Cambelt replacement - brakenoodle
Has anyone out there done a cambelt replacement on a 2005 Chevy (Daewoo) Tacuma 1.6SX? It has the four pot DOHC 'Family 1' GM engine. Are there any pitfalls? Is the special tool realy required to tension the belt or can something else be used? I have done the 'belt on a Daewoo Matiz and it was easy but the Tacuma looks a totally different story. Any advice please.
05 1.6 Cambelt replacement - WorkshopTech
This is very straightforward and typical Vauxhall type arrangement.
No tensioner tool required, there is a tension pointer on the waterpump.

Pitfalls - you have to support engine and remove engine mount.
You have to slacken waterpump bolts and rotate waterpump to slacken/tension belt (have you got spanner - and it may leak, so ,maybe replace pump?).

We do these for a little over 1 hour labour.
Thanks for the advice. I can support the engine with my 2 tonne jack and I have millions of spanners but the one I've seen in the workshop manual to rotate the water pump is, I believe, 44mm AF and is used with a square drive wrench. This tool looks like the business end of a normal spanner but flat and big. This is listed as a special tool but like so many others, these can often be made or got round in some way. Can I do it without this large 'spanner'?
05 1.6 Cambelt replacement - WorkshopTech
WE have alway used the proper spanner. Try a motor accessory shop, someone like laser tools may do one for diyers quite cheap. You MAY get away with water pump pliers, I couldnt be sure though.
thanks for the advice and I'll look for the spanner. I intended to replace the water pump at the same time also - cheers
I managed to get the proper water pump tool from ebay for a fiver (made by Draper) - looks like I'mm getting my hands dirty in the spring.
05 1.6 Cambelt replacement - zookeeper
noodle, let us know how you get on with it, ive got a lanos cambelt to do soon...is the water pump spanner the 42 mm type? thanks.....zoo
The water pump tool is stamped 46mm and is bent round with a 1/2" square drive hole on the other side. It is listed in the Tacuma workshop manual. It was a used item on ebay