Queue jumping / getting ahead - DP
Inspired by the reaction to the roundabout thread, I just wondered what other "short cuts" anyone takes to save time on the roads, and whether people think it's acceptable.

I will confess to one more, which I do regularly on the M25 Heathrow stretch in rush hour.

As people who have driven this (hateful) stretch of road will know, lane 1 is exclusively an exit lane for junctions 14 and 13, and that the road is invariably a car park during rush hour. However, lane 1 tends to clear around a mile before each junction, with just the exiting traffic using it. Lanes 2-5 are completely stationary.

I negotiate both J14 and J13 by using lane 1, leaving the motorway, heading straight over the roundabout, and rejoining at the other side of the junction. Apart from a small queue to rejoin, this cuts out a considerable amount of stationary traffic, and allows me to keep moving.

Technically it's queue jumping, even though I am following the lanes, (and using the roundabout of the junction) correctly.

Any thoughts/comments? Anyone else do this, or anything similar?

Queue jumping / getting ahead - Alanovich
I don't see this as queue jumping. In that situation, no-one is waiting their "turn" at something, unlike in the roundabout thread. This situation is more like finding a legitimate short cut.

Maybe I'm a hypocrite, but I occasionally do this on the IDR in Reading, if anyone knows what I'm talking about. It's a short urban dual carriageway in a cutting, in which there is one motorway-like junction at which the exit slip heads upwards to a roundabout at original ground level. If the carriageway is queued solid, I do tend to head up the slip to the roundabout and rejoin later, although my motivation to find this wrinkle has been brought on by driving a dreadfully car sick-prone child around and wanting to get home before she erupts.

The IDR is one of those genius pieces of 60s urban planning which eradiacted an entire neighbourhood and created a "Berlin wall" type barrier between the town centre and an area of attractive Victorian housing, which promplty became an unfashionable and dangerous ghetto.
Queue jumping / getting ahead - Peterexhaustpiper
Alanovich,

I think I know the one you are on about? Sounds a lot like a good description of the A33 heading in the town-centre. If its near some Level crossing/fire station type flashing red lights by a big yellow hatched box then thats the one i'm thinking of...

I'm not local to Reading, I live near Portsmouth, used to travel there quite frequently in my little orange Trans-Connect. Not been through the Town centre since the Autowindscreens FC moved to Reading approach (A33) just up the road from the Madeski stadium. Kinda reminds me of a miniture London in a way.

Edited by Peterexhaustpiper on 29/01/2010 at 18:35

Queue jumping / getting ahead - L'escargot
As far as I'm concerned it's every man for himself and the Devil take the hindmost.
;-)
Queue jumping / getting ahead - GroovyMucker
I wouldn't do it. It's a bit rude IMO.

But not a biggie, and I suppose no-one knows you've done it, so no-one gets annoyed.

Five Hail Marys, my child.

:)
Queue jumping / getting ahead - Ben 10
"I don't see this as queue jumping. In that situation, no-one is waiting their "turn" at something, unlike in the roundabout thread. This situation is more like finding a legitimate short cut."

I see the logic, but selfishness, and see it all the time, but the increased traffic merging on the other side of the junction creates an increased longer tailback. The whole reason the lanes 2-5 remain stationary longer is due to q jumpers like this making a slow moving queue into stationary queue. Its the knock on effect people like this cause. I'm all right Jack and all that.
Queue jumping / getting ahead - ForumNeedsModerating
There's a delicious opportunity going into LLandudno to use the right turn lane on a roundabout (there's always a humungous 300m queue for straight-on/left) to queue 'jump' - I drive up the completely unobstructed right hand lane & make one circuit of the roundabout to go straight on, by-passing 40+ vehicles. I love it & quite often sing while doing it.

Queue jumping / getting ahead - rtj70
I have on a few occasions used the option of using the right lane at the end of a dual carriageway and gone all the way around to jump a bit of a queue. Left lane on dual carriageway queuing to go left. It was always at the end of the A34 heading south from Wilmslow.

I also once (due to last years snow in the early part of the year) came off at a junction and round the roundabout and back on. The signs for speed cameras (SPECS) were totally covered/obscured by snow and I was doing 70mph instead of 50mph when I got to the first camera.... came off to delay when I got to the next.
Queue jumping / getting ahead - bathtub tom
>>The signs for speed cameras (SPECS) were totally covered/obscured by snow and I was doing 70mph instead of 50mph when I got to the first camera

How did you know the limit was 50, other than you were overtaking everything?
Because I assumed it was. I saw the SPECS camera and it was motorway. Maybe it wasn't active at the time but I didn't risk it. The "This camera not active" sign may have been hidden too for all I know.
Queue jumping / getting ahead - George Porge
queue jumping at the bar or meat counter is frowned upon, sat in a metal box makes it OK?
But this isn't queue jumping in quite the same sense. The road lets you make progress legally and so it's a grey area that calls on some morals etc.
Queue jumping / getting ahead - old crocks
It really is a grey area.

1-Right hand lane to turn left at roundabout?
2-Off at motorway junction and straight back on?
3-Off at motorway service area and straight back on?
4-Off at motorway junction, along parallel road, back on at next junction?
5-Off at motorway junction, scenic long cut, back on at next junction?

I've done them all in the past. But with a decreasing sense of guilt as you go down the list.

"queue jumping at the bar or meat counter is frowned upon, sat in a metal box makes it OK?

Driving on quieter/lesser used side roads/Dual carridgeway roundabout loop-de-looping to avoid queues is not comparable to queue jumping on a meat counter. Roads are there for us to use.

What is comparable to queue jumping the meat counter is when someone uses the wrong side of the road to frog-leap the queue like this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8STAa0rlt8&feature=PlayLi...0
1&index=0

!!!Contains swearing so turn your sound off!!!

Edited by rtj70 on 29/01/2010 at 20:57

On a stretch of M$ from Port Talbot towards Swansea (before they completed the newer section) people used to use the hard shoulder to avoid the queues... police one day were parked up at the end and booked a long stream of cars stuck on the hard shoulder ;-)
Queue jumping / getting ahead - bell boy
and booked a long stream of cars stuck on the hard shoulder

>
>>>>>were they flood damaged then?
Queue jumping / getting ahead - injection doc
used to do that for years on the m25 heading west joining miles of slip road for woking & going over the roundabout & back on fot the M3. used to save 20+mins in the rush hour
I once listened to a radio phone in where a caller admitted to using the right hand lane on a roundabout to turn left avoiding the queue in the left lane, he then went on to justify his selfishness by saying the people in the left lane would have less time to wait because he'd queue jumped.................................

Not sure you quite got the hang of this Dox. If everyone applied your logic, no-one would ever use an alternate route.

If you, for example, find out 'route A' is busy, you may decide to try 'route B' - in doing so you're 'holding up' those people who are using 'route B', simply for your own benefit.
If you'd simply used the more congested 'route A' (left-hand lane in the roundabout case)
you'd have saved those poor souls being held up by your using 'route B' - it wasn't their fault 'route A' was busy was it?

Why is that any different to using right-hand lane & looping the roundabout & turning left/straight-on etc.? It's not is it - by the mere fact of having a vehicle you take up road space, ipso facto, you must 'hold-up' someone, somewhere because of it.

My view is that as long as it's legal (and complies with the HC) & safe, any useful use of road space is sensible & to be encouraged.

No one expects someone in a right turn only lane to turn left unless they have blues and twos.

Everyman for himself mentality it seems

Drive as you like, but don't make out you're doing it for my benefit
>>No one expects someone in a right turn only lane to turn left unless they have blues and twos

Nope, still don't get it do you. You don't turn left from the right hand lane & cut across - you go right around the roundabout - then take your desired exit!!

have blues and twos
Nope still don't get it do you. You don't turn left from the right hand
lane & cut across - you go right around the roundabout - then take your
desired exit!!

Read my original post, the kindly individual just turned left, he did'nt go around the roundabout at all...................
Nope still don't get it do you. You don't turn left from the right hand
lane & cut across - you go right around the roundabout - then take your
desired exit!!

I'm intrigued now, does the "loop de loop" justify the selfish actions of queue jumping in your eyes? Stopping peoples progress waiting to join the roundabout as you do your 450 degree lap of honour and causing their delays as you go?

Dox,

Its utilising lanes for good use mate,

A roundabout is circular, its designed for you to "go around" where traffic has to "give way to the right" otherwise it would not be called a roundabout. The idea of a roundabout is to drive round in a circle until you decide on your best exit.

If it was causing major hold-ups then I'm sure the highways or local council would change the lane setup/roundabout if this was causing a major nation-wide problem.

If there was a section under the RTA 1988 that governs "loop-de-looping" as a minor traffic skipping offence which carries out a fine & pentalty then so be it.

Until the RTA 1988 rules out a "queue jumping" offence then I & many other motorists will stop doing it.

There isn't so I rest my case... Your "queue jumping" arguement is just your own moral beleif.
"A roundabout is circular, its designed for you to "go around" where traffic has to "give way to the right" otherwise it would not be called a roundabout. The idea of a roundabout is to drive round in a circle until you decide on your best exit."

Its more than just driving around in a circle. There is an agreed method for using lanes at roundabouts. You've obviously forgotton and need a refresher course. Mate ;-).
Highway code 184: get into the correct lane.

Also read 186/187

Highway code 188: Avoid making U turns at mini roundabouts.
Cpt. Flack

"Highway code 188: Avoid making U turns at mini roundabouts"

Doesn't say don't do a U turn on a roundabout.
It says "Avoid" that means try not to, but a roundabout is round & designed to drive round in a circle incase you make a mistake so you can go around to rectify your mistake. Its safer than doing a U turn in the middle of busy 2-way traffic.

Its really not worth clutching the highway code, close to your chest as if its the Church Bible...
We have all passed our tests... we are not doing a driving test... Its not worth reciting passages out of the highway code...

If there is a legal opportunity to do something... Take it!

Woodbines,

On my journeys as a van driver I have picked up that there are good drivers as well as bad drivers...

Then there are the extrememly sad "Catholic" bible Drivers who are as pathetic as those war-against-the-car cyclists.

Bit like Omnivours -> Vegetarians -> Vegans

I'm not trolling by any means but I really cannot stand badly behaved German-car drivers just as much as those annoying ranting Bible drivers.

Good drivers don't cut lanes or do anything against the law & pose no threat to me or anyone else but you always get those Bible drivers who can find fault & curse even the most well-mannered of drivers. The feel they must study every rule in the highway code by its reference number then recite a rule relating to it whenever someone does so much as innocently change lanes. They feel they always have a driving examiner breathing down their neck all the time. They clutch the Highway code by their chest worse than a priest clutches his/her jesus cross.

-We MUST not use any right hand lanes - they are only for turning right, using a right hand lane to go straight ahead will upset someone, never mind the road markings have twin arrows both pointing forward...

-We MUST not "Loop-de-Loop" at roundabouts on a dual-carridgeway because highway code rule: XXX Says you should avoid U-turns and it will upset people if we do. Never mind that the other drivers aren't really paying that much attention to what we are doing...

-We MUST not take alternative roads to avoid grid-lock, we must rightfully sit in the same traffic jam as them as tuning off will offend someone. Never mind that other drivers won't notice & care about where you go.

If the other people sat in their cars are strangers & aren't a personal friend of mine or is not a family member, I don't really care how long they are sitting in a queue. I am the priority - not them.

Obviously the small-minded race of people who havn't been van drivers or havn't driven a cab in their life are the only ones who persist to argue. If you had things to be multidropping on a time schedule, you won't have time to sit there picking your nose in traffic jams sitting in their traffic queues in an act of kindness. Quite frankly, the other drivers are not going to get out & thank you for sitting in that jam with them, the whole Idea is to get from A-B ASAP. Not dig the wax out of your ears while polluting the environment.

The highway code do-gooders a.k.a "Bible" drivers should be ignored.

Carry on cutting those jams legally just as long as you are not doing anything dangerous or illegal... The law will soon pounce on you if it was...

Indeed PExP - I did the unforgivable(!) again this Saturday - a '540' on the right turn lane
on the roundabout to go straight on.

Funny thing is - as you say, the left-lane queuers took no notice of me because they didn't even think about the possibility - I was just a 'normal' car approaching from the right on the roundabout when they clocked me.

Oddly enough, if more people did the above, the overall queueing time for everyone would decrease - or maybe not even build up at all - because this particular (tiny) roundabout never has a queue from any other direction - just a great deal of incoming traffic as the main route into town which has a stop-go 'phantom' jam as a result.

"Carry on cutting those jams legally just as long as you are not doing anything dangerous or illegal... The law will soon pounce on you if it was..."

Yeah and if we all took your advice where would we be. You must get some sort of kick from beating a line of traffic or get off the motorway last minute to save a few seconds. Calm down a little lifes too short as it is. Just chill.

Having said that,I suggest you read the RTA and see whether you're in the right. The fact is the manner in which you drive has a knock on effect. Trying to do a complete U turn in a van on a mini RAB would probably need a bit of toing and froing, or mounting the pavement, thus holding people up, something you would hate if it was done in front of you no doubt.

The HC is not a "Bible" thats right, but it is better to have some guidelines to help things run better. Driving like white van man, "get out my way" I'm on as deadline is wrong. We all want to get from A-B in the quickest time not just you. Bad driving, not just roadworks causes traffic congestion
Queue jumping / getting ahead - pda
>>>If the other people sat in their cars are strangers & aren't a personal friend of mine or is not a family member, I don't really care how long they are sitting in a queue. I am the priority - not them. <<<<

And the last six words of that quote says it all.
It's at the root of the bad driving seen on the roads today.

I queued for 1 hour and 10 minutes on the M11 at J7 southbound yesterday morning to get off at Harlow and go into the town.
It was caused by roadworks just off the motorway on the A414.
The queue started just before the mile markers for the exit and at that stage most of the through traffic in the other two lanes was flowing freely.
It soon became apparent though that the queue wasn't moving because of the large amount of cars who got almost as far as the front a put on a left hand indicator and pushed in to the front of the queue.
As I sat and watched this I began to see cars pulling out of the queue into the middle lane and driving the quarter mile or so up to the front and then trying to barge their way back into the front of the queue.
This, on three occasions, almost caused a multivehicle shunt in the centre lane behind them as traffic came to an abrupt halt because they had managed to get the bonnet pushed in but the rear end was blocking the centre lane.
All credit has to be due to the lorry drivers who anticipated this action and was 'covering' the brake pedal waiting for it to happen.
I was appalled and disgusted at the actions I saw, and the danger it posed to innocent people simply because those few thought they were too important to wait.
It didn't matter to them that those of us in the back of the queue hardly moved at all because of their behaviour.
These must have be the same car drivers who moan continually about lorries holding them up while they overtake each other on a hill, yet when they hold up aother car drivers for over an hour it's perfectly acceptable behaviour.
The M6/A14 Catthorpe junction is another prime example of where this happens on a regular basis and I was dissapointed to find members of the backroom who are happy to boast about doing this.

Queue jumping / getting ahead - Altea Ego
> dissapointed to find members of the backroom who are happy to boast about doing this.

If you read the post properly, you will see it was not a happy boast, indeed the post specifically said " Alas, I am not proud of this one ".

the root cause for this one, is the trully appaling design of the Catthorpe Interchange. Without doubt the worse juntion on the whole road network,

I agree with you about the design and layout AE but not about the morals:)
Not happy to boast? Then you have two choices........either don't do it or don't tell anyone!

Pat
Honesty is a moral not to be proud of?

tell you what, you pretend you never took 2 miles to ovetake another lorry further up the A14, and I'll pretend I didnt jump in the queue at the Junction.
Now that's what I call a deal AE!

Pat
DP That isn't queue jumping, you are making out your doing something illegal!

I do that all the time, its just that people don't think to do that. Its the same trick as a dual carridgeway with a roundabout at the end. The left lane gets clogged up so you use the empty right-hand lane to "loop-de-loop" the roundabout to skip the stationary traffic. Its what I used to do all the time. I've zipped past loads of coppers waiting in the left lanes & done this, Ive never been chased or pulled over by them for "queue jumping" If it was queue jumping I'm sure the Road Traffic act 1988 would have an offence listed under the sections for that. The only thing that is quite naughty is when you use a right-hand lane until it merges into the left with the line of cars - thats something the cops don't take too kindly, but otherwise exiting motorway sliproads then immediately re-joining them to skip the line is perfectly unoffendable. So is using the roundabout to perform the "loop-de-loop" trick.

Ive never ever been pulled over myself by the cops for doing anything naughty - touch wood. The only time I got a slap on the wrist from the law was when my cousin was driving my car, speeding with me sat as a passenger. I got told off for letting him drive it without insurance - my cousin is 26 - lied to me that he was fully comp - I let him drive the car - he got caught being stupid. I found out that he was 3rd party. Otherwise I've never been given any slaps on the wrist when I've been behind the wheel.

Queue jumping / getting ahead - OG
I've zipped past loads of coppers waiting in the left lanes & done this, Ive never been chased or pulled over by them for "queue jumping"

It was actually a police officer who put me onto this trick. His argument was that by utilising both lanes it made the queue shorter. I can't see any reason why it would be illegal, I'm just wary of upsetting some maniac or the other.
So, everyone should use any lane to turn in any direction and we'll all get to our destinations quicker and safer?

Edited by Dox on 29/01/2010 at 18:45

OG, don't be

I was RAC A/W's van driver delivering glass to waiting fitters in Rondezvous points or customer adresses - I didn't have time to sit around in holiday traffic picking my nose or painting my finger-nails. The glass has to be delivered so the fitters can fit them or they phone me in a rage "Where are you? you said you'll be 20 minutes" "I'm coming I'm coming, hang on" I couldn't cut people up otherwise there would be hell to pay if a complaint is made so I would utilise the lanes to skip traffic instead.

I must say... Since being an R.V Driver/White van man in my Mercedes Sprinter/out in my own car heading off queues & doing "loop-de-loop" tricks on RoundaBouts I havn't had anyone coming up to my windows banging on them physchopathically yet...
Queue jumping / getting ahead - bristol01
The left lane gets clogged up so you use the empty right-hand lane to "loop-de-loop" the roundabout to skip the stationary traffic.

Peter e.p., you've let the cat out of the bag! I do that regularly, too. Nothing wrong in my opinion as long as you signal your intentions clearly.

On the other hand, forcing one's way into a line of stationary traffic at the start of a motorway lane closure, usually without a signal of thanks, really is antisocial Ithink. I do laugh when the folks in the queue intentionally bunch together to block the offendor's progress.
bristol,

shhhhhhh, lets keep our "loop-de-loop" trick quiet.

Otherwise we'll have the shopping-spree females doing it soon - they'll be loop-de-looping roundabouts to get to the mall quicker, we can't have that now can we! It'll ruin it for Taxi drivers/van drivers who have to get from A-B ASAP for a living. Shopping-spree'ers stay in a mall for hours on end... They have all the time in the world & all day to do it...

I don't launch myself into a queue from a lane closure - thats evil! I don't blame them for bunching up...

I have to laugh at Dox's arguement towards us...

Who cares? You are far-too moral driven.

A meat counter usually has a ticket machine where a number is called out so you normally get served equally.

If there were 2 checkouts in a shop...

1 & 2

Both of them open...

You would use the crowded checkout (Checkout no.1) because people are waiting that line so you feel morally guilty. Checkout 2 is also open but no-one is using it... You would be willing to wait in the line on Checkout no.1 because you feel guilty about using checkout no.2

Using lanes is the same thing but we are in metal boxes.

I know what checkout I'd be rushing to...

Edited by Peterexhaustpiper on 29/01/2010 at 19:06

I know what checkout I'd be rushing to...

The big one at the very end.............................................
I do laugh when the folks in the queue intentionally bunch together to block the offendor's
progress.

If we let the system work and left gaps for traffic to merge, this is how it should work. We don't use the outside lane capacity properly because people will bunch up to stop them merging. Whereas that is what's meant to happen.

This country is too self-centred at time ;-)
I think a lot of the problem is other drivers 'wishing I'd thought of that'.

I see nothing wrong with doing 450 degrees at a roundabout. In fact I've turned left at a T junction to travel a couple of hundred metres to a roundabout, done a 360, to avoid the queue waiting to turn right at the T.

The only problem I see with jumping off at a slip to re-enter, is some slips don't always have an entry as well as an exit. Yes, I've been caught out at unfamiliar junctions.
Queue jumping / getting ahead - gordonbennet
I used to travel the M25 section in question almost daily before the recent widening/alterations and during heavy traffic i'd get in the left lane and go up and down every junction from M3 to M4 (down and up at A30), Friday afternoons northbound saved lots of time....Chertsey turnoff sometimes worth it too.

It wasn't queue jumping it's making use of personal or local road knowledge before some jobsworth makes that an offence too.
Queue jumping / getting ahead - bristol01
I take your point rtj but often these characters muscle their way in in a pretty aggressive manner, and that is what I object to.
I do the same move as you DP. Its called the terminal 5 gambit.
Alas, I am not proud of this one, but I see everyone else do it, and I dont like getting crapped on so I do it too.

M6 South J1/ A14 Catforth

Its a mile queue in the left hand lane to go off the M6 to the A14. I travel down the M6 as if to join the M1 and then cut in late to the off slip onto the A14.
I think that's called 'zip merging' AE.

No problem.
Queue jumping / getting ahead - Manatee
>>. I travel down the M6 as if to join the M1 and then cut in late to the off slip onto the A14.

Now that's proper queue jumping! Not prissily looping round roundabouts!
Queue jumping / getting ahead - davecooper
'I travel down the M6 as if to join the M1 and then cut in late to the off slip onto the A14'.

Wow! I'm in absolute awe at your abilities.
Queue jumping / getting ahead - OldSock
I do recall once using the hard shoulder on the M42 section where this has been made legal at certain times.

Traffic was stationary on the main carriageway, so I pootled along the empty hard shoulder marked "Junction n only" - up to the junction roundabout and back down the slip road onto the (again empty) hard shoulder.

Not once, but for the next couple of junctions, too (hangs head in shame).

Edited by OldSock on 30/01/2010 at 12:26

Queue jumping / getting ahead - gordonbennet
Its a mile queue in the left hand lane to go off the M6 to
the A14. I travel down the M6 as if to join the M1 and then
cut in late to the off slip onto the A14.

A few have met the Maker there too doing exactly that.
Not quite, a few have met the maker there trying to stop others doing it. I have seen the aftermath of one there.

One has to be prepared to chicken out and take the M1 option if it all goes TU. Not had to yet.
Queue jumping / getting ahead - Lud
Sussex and back this afternoon. Hammersmith Bridge, best route by far, closed at weekends for fettling or something. Alternative routes tiresomely long in distance and/or traffic. Super-carp onthe way out of town, super-carp on the way in. I'd forgotten on the way back that it wasn't Sunday but carpy carpy weekend-mimser Saturday. Even went in a bus lane in an impatient and forgetful moment.

Yes, I've seen some queues and queue-jumping today, and had them done to me and yea, done them unto others. Glad to be back.

I should have added: A40/M25/A24 is the most relaxed way to do it, but about 40 miles further.

Edited by Lud on 30/01/2010 at 20:10

Queue jumping / getting ahead - Alby Back
Down for a fitting at the smock tailors eh Lud ?

;-)
OO ARRR, HB.

I also should have added: the M25 route, 90 odd miles instead of 50, may be quicker timewise on a Saturday with Hammersmith Bridge closed. There are too many cars really. Not a good thing because the automobile is eating itself. Makes me sad.
Queue jumping / getting ahead - Sofa Spud
I particularly like to see those people who do a 3-point turn in the main road and head off to find a rat-run rather than wait 2 minutes in a queue. It's specially good if you then pass them further on waiting to pull out of a side road!
There is still a route de-tour that I used to use quite regularly where I'm from. I used to ride home from college on my bike using this way. Its accessable to both Car & Bike, its very cleverly set out & takes some exploration to discover it. Not illegal. You have a small 2-lane ring-road, the RR is a square shaped road with a maze of side-roads & office blocks in the middle of it. The end/beginning of the RR is a set of traffic lights with 3 lanes, 2 of them filtering off elsewhere. Every morning The 3-lanes get completely choca-clock & this has an effect of bunching up all the way around the corner. As you are coming down the 2-lanes towards the traffic lights, on approaching the corner, you can immediately see the tailback but there is a sliproad on the right where you can turn off. As you turn off the sliproad, it then is a side-road that leads round to the right with the RR, its a dead-end side road which runs paralell to the 3-lanes of traffic. You travel along-side the stationary traffic, the dead-end is a car park at the end with an entrance facing you. Go through the entrance & you immediately exit again. As soon as you drive down the dead end you can see the main road ahead through the car-park so its literally in & out.
Now that you have described this valuable back-double route Peter - so clearly, and with such a wealth of fascinating and amusing detail - are you not afraid that the secret route will be overrun by overtaking idiots and bible-bashing Jehovah's Witnesses or whoever they were?

I for one will be making a beeline for it, if only in the hope of feasting my eyes on, er, you.
Queue jumping / getting ahead - stevied
Lud you're a funny man!

Flamin' Catholics, stealing our rat runs....
Queue jumping / getting ahead - movilogo
It is not queue jumping - just a lateral thinking which often shortens journey time by few minutes gives a feeling of achievement over other motorists ;)
Queue jumping / getting ahead - Ben10
I bet Paul2007 would relish following you about with his in car camera all day catching you out. ;-)
Queue jumping / getting ahead - ijws15
In a similar vein when the M5 - M6 north slip road is solid I take the M6 South slip road and go round the "roundabout" at the A34 junction and back up the M6 North. Sometimes gain 20 minutes or so and have had surprised looks from drivers who passed me on the M5 aroung Tewkesbury and pass me again near Cannock!

Now is that queue jumping?

Likewise is it queue jumping if when the M6 North is also very busy and I go off at the A34 junction and up through Aldridge and Sutton and rejoin my usual route at Cannock?

Just common sense.
Queue jumping / getting ahead - Cliff Pope
Isn't the purpose of broadcasting national traffic news to encourage motorists to "queue jump" by finding another route?
Queue jumping / getting ahead - b308
I'm beginning to regret posting that other thread that has started all this off again...

Sorry, chaps and chapesses! ;)
Queue jumping / getting ahead - helicopter
I have no objection to anyone employing the loop the loop method . I have done it myself and I used to employ the up the M25 slip and down the other side trick. I see that as legitimate because it does not incite the same sort of aggravation as the more common place queue jump because most other drivers are unaware of it happening.

My favourite ploy which I saw locally and which I have reported on here before is where a single lane road exits onto a dual carrigeway leading to a roundabout .On that dual carriageway the inner left hand lane always is moving quite fast but most cars waiting to join need to get over to the outer right hand lane.

I saw a young guy one morning jump out of his car at the head of the queue , run 20 yards up the road to the pedestrian crossing, press the button for the lights and run back and get in his car as the lights changed to red allowing him out.

Thats what I call initiative........