Torque v 0-60 times - Man without a plan
Hi guys,

Anyone who read the Smart ForTwo thread will know I am soon to receive a Smart ForTwo CDi Coupe.

I was just looking at the figures on Parkers and noticed that the Smart's 0.8 diesel engine has better torque than our 1.4 Fiesta petrol.

I'm a bit mystified though how that doesn't relate to better 0-60 times (that probably sounds an incredibly stupid thing to say) and wondered if anyone could explain to a mechanophobe (is that a word?)

For info:

Smart =
Engine Size 799 cc
Cylinders 3
0-60 mph 16.3 s
Power Output 54 bhp
Valves 6
Torque 130 Nm 96 lb-ft
Top Speed 84 mph

Fiesta =
Engine Size 1388 cc
Cylinders 4
0-60 mph 12.3 s
Power Output 78 bhp
Valves 16
Torque 124 Nm 91 lb-ft
Top Speed 103 mph
Torque v 0-60 times - Number_Cruncher
Consider these ratios

%Power
78/54

ans =

% 0 -60 time
16.3/12.3

ans =

Which, by their similarity, is effectively saying that most of the difference in 0-60 time can be explained by the power difference between the engines.

What's happening is that you have 2 engines with very similar torque outputs, but, the petrol can rev higher which means that it will have different gearing to the diesel, and can probably do the 0 - 60 with one gear change less than the diesel.

In real life, it's irrelevant, and it all comes down to which you prefer to drive.

Torque v 0-60 times - OldSock
It's purely down to the maximum power figure.

Power = torque x rpm

The Smart may have a higher maximum torque figure, but the Fiesta can deliver more power at a lower torque figure - at a higher rpm.

Sorry, N_C - I type very slowly :-)

Edited by OldSock on 28/01/2010 at 16:39

Torque v 0-60 times - lotusexige
Power is what matters. Imagine that the engine is cocealed in a box and the only bit you see is the output shaft. From the output shaft you get 100 bhp at 5000 rpm. From your point of view it does not matter whether the concealed engine in fact produces 100 bhp at 5,000rpm or produces 100bhp at 10,000 rpm and is coupled to the output shaft by way of a 2 to 1 reduction gear. Howver the 5,000 rpm engine produces twice the torque of the 10,000 rpm engine. Assuming the power curves are the same shape you will not be able to tell which is whic from outside the box.
From the performace point of view, for acceleration the important thing is power to weight ratio, assuming that traction is not the limiting factor. For top speed what matters is the ratio of power to frontal area multiplied by drag coefficient plus a bit for rolling resistance.
Torque v 0-60 times - SteveLee
Torque is effort, BHP is workrate, it's the latter that gets you down the road! Otherwise a routemaster bus would be tear us up off the lights. You can have as much torque as you like, unless it's made far enough up the rev band it won't equal decent horsepower.

Some diesel cars are faster than petrol cars with more horsepower because the generally turbocharged diesel will be making near it's peak power over a 2.5-3K rev band, the equivalently sized normally aspirated petrol car may have more peak power but the area of power under the curve is much less, it's making much less than peak power each side of the peak of the curve - as I said it's horsepower that gets you down the road.

In your case however, we are comparing apples with oranges, the Smart only has 69% of the power of the Fiesta - that's pretty significant!

Edited by SteveLee on 28/01/2010 at 16:40

Torque v 0-60 times - jc2
What a load of rubbish has been talked!! Torque at the engine is only part of the equation-the only torque that will give you performance is the torque at the wheels-to work this out,you need the gearbox ratios,final drive ratio and the rolling radii.
Torque v 0-60 times - nortones2
The makers and journalists have to find out what the ultimate performance is, but the 0-60 time is pretty meaningless, unless you find it vitally necessary to shred your clutch gearbox and tyres:) More real world indicators are the rolling acceleration times, if given. This may reduce the ultimate power advantage of the Fiesta.
Torque v 0-60 times - lotusexige
As nortones2 syas 0-60 time is pretty meaningless. At low speeds any car with any pretense of performance is going to be turning the tyres into expensive smoke an possibly the cluth into an expensive burning smell. Far better measure would be 40-100. Power is still the thing that matters or rather useable power. As other posters have pointed out total power under the curve is what really matters.
What a load of rubbish has been talked!! Torque at the engine is only part
of the equation-the only torque that will give you performance is the torque at the
wheels-to work this out you need the gearbox ratios final drive ratio and the rolling
radii.

This is the age of computerised design, the gear and final drive ratios will be appropriate ones to maximise the use of power (and spread of) as well as allow comfortable cruising and decent mpg. This isn't the 1960s where a guy with an HB pencil behind his ear will sometimes get the gearing hopelessly wrong or a financially stretched company tries to use the same gearbox ratios and final drive across the range, so given that, horsepower figures against the weight of the vehicle will give you a reasonably accurate sense of the vehicle's performance.

Torque v 0-60 times - Lygonos
As gross approximation it is engine power vs vehicle+driver weight that accounts for acceleration figures. (nb. note SteveLee's comment on forced induction - same peak power should be a bit quicker than a NA engine as the area under the rpm/torque curve will be greater = more work done through the rev-range)

There are so many confounding factors that no simple formula will work for all cars.

Even different ambient temperatures can significantly affect power output (and to an extent wind resistance).

And also: take manufacturer's figures with a pinch of salt, and in real world driving you'll find automatics not as much slower than manuals as the figures would have you believe.

Edited by Lygonos on 28/01/2010 at 17:59

Torque v 0-60 times - Manatee
>>What a load of rubbish has been talked!!

No, not really - see Steve's answer.

NC hits the nail on the head - 44% more power, 32% better 0-60, so mostly about power. The Fiesta will presumably be heavier which will account for some of the gap between the percentages.

At maximum torque, if at similar revs, the engines having similar torque will have similar power - the Smart if lighter will probably pull ahead. However it looks as if the Fiesta has higher torque and/or higher revs at maximum power which gives it the all important power advantage when flat out.

Plus which a Smart is just rubbish ;-)

Edited by Manatee on 28/01/2010 at 17:58

Torque v 0-60 times - Andy P
Have a read of this:

www.carkeys.co.uk/features/technical/636.asp

Have a read of this:
www.carkeys.co.uk/features/technical/636.asp

Ugh!, nasty!

One example of the nastiness;

" Physicists define power as "work done" "

No, they do not! Power is defined as work done **per unit time**.

The mathematics of road load prediction and gear ratio matching have been known and practiced for a long time before computers were involved.

One interesting aside is that the 3 cylinder diesel will have a large flywheel to smooth out the torque fluctuations - which will mean the effective mass of the vehicle when in low gears will be much higher than a trip to the weighbridge might suggest. This won't help its 0 - 60 times.

Edited by Number_Cruncher on 28/01/2010 at 19:00

Torque v 0-60 times - daveyjp
Is the smart an auto?

From our experience of the original cars the smart time is probably more accurate than the Fiesta as the ECU has more control. The smart had rev limit protection to protect the clutch, so you couldn't floor it and get an instant take off. The ECU limited the power.

Change points are also critical. The smart had a 6 speed box, the Fiesta 5. Fiesta will do 60 in third, the smart 4th and gearchanges weren't quick.

So whilst power and torque affect it, it wont be as much as the raw figures suggest due to mechanical differences.

Compare 30-50 and 50-70 times and see how close the cars are.

We used to get better take off in the smart by putting it into first, then tapping the throttle until revs were up to about 5,000 - doing this quickly means the clutch doesn't engage. At 5,000 floor it and it would do a much better start.

We also found better times could be had if you floored the gas pedal before changing up the gearbox as it increased the engine revs ready for the next gear.

I doubt the testers did any of this.
Torque v 0-60 times - nortones2
I'll bet they did! Its not exactly arcane. And worse.... If I recall, makers expect the transmission to take a number of road-tester type starts, before demise of the kit. Six, I think it was.
Torque v 0-60 times - cheddar
What year Fiesta?

AFAIAA a 1.4 Fiesta is 96bhp.

Torque v 0-60 times - Bromptonaut
0-60 time is pretty meaningless in the real world. What matters is 30-50 or 50-70, torque helps there.
Torque v 0-60 times - Peterexhaustpiper
Bromptonaut,

"0-60 time is pretty meaningless in the real world. What matters is 30-50 or 50-70, torque helps there"

Hmmm...

Not so sure about that one...

When my Diesel FR was standard (150ps) before the remap (180-200 ps) I used to drive to & fro from work across large roundabouts during rush-hour.

Particularly if I was in the left-lane taking the 2nd exit, I noticed that a lot of 1.4 Fiesta size cars & 1.6 Astra sized cars with 100Bhp or less could quite easily overtake my car - beating me to the 2nd exit, cutting-in from the right-hand lane even when I was still accelerating quite swiftly with 3/4 of the PSI from the turbo.

They can ram the car in 2nd gear upto 60 & this gives them a huge advantage for overtaking quickly.
If I really wanted to drop a cog & accelerate alongside them to block them from doing it my FR could have done that without too much grief - but doing this will cause a pit-manouvre type collision so its best to let them cut in.

Having a TDi, I have noticed that a lot of 80-100Bhp cars are obviously no match for a 150 when the pedals to the metal but they can definately hold their own ground against a TDi when they want. Especially if I have left it in a higher-gear or the PSI is around 3/4 of the way. People say they are slow but I think if they can hold their ground against a 150, they are still quite fast & offer enough adequate speed to be potentially dangerous driven in the wrong hands.

Obviously on a race-track its different, but everyday 1.4's & 1.6's on a normal road might look like harmless overtakable cars but they can be little wolves hiding in sheeps skin. Thats the magic of Petrol Twin-cam engines with fuel injection & 16-valves I suppose.

Thats the magic of being in the right gear.<<

There, fixed it for you.
Lygonos,

Diesel Turbo lag + being in a high gear is not a good mix.

Easily done though, I've often thought - hey that nice chick in the 1.4 Fabia MPI is shifting rather fast for a 1.4. Shes getting away from me!
Oops, hang on, I'm thrashing it in 4th gear under 2,000 RPM, no wonder why!

- Shift it back to 2nd or 3rd gear in the torque range then floor it! - She won't be able to run or hide! ha ha

Torque v 0-60 times - b308
Just out of interest where do all these drivers come from that are trying to race you, PeP?
b308

In rush-hour traffic its just typical behaviour for people to deliberatly use the incorrect lanes just to queue-jump or get ahead of everyone else, People just want to get home ASAP rather than safely.

I was in the left-lane of a roundabout, intending to use the 2nd exit (straight ahead) an irate woman in an 09 Fiesta Zetec overtook me in the right-hand lane also intending to use the same exit. I let her go as I just could not be bothered. I didn't realise there was also an additional Vauxhall Corsa overtaking me from the right aswell - doing exactly the same thing as what the Fiesta did. Both cars used the right hand lane on the roundabout approach to overtake me in a fit of "Must get home" syndrome. As I was approaching my exit & signalling off - the other manic woman in the Corsa almost pit-manouvred me from behind getting to the exit.

After the Fiesta did it I thought: Enough is Enough now, you are not going to bully me when I'm in the correct lane for the appropriate exit - I'm putting my foot down on this one - quite literally.

Got flashed by the female in the Corsa but it was her own fault!?

Edited by Peterexhaustpiper on 29/01/2010 at 16:18

I was refering to your other tales really... just you seem to get more than your fair share of people who drive aggressively towards you... ah well, I suppose it keeps them away from me! ;)
b308

I have a personalised reg which probably answers the question of encountering more idiots then most people -> I've been trying to sell it for 6months now because it is purely a magnet for idiots, if you knew my plate you will understand why I get so much greif from other motorists. Its not rude in any way, It relates to the cars make/model/secification <- I'm not saying exactly what it is in a public forum but I'm sure you have some idea of what it might spell. Same numberplates as MG** ZRS for an MG ZR or C0R54 for a Vauxhall Corsa.

I get it all the time when I'm out, One time a guy was harassing me over my plate calling me this & that - who do I think I am, when I did nothing to him. He was saying I'm an idiot because he didn't like what my plate says <- what can I do? it came with the car - its not my fault its on there!
Is it one of these?

www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23500

Made non-clickable as mucho bad language.
No mines more relating to the car itself.

that ones Sha**y on an MGF

Mines the same as having MG** ZST on an MGZS
Torque v 0-60 times - corax
I noticed a lot of 1.4 Fiesta size cars & 1.6 Astra sized cars with 100bhp or less could quite easily overtake my car
Thats the magic of Petrol Twin-cam engines with fuel injection & 16-valves I suppose.

They'll have a better throttle response with no turbo to have to wait for to boost up, but more importantly, they're lighter. A diesel Leon is quite a heavy beast from a standing start. Put a 100 bhp petrol engine in a Westfield and that's a formidable weapon.
"They'll have a better throttle response with no turbo to have to wait for to boost up, but more importantly, they're lighter"

Not if you drop to the lowest possible gear over 2,000RPM & gave it full boot then the 1.4/1.6 Fiesta/Astra sized cars trying to overtake are going to be toast. If you have an FR Mk1 or have driven an FR with the 150 Diesel then you will know that despite the heavy weight & understeer, they can still out-handle the steel wheeled cars. FR's understeer but have lots of grip from the wide-wheels. If you had say, an Astra 1.6 at 98Bhp then tried to keep up with an FR around a corner, you would probably slide over & crash whereas an FR will grip the corner.

They are heavy from a standing start but they will still beat a 100 horsepower car

0-60 FR TDI: 8.5

0-60 1.4/1.6 100Bhp average car: 10.5

Torque v 0-60 times - s.v.u.
Hmmm, a Smart is rubbish then, is that officially or just in your opinion ??
Torque v 0-60 times - Manatee
It was a joke explanation, albeit a feeble one, for the performance difference as the ;-) gave away.

I have never driven one, so it is not my opinion. It may be official though ;-)

Edited by Manatee on 29/01/2010 at 07:21

Torque v 0-60 times - L'escargot
The thing which really matters is the tractive effort ~ the force pushing the car along ~ at the point of contact of the driving wheels on the ground. For a given car this depends on the engine torque, the overall gearing and the rolling radius of the tyres. The overall gearing of diesels is (usually) higher than for petrols and this reduces proportionally the torque at the wheels. For a given torque at the wheels, the tractive effort is inversely proportional to the rolling radius ~ the larger the rolling radius the lower is the tractive effort.

Edited by L'escargot on 29/01/2010 at 07:02

Torque v 0-60 times - ijws15
The tables only give you ONE measure of torque and ONE measure of power - normally both the maximum.

Unless you have a CVT which maintains engine revs at the correct engine speed to achieve these the figure are meaningless.

What matters is the variation of the figures over the engine speed range.

The smart may have a peaky torque and power curve but the Fiesta a flat one, or a combination of both.

It was nice when manufacturers used to put torque and power curves into their brochures . . .
>>these the figure are meaningless.

Far from it. There's more information hidden there.

From these figures, one can fit approximate curves for power and torque, which when used with the other vehicle properties such as mass, frontal area, drag co-efficient, rolling resistance, gear ratios, can provide estimate of performance like 0 - 60 times which are close enough to the ones quoted for initial assessments to be made.

The thing which really matters is the tractive effort

Now thats something that I've never seen used in realtion to a cars' power delivery before... trains yes, but never cars... where would you find out TE outputs for cars, then L'escargot, rolling road figures, perhaps?

Edited by b308 on 29/01/2010 at 09:57

>>where would you find out TE

You've got to calculate it.

As an intial estimate, ignoring friction and inefficiency in the transmission;

TE is the engine torque divided by the overall gear ratio divided by the rolling radius of the wheel.

So, it's a straightforward scaling of the torque curve, and has a higher value when you're in a lower gear.

It's use is that if you then divide the TE by the car's effective mass, you have an estimate for the car's acceleration.

You can do an entirely analagous calculation using engine power (you still need to know the gear ratios and rolling radius) - it's a matter of preference, and obviously, there's no difference in the answer. In other words, "The thing which really matters is the tractive effort" is only true of you happen to be doing the calculations that way.

I've written these before, so, apologies to those who are bored with them;

In any one gear, you get the maximum acceleration when the engine is running at the speed for peak torque.

If you have a perfect CVT, the car will accelerate fastest with the engine running at the speed for maximum power.
Sorry to sound thick, NC, but would a rolling road give you the same?
>>would a rolling road give you the same?

Yes, a good, resistive, rolling road would be able to give you a good estimate of the tractive effort at the roadwheel.

Thanks!
In other words "The thing which really matters is the
tractive effort" is only true if you happen to be doing the calculations that way.

The point I was trying to make is that (for a given model and mass of car) engine output torque is meaningless unless you take into account the overall gearing and the rolling radius of the tyres. Most people (particularly diesel freaks) seem to think that engine output torque is the be-all-an-end-all of acceleration.

Edited by L'escargot on 29/01/2010 at 12:54

Most people (particularly diesel freaks) seem to think
that engine output torque is the be-all-an-end-all of acceleration.

Shame you made that comment, particularly the bit in the brackets, those of us who prefer diesel traction (not freaks btw!) do so because for most of the time a car is moving and so standing starts are less important, a decent turbo diesel results in less gear changes to make the same progress than a petrol and often smoother delivery and easier overtaking... and thats why I prefer 'em to the equivelent petrol, they are simply less hassle to drive.
Shame you made that comment .........

Shame you appear not to know that tractive effort is more important than quoted engine output torque.
;-)
Not enough people seem to know about turbo-petrol these days ;-)

Drives like a TD, only better!
In any one gear, you get the maximum acceleration when the engine is running at the speed for peak torque. <<

Not entirely true - as kinetic energy increases at the square of the speed you need more power to maintain the same acceleration as you go faster, even in the same gear.

A perfectly flat torque curve (yeah, i know...) will have gradually slowing acceleration as velocity rises, surely ?
>>Not entirely true

It's close enough for our discussions!

The tractive effort required to overcome drag (the kinetic energy and power is actually not the right argument) does increase with vehicle speed, and so, the maximum acceleration in any particular gear will be just below the engine speed for maximum torque - but, the effect is small.

>>surely ?

Yes, as drag increases with speed. If we were talking about vehicles in space, then, for non-relativistic speeds, the acceleration would remain constant.

In the real world the actual torque difference between 91lb/ft & 96lb/ft is zilch if you raced them together as petrols. The car manufacturers official stats written on paper/parkers & the power thats given to the cars when they leave the factory are two different things. They vary.

"I'm a bit mystified though how that doesn't relate to better 0-60 times (that probably sounds an incredibly stupid thing to say) and wondered if..."

Sadly... The 0.8 Smart CDI doesn't have a greater torque advantage over a 1.4 Fiesta if the torque difference is only 6lb/ft. Its exactly the same pulling power in the real world...

The reason why a petrol is usually quicker/faster than a Turbo Diesel (0-60) is because Petrols hold a higher rev-range approximately 2,000 RPM further up than Diesels. Unless the Diesel has double the lb/ft of torque over the petrol car, the petrol car will always leave the Diesel in its rear view mirror because the Diesel will have to drop its acceleration momentarily for another gear change.

On most standard/high gear ratio cars this is roughly how the Petrol/Diesel gearing/shift speed works out...

Petrol:
1,000 2,000 3,000 4,000 5,000 6,000 RPM

1st gear hits: 30-35
2nd gear hits: 55-60

Diesel:
1,000 2,000 3,000 4,000 RPM

1st gear hits: 20-25
2nd gear hits: 35-40
3rd gear hits: 65-70

Obviously that doesn't make all petrols faster than Diesels full-stop, if the Petrol is a 1.4 90/100 (less than 100lb/ft) & the Diesel is a 1.9 130/150 (236lb/ft) then the Diesel is the quicker/faster one, obviously. - I wouldn't have a Diesel FR right now if it was statistically slower than a 1.4 Skoda Fabia MPI <- There would be something seriously wrong with an FR TDi if an average-small 1.4 (0-60: 10-11s) could beat a stock 1.9 130/150 (0-60 8-9s/9-10s)

:-)

I've done quite a bit of amateur drag racing over the years (road car and biike RYWBs mainly) - it's surprising how accurately you can calculate peak horsepower from the quarter mile and terminal speeds if you know the weight of the vehicle, or bike and rider.

I've found changing the gearing can make a car or bike feel quicker or slower but again it doesn't make as much difference as I'd expect to full throttle acceleration, for instance on standard gearing on my bike I was having to snatch 4th gear and running 10.2s, I shortened the gearing to fully utilise fourth and which gave me 1 tenth, I then lengthened the gearing to hold 3rd across the line the result 9.96@151mph. The ET for the 10.2s was 153mph, the slower time gives you more time to accelerate hence the higher speed through the trap - strange but true! All that performance with only about 110 foot pounds of torque! :-)