04 1.6 misfiring - burkie
Having problems with Focus zetec misfiring. Have changed the coil and leads, it run ok for a few days but the problem started up again. The engine management light has come back on. A neighbour had a fault code reader which came up as p2300 but its not listed in the book of codes that he has. Any ideas please?
04 1.6 misfiring - jason_goncalves

Hi Burkie,

From what I can tell its the ignition coil fault. I have a 56 Focus sport 1.6. Did you ever manage to figure out what the problem was on this? I am having teh same issue at the moment. Reading online it seems to be surrounding the wiring connector that runs into the ignition coil. Bad part is, you cant buy this on its own! Have to get the whole loom from Ford which is near £300! I have changed the coil and leads, plugs should have been done at the service around 6 months ago. Car cut out twice now at lights and wouldnt restart. Popped the bonnet, fiddled with this lead and PRESTO! it starts again! Its a very intermitant issue and it keep throwing the warning light on. Would appreciate a response from anyone on this.

Edited by jason_goncalves on 15/11/2013 at 14:50

04 1.6 misfiring - Kev111

Hi,

This fault code relates to the primary circuit, the fault will almost certainly be the wiring from the relay (not to exclude the relay itself), the block connector on the ignition coil pack, or the wiring (less likely, but not impossible) from the block connector on the coil pack back to the PCM (Engine ECU). The first check would be to re-connect the block connector and take a voltage measurement on the feed coming into the coil pack with the engine running! Be careful to get the right terminal as there are some very high 'back voltages' if you choose the wrong terminal that will damage the test meter and you as well if you touch the probe during test!! The voltage measurement should be approximately source voltage which will be charge voltage with the engine running. It's OK if it's slightly lower for example charge voltage = 14.5 volts, actual voltage at block connector is 13.8 volts, this would still generate a good field in the coil.

Hope this is of some help Kev