Potholes - what should Councils do? - BobbyG
I think its fair to say that all over the country, the roads are full of potholes and some serious ones at that. Now, although the roads were not ideal prior to the cold snap its fair to say many of these are as a result of this cold snap.

Its easy to criticise Councils and expect them to get out there and fix them all immediately but in reality that can't work due to manpower, budgets etc.

So unless the Govt wave a magic billion extra pounds to the Councils for road fixing, how do you suggest they go about repairing these?

Would it be a suggestion for each council to do a survey and then publish a plan of works ie. here are the priorities and here is the list of the roads we will fix this week?

Its easy for us all to moan but I am not so sure what the solution is. In the past you could report a serious large pothole and it would get filled that day but now there are so many of these seriously large potholes you wonder how they prioritise them!

Potholes - what should Councils do? - Pugugly
The magic billions just ain't going to happen ! Most LAs are on the skids and looking at chopping front line services over the next few years - sadly there is no silver bullet now and soon it's going to be a choice between pot holes, teaching posts and social services and I reckon that pot holes will be low down on the list of fixes. The bright spot is that we are close to the end of the financial year - most "jobs" need to be invoiced by mid to late February so that the books can balanced by April 1st - so if there is an underspend ear-marked for road maintainance there may be a flurry of pot hole filling.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - bathtub tom
I keep reporting them and they get done.

If a hole's reported and not repaired in a reasonable time, AFAIK, if it subsequently causes damage the council are liable.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - b308
Ours are getting filled, but to me the problem seems to be that the "fillings" are not very robust...
Potholes - what should Councils do? - Pugugly
Exactly the same here - bag of tarmac solution, sort of half halfheartedly compacted.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - Old Navy
Same here, poor quality quick fixes that will not last long.
Seems to be a similarity of fixing methods. All equally financially challenged?
Potholes - what should Councils do? - gordonbennet
Don't know whats to do, but i'm of the opinion that our roads will deteriorate progressively over the next number of years and far worse than they are now.

It may be case of self help, specifying our cars and tyre/wheel choices to suit our future roads.
That will upset the anti 4X4 people. :)
Potholes - what should Councils do? - gordonbennet
Doesn't have to be 4x4 Navy, and i for one don't want to have to explain to the peoples committee here the reasons why i should be granted permission to buy another..''you want more boy''..;)

I'm thinking of how certain cars stand out as perfectly able to cope with almost any road surface you throw at them...Berlingo stands out by a mile but i found Note impressive too for example...sensible 65 aspect tyres and long travel suspension helping no end.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - Altea Ego
its the sheer number of them thats the problem, from what I see there are 100s of them per mile, its an exercise in logistics and speed as much as anything else.

In the old days, great care was taken in sealing up the aftermath in roadworks, care was taken to pour tar round the joins and cracks to ensure water did not enter.

It doesent happen now, a hole is filled with rough tarmac and thats all. You cant blame the council for that, that is due to the slipshod of work of the utilities who dig them up in the first place.

They should be forced to guarantee the quality of their work, if it breaks up within 5 years they should be forced to rectify it.
Doesn't have to be 4x4 Navy and i for one don't want to have to
explain to the peoples committee here the reasons why i should be granted permission to
buy another..

If the road quality continues to deteriorate, which it will, with a lack of maintenance and continued poor repairs, in 5 to 10 years we will have third world comparable road surfaces. The average car will not withstand that treatment for long no matter what wheels and tyres it is fitted with. You would need something built like a 1930's Bentley or a 4x4.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - L'escargot
You would need something built like a 1930's
Bentley or a 4x4.

A lot of Chelsea Tractors have low profile tyres, which will make the wheels very vulnerable to damage when going over a pothole.
A lot of Chelsea Tractors have low profile tyres which will make the wheels very
vulnerable to damage when going over a pothole.

>>
Chelsea tractor drivers have more money than sense, drug dealer wheels are their problem. Real world 4X4's will be OK.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - 1400ted
I've noticed quite a few holes that weren't there before the freeze. Even the bigger wheels and tyres on the Suzi get a real jolt from some of them. I hate to think what these are doing to inch thick sports tyres on alloys. Worse, some of them are a real threat to bikers. I can see a few serious ' offs ' happening in our area, I've been making a mental note of the worse ones.
I hope no-one seeing me weaving around them thinks I've been at the grog !

Ted
Potholes - what should Councils do? - ifithelps
Most potholes I see in County Durham are filled within a few days, so hats off to the council for that.

As regards budgets, for all the good they do, I'd sack 20 teachers, save 10 wages and put 10 extra men on road maintenance.

Potholes - what should Councils do? - WorkshopTech
Most potholes I see in County Durham are filled within a few days so hats
off to the council for that.
As regards budgets for all the good they do I'd sack 20 teachers save 10
wages and put 10 extra men on road maintenance.

Theres a double bonus from sacking teachers because in ten years time there will be more unqualified blokes eager to work on the roads! Why squander money on educating people?

Serously though, roads in my corner of the world are being patched up OK, they seem to be getting to the jobs quickly. Wife complained to the council that there was a lot of litter building up in our village and to their credit they were out the next day with a pick up and some litter pickers, cant complian at all.

Anything with very low profile tyres will poss get damaged by potholes, they are only a fashion item anyway. Still with sensible wheels and tyres.
yes good idea, you would then generate 3,000 undeducated and skillless boys who are only capable of working on road mending gangs.

If they were not keying your car, stealing your radio or spraying graffiti over your front door.
...yes good idea...

We are straying a bit here, but there are any number of comprehensives where few pupils emerge with any meaningful qualifications.

I don't blame the teachers, there is a significant number of young people - who know their rights - who refuse to be educated, so why bother trying?

Education - and social services - sucks up a large percentage of a local authority's budget.

So, getting back to motoring, I genuinely believe some of that money could be usefully diverted to highways/environment.

Potholes - what should Councils do? - crunch_time
I thought they were doing well in the Southend area until I discovered the roadworks teams were not filling potholes but creating new 'speed bumps' !

Potholes - what should Councils do? - redviper
I have come across a large amount of potholes in the Darlington area and have used fixmystreet.com to report them.
Darlington Council (separate from Durham Council) seem to be quick if you point out that it will cost them if you don?t

Last year at the end of my street there where huge holes in the road that covered the entire with of my street, the car used to bounce into them and thump about in the very wide in diameter hole. It was terrible really.
After putting up with it a month or so I used the site to report it and I got a email back from the council saying that it was in their plan for refurbishment in 2010 and if I looked closer I would see that the area was already spray marked out (I did look closer and it wasn?t)

I emailed back pointing this out, also pointing (politely) out that as I have already reported it and it was the only entrance to my street, should my suspension break as a result. I will be having manufacturer fitted repairs and the council will be billed for it

2 days later the pothole was completely repaired!
Potholes - what should Councils do? - DP
It's a good point about utility companies and the like failing to make good repairs to road surfaces after they have dug them up for cables and pipes. A few times in the past couple of years in my area, a beautifully smooth, recently resurfaced road has been butchered to lay pipes or cables, and the repair afterwards has been woefully inadequate. Most of the potholes to appear from under the recent snow melt in these parts have occurred around these badly repaired/replaced sections of tarmac.

Given the intense pressure on public finances, and local authorities paying out £65 million last year in damages caused by poor road surfaces, I'm surprised this situation has been allowed to continue.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - corax
The roads that are worst for potholes are also the busiest. So, the road mending teams are damned if they do and damned if they don't, as they will cause traffic congestion if repairing them.

Last year, they resurfaced a busy section of road near me on night shift. Works brilliantly. But maybe its too costly to do this for potholes. They must have a list of road mending jobs that goes halfway round the world this year. Even the Tesco car park near us is riddled with deep craters, I've never seen that until now.

Edited by corax on 24/01/2010 at 13:39

Potholes - what should Councils do? - the swiss tony
Last year they resurfaced a busy section of road near me on night shift.
Works brilliantly. But maybe its too costly to do this for potholes.

IMHO the roads arent being resurfaced properly, and that causes the potholes in the 1st place.
if the existing road surface was removed, as I seem to remember happened a lot in the dim and distant past, rather than just slapping another layer of tarmac and stones on top, then we would have a decent road surface that would last a lot longer.
I have seen roads where they dont even bother filling the potholes before slapping on another layer, all that does is rounds off the edges of the pothole!
Potholes - what should Councils do? - bell boy
get the council to look into them
Potholes - what should Councils do? - sandy56
Yes if the potholes were correctly repaired then they would not reappear, at least not for a long time.

There is some good road repair treatments available, I did some research on this, but from what I have seem the council are using a bit of asphalt and grit mixture which doesnt last, which means having to come back and do it again.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - Stuartli
In fairness to utilities' contractors and road repairs, we have had virtually the whole town torn apart to lay new water pipes (United Utilities) a couple of years ago.

The contractors, at least in my area, proved not only highly efficient at pipes' replacement, but also showed a refreshing ability to reinstate the road surfaces to a very high standard.

Certainly none of their work has "come apart" during the recent month of very cold and freezing conditions, whereas the council's equivalent have to keep coming back every 12 months or so to put right what they did originally.

At least two very bad potholes, repaired less than six months ago by them, have just been repaired again after the "filling" lifted away completely.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - CraigP
Could we use different surfaces than tarmac to proactively avoid the situation?
Stu,

What do you think of the Southport to Liverpool road?

I used it over Christmas and it gets my vote as the longest stretch of potholed and poorly surfaced road in the country.

Being in a square wheeled Honda Civic didn't help, but I still wince at the thought of that journey.

We returned a different way.

Potholes - what should Councils do? - b308
I have to say that looking at the potholes recently formed, the majority do seem to be on the edges between untilities holes and the original road surface... Perhaps they need to look at how the two surfaces are matched up in more detail?

Edited by b308 on 24/01/2010 at 15:48

Potholes - what should Councils do? - Andy P
You can always try this:

www.fixmystreet.com/
Potholes - what should Councils do? - Falkirk Bairn
Data.gov.uk claims it is Govt sponsored opened last week and it has a Road fault reporting facility.

Data,gov.uk claims to bring uses of the net to the citizen.
The pot hole application is a joint venture with the UK Cycling community.

Both are fatally flawed - it does not cover the UK as Scottish Postcodes are not recognised.

Emailed Cycling Website that claims to be the UK Cycling asking why it excludes about 40%of the UK land mass - still waiting for an acknowledgement or a reply!!
Potholes - what should Councils do? - jbif
Data,gov.uk claims to bring uses of the net to the citizen. The pot hole application is a joint venture with the UK Cycling community. Both are fatally flawed - it does not cover the UK as Scottish Postcodes are not recognised. >>

The only app I could find there for potholes was this one:
data.gov.uk/apps/fillthathole

which leads to:
www.fillthathole.org.uk/

I cannot see where you enter the postcode on that website. I thought the google map locator was a good idea.

Edited by jbif on 24/01/2010 at 16:44

>>What do you think of the Southport to Liverpool road?>>

Depends which one you mean? You can go either via the Formby by-pass or through Halsall and Lydiate.

Not been on either to Liverpool for about two months, so can't comment.
...Not been on either to Liverpool for about two months, so can't comment...

Fair enough, but if anyone else would like to comment it was the A565, which takes in the Formby bypass.

I thought the stretch leaving Southport was particularly poor.

Potholes - what should Councils do? - diddy1234
just returned from north Wales.

Roads there were very good with no potholes at all, very odd considering the amount of snow piles still around and apparently two foot of snow they had.

Yet here in Hertfordshire the roads are in a pink fluffy dice condition.
Numerous pot holes everywhere and yet we only had six inches of snow over this cold spell.

Just shows the cheap road repairs don't stand up to much abuse from vehicles or weather.
Still, it is nice to know our council tax goes on inferior road repairs*

* Our main road repair consisted of spraying a sticky surface then piling a load of loose gravel on the surface.
Then get every car to drive down the road at a 20mph limit for two weeks before coming back to brush off the loose stones.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/01/2010 at 18:01

Potholes - what should Councils do? - corax
They don't seem to suffer from potholes in the Scottish Highlands. But I think they build the roads to a certain 'standard' in order to shrug off winter abuse. They press granite chips into the tar but leave them raised so that the water drains around them and off the sloped sides. Also they don't have the constant heavy weight of traffic. Maybe its the same in North Wales to a certain degree.

Someone from Scotland will now tell me I'm completely wrong... :-)
The rural roads in Scotland are usually well maintained, pity the same can't be said of the urban ones. Traffic density may be part of the answer, but the rural roads don't get dug up frequently to access services and then poorly repaired.

Edited by Old Navy on 24/01/2010 at 17:17

Potholes - what should Councils do? - Harleyman
just returned from north Wales.
Roads there were very good with no potholes at all very odd considering the amount
of snow piles still around and apparently two foot of snow they had.
Yet here in Hertfordshire the roads are in a pink fluffy dice condition.
Numerous pot holes everywhere and yet we only had six inches of snow over this
cold spell.

Much the same in South Wales as the North. If we're coming back from England and Mrs. H is driving whilst I'm getting a little shut-eye, i do not need to see the Severn Bridge to remind me I'm back in Wales; the road surface is just much smoother.

I used to live in Stevenage in the early 1990's, diddy, and the roads were awful even then.
>>I thought the stretch leaving Southport was particularly poor.>>

Again, I would normally go via the coastal road to Woodvale first or, alternatively, as it is just as convenient, via Town Lane and Guildford Road.

However, sections of Lulworth Road have been uneven and containing pot holes for some time - certainly not the condition expected of a main route into or out of Lord Street.

But the view of many Southport residents is that Sefton Council much prefers to look after its council tax payers in the southern areas on the outskirts of Liverpool...:-(

That will probably be even more true now with so many new pot holes having been created due to around a month of hard packed snow and ice, combined with freezing temperatures.

Edited by Stuartli on 24/01/2010 at 19:45

Potholes - what should Councils do? - Nsar
Hats off to Rochdale Council.

Their long time policy of being utterly useless at road repair has finally paid dividends. After the cold snap they can now report that although hundreds of new ones have appeared or worsened, the number of potholes in the Borough has increased by a mere .0001%.

Trebles all round and time to create the post of pothole outreach project liaison officer (jobshare) on £40k a year, but due to cutbacks, no car so the post will be desk based only, so he/she will have look of their window to try spot new potholes (binocular allowance)

Edited by Nsar on 24/01/2010 at 20:09

Potholes - what should Councils do? - turbo11
The roads in my particular rural part of Oxfordshire were pretty poor before this winter. Now they are truly awful. Many of the roads have potholes,some are bunched together so badly, that when driving at night you have to swerve onto the wrong side of the road to prevent destroying your tyres and alloys.
I have pre iously reported potholes to the council and the Highways Agency, and have found them very efficient at reacting to my reports. However I think at preent they are overwhelmed with the shear number of holes.
At car renewal time I shall be leaning towards purchasing a large off roader, similar to many of my neighbours.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - sporty
Trebles all round and time to create the post of pothole outreach project liaison officer
(jobshare) on £40k a year but due to cutbacks no car so the post will
be desk based only so he/she will have look of their window to try spot
new potholes (binocular allowance)

LOL. Presumably they are not offering a car because of the cost of replacement wheels / tyres when company car hits said potholes?!
The main thing is for drivers to report potholes to their local council, instead of just whinging about the potholes.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - Cliff Pope

With falling demand for mailbags owing to internet use, put prisoners to work breaking rocks and mending roads instead.
I agree. We should have "road gangs" as in the film Cool Hand Luke.
Are you trying to give the wishywashy, liberal, humanrightists, a heart attack?

Edited by Old Navy on 25/01/2010 at 12:25

Potholes - what should Councils do? - FotheringtonThomas
Yes - report them ASAP.

local.direct.gov.uk/LDGRedirect/index.jsp?LGSL=557...0

Note, unless the council have been informed of a pothole, they will most likely deny liability for damages.

I have had a thought (yes, I'm sitting down,. thank you) - perhaps the local council could use Utility Companies to fill holes at reasonable prices? Possibly cheaper than the council's own prices, anyway...

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 25/01/2010 at 12:32

Potholes - what should Councils do? - redviper
I have reported 6 "items" of potholes (4 of them are really deep and wide holes that could cause injury to cyclists (maybe)) this week alone to Darlington Borough Council using fixmystreet.com

all of which are en route to work so im very sure they wernt there a month or so ago they are very quick to acknowledge the email that is sent to them from the site - but we will have to wait and see if they are quick enough to fix it.

When the sewer collapsed outside Darlington library a few weeks ago leaving a trully massive hole in the road that was (rightly so) repaired very promtly so we will have to wait and see how quick these things get repaired

............ perhaps the
local council could use Utility Companies to fill holes at reasonable prices?

Our council employs Ringway. www.ringway.co.uk/page.php
They have a team dedicated to attending to minor repairs on roads and roadsides.

Edited by L'escargot on 25/01/2010 at 12:46

Potholes - what should Councils do? - ForumNeedsModerating
perhaps the local council could use Utility Companies

Oddly enough & not wanting to steal your idea - I was thinking the same (i had a sit down as well afterwards)

In any joined up world, without the pettifogging bureaucracy & mini-empire builders we seem to have in town halls, you'd not think it too difficult for requests to dig up the road could be cross-reffed against little patch up jobs needing to be done nearby - the guys are already out in the area, with the kit etc etc.

Although laudable in some sense, the 'ring us and we'll send out a team' approach to road maintenance must be more expensive when done on a case by case basis by council road crews - most of the cost is probably in setting up the crew, materials & council 'process'.

Pay the Utils a few bob extra and/or make it in some way more attractive in a 'you scratch my back' type of way for Utils to do this.

It will never ever happen of course - I could imagine: too many H&S 'issues', LA union objections, town hall tantrums etc etc.

Excellent post by Nsar btw - nearly inhaled my Jaffa cake reading it.

Potholes - what should Councils do? - J Bonington Jagworth
"its fair to say many of these are as a result of this cold snap"

Indeed, but it makes you wonder how they build roads where temperatures are lower and for longer.

Some of the resurfaced roads here (Isle of Wight) are delaminating, which will be fun to deal with!
We have a short exit road from a newly built bus station, it is slightly downhill and ends at a traffic light controlled "T" junction. It lasted about 3 weeks before the slowing busses ripped the surface off, a real quality job. The whole lot had to be removed to the foundation and relaid properly. (This was before the cold spell). Cheap repairs are false economy.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - ForumNeedsModerating
>>Cheap repairs are false economy.

True.

An old Jewish proverb I always (try) to abide by : you buy cheap, you buy twice.

Potholes - what should Councils do? - Cliff Pope
>> you buy cheap
you buy twice.

Demonstrably true with potholes. Our council had already filled all the holes last summer, by stamping in cheap tarmac. Now the frost has loosened them again.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - smokie
Could be cheaper to send a small gang round with some asphalt twice rather than the (w)hole works of street closures etc while they completely re-tarmac. A calculated risk I'd say.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - diddy1234
old navy, try telling that to the Polish kitchen fitters I have.

No idea at all how to fit and finish a kitchen at all.
I fear the kitchen won't last long.

Unfortunately I do not have a choice in the matter.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - rip
made me laugh today, i kid you not, here in leicester even the speed humps have potholes! all emerged after the snow and ice.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - astrabob
Local authorities have a legal responsibility to maintain (adopted) roads to safe and serviceable standards, and I expect them to do that.

Many local authorities (especially mine, which is Wirral) seem very good at wasting money, so I'm not interested in excuses that there's no money for carrying out their legal responsibilities.
.......... here in leicester even the speed humps
have potholes!

The last time I went through Leicester even the potholes had potholes!
;-)
Potholes - what should Councils do? - bhoy wonder
The simple fact is that the road system has been disregarded for 20 years plus. The government is getting about 40 billion a year from motorists and they cannot even keep the roads in a reasonable condition. In and around Glasgow the roads are a disgrace.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - BobbyG
Bhoy wonder, thats what prompted the thread. I drive about Glasgow nearly every day and the state of the roads, thinking London Rd, Ballater St, Eglington St to name a few are horrendous.
Round here, the council have been about marking up all the repairs required with some dull white paint.

Drivers are learning to miss them (some are really deep - I swear I saw magma, lava and whisps of sulphur leaking from one)

So councils, here is an idea. Dont use dull white paint, use something bright and flourescent and give us motorists a chance to see (and miss) the holes, while you are running around fixing them .
Potholes - what should Councils do? - Rattle
I've got pretty used to them now, driving with bent steering is actually quite fun :p

Actually the last pot hole I felt into corrected it, it now pulls to the right and not left. I do tend to miss most of them but some times if something is coming the other way at speed it is safer just to go into them if you can't slow down enough.

Some of them near me on a very narrow road opposite a school which taught people how to become Bee Gee's are so deep it would burst a tyre if you fall into them.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - FotheringtonThomas
You can often see them anyway, surrounded by bits of "gravel" (broken up tarmac).
BobbyG- Like you I drive around Glasgow every day and I can honestly say that a lot of the roads are dangerous and the council idea of dumping some as asphalt in the holes is a joke. I am sure there are 3rd world countries with better roads than Glasgow.

The roads you mention will have nice new roads installed just before the money sucking commonwealth games start.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - Andy P
Result!!!!

On the way from my place of work to the M53 J4, there was a rather large and deep pothole developing. Sent an e-mail to Wirral Borough Council and two days later it had been filled in!
I reported various dangerous pot holes to Glasgow Council over 2 weeks ago (via fix my street). To date none have been fixed.

Well done GCC glad to see you are on the ball.
Potholes - what should Councils do? - Falkirk Bairn
2 pot holes on main road.
10 mins start to finish.

Cold tar put in hole and flattened.

True solution would be dig out, fill with aggregate, tar then ashphalt - but that takes time and money - however this would last years.

10 min fix - may be last a few months
Potholes - what should Councils do? - Dynamic Dave
When my friend from the council used to do emergency repairs to pot holes on the A34 that had been reported, it was basically park the lorry on the verge, put on flashing beacons, fill shovel with tar, aim for a gap in the traffic and then run out into the road and chuck it in the hole and flatten down the best he could with his shovel in the time available before the next car / lorry came along and get out the way pretty sharpish. The rest of the flattening down was taken care by the vehicles that then came thundering by. Scary stuff.