04 1.6 Rear brake discs - annoyed777
Can anyone advise, I have the rear discs with the bearing in my 1.6 Hdi 307 and the NS one is making a noise. The pads were replaced about 2 months ago and I only do a few miles. I also had the wheel bearing done. So does that mean the other disc will not need replaced or can you replace the wheel bearing without doing the disc, or do both have to be done? Also have heard scary stories about replacing the pads with new discs, does it really have to be done? The disc looks rusty etc thru the alloy so I'm guessing it needs replacing. Can you just do one disc? I know its not advisable but is it possible?
04 1.6 Rear brake discs - bell boy
decent discs only come in pairs
cheap ones come individually
your problem is the mating surface of the old disc welds itself onto the hub and you usually have to knock 3 bells out of them to seperate them and then they are duff
it will need new pads too im afraid,unless the pads are near perfect and you can dab them on a flat sheet of 80 grit
04 1.6 Rear brake discs - RichardW
I think you're confusing the hub and the disc - the bearing and hub can't be separated, and hence you have to replace both if the bearing goes, making it more expensive than just a bearing replacement. No problem with replacing one bearing. You will have to remove the disc in order to replace the hub / bearing, which as bell boy says might destroy the disc. Discs must always replace be replaced in pairs, unless you fancy ending up in the nearest ditch, and as bb says, new pads unless the ones in there are relatively new. Discs £22.75ea and pad set £28.45 (all + HMG's share!) from GSF, so not the end of the world