98 1.4 Water in rear light clusters - morrelli
Hi all
My daughter has a 98 306 hatch and her rear light clusters fill with water (o/s worse than n/s) then the water seems to drip from the back of the unit into the boot well (wet carpets etc)
There are no obvious signs of cracks and i have reasealed the unit seal to the body but the water still gets in badly.
I have noticed that the water under the light unit seems to hold up at the botton of the unit (between that and the body) and when i release the two turn screws, that releases the unit, the water rushes out.
I am stumped... any ideas please
98 1.4 Water in rear light clusters - hairybob
I had the same problem with my 406 n/side rear. Water came in under the cluster into the boot, and down under the rear seat. I took the cluster off checked the rubber seal all ok, so I used clear silicone sealent for external use. Pulled off the rubber seal spread some in it and put it back on the cluster, and than spread ample around the opening in the body. Pushed cluster back home and tighten the two screws so surplus sealent is pushed out. Had no problems since. Bob
98 1.4 Water in rear light clusters - Andrew-T
None of my four 306s has let in any water by this route. If removing the whole unit and replacing it has not sorted the problem, I would suspect there may have been some distortion to the rear end. The only waterway into the boot near the lamps should be the two holes for the securing screws, so I would check the body seams and the weatherseal round the hatch. I once owned a 205 which let water into the boot because a seam at the base of the hatch opening had been inadequately filled with factory sealant.

Water runs down from the roof and should be able to escape below the lamp unit, and crud does build up there with time. Clean up everything and see what happens with a garden hose.
98 1.4 Water in rear light clusters - hairybob
hello morrelli, how did you get on with the water leak.
bob
98 1.4 Water in rear light clusters - tony@tooting
Take the lamps off and drill small hole in the bottom of the lamp assy.
98 1.4 Water in rear light clusters - morrelli
Only looked at it again this last weekend.
(Her boot and carpet were well wet again and the lens partly filled with water.
She had not even looked at it since i took it of and dried everything last month!!!!)
Anyway....i have taken your advice and sealed it as described, so hopefully it will be ok.
Thanks for the reply
cheers morrelli>> hello morrelli how did you get on with the water leak.