Securing your car - window security film? - simkit

Just considering any possibilities regarding improving the security on my MK5 Golf & came across window security film, much like tint film but clear & slightly thicker..

Has anyone had this fitted or have any experience of it?

Simon
Securing your car - window security film? - bell boy
not a good idea if you drive into a river where the central locking fails so you cant open the doors you cant kick the side glass out so you kick the back window out with your last gulp of fresh air escape the car tomb and get eaten by a crocodile
now what was the question?
Securing your car - window security film? - FotheringtonThomas
now what was the question?

Mine's a pint of what you're having. Would it be worse to be eaten by a hippo?
Securing your car - window security film? - Alanovich
Would it be worse to be eaten by
a hippo?

It would be a lot more surprising, considering they're herbivores. They'll kill you, but they wouldn't have you as the protein part of their salad.
Securing your car - window security film? - BobbyG
Scenario 1 - smash a window, reach in and grab whatever you have been stupid enough to leave in view.
Scenario 2 (with security film) - try and smash window, window shatters but doesn't push in, villain gets p'd off so also takes his baseball bat to the door panels, other windows and roof.

Which would you prefer? When was last time you had a window smashed on your car?
Securing your car - window security film? - L'escargot
When was last time you had a window smashed on your
car?

Never. I always make sure that there's nothing worth stealing on view. Jackets etc always go in the boot, because thieves might assume there could be something worthwhile in a pocket.
Securing your car - window security film? - grumpyscot
I usually leave the wife in the car - any thief is welcome to her! Wouldn't fancy his chances though if she got a hold of him - even her loud voice is enough to strike fear into the Taliban

Thanks (& not) for the replies....some good (& not) advice...obviously basic precautions help. The only thing is the car I bought came with the OEM Satnav system installed & I'd like to keep it - not really possible to remove...

Useful replies from anyone who has used the film would be great !!
Securing your car - window security film? - Snakey
I tried to use a similar film (many years ago!) on my old Austin Maestro (!) after having the windows broken a couple of times.

What a pain to fit, and then it peeled at the corners after about 6 months. I'm sure the stuff these days is a lot better but still a faff on to get fitted correctly.
Securing your car - window security film? - Dynamic Dave
only thing is the car I bought came with the OEM Satnav system installed &
I'd like to keep it - not really possible to remove...

You'll probably find that unless it's uninstalled via a computer, it won't work in any other car. Most thieves will know this as well.
Securing your car - window security film? - paul2007
Hi

I've got clear security film on my s class and Jeep hemi - reason for this is not a smash and grab whilst cars parked as i never leave anyhting on display - i never even allow my other half to chuck her handbag on the rear seats or keep on lap as there was a spat of smash and grabs around london a few years ago at crossings, lights/etc. Reason I've got it fitted is that5 this little low lives are jealous of niceish cars and give dirty looks and when you smile at them they get easily wound up - or as people cross through stationary traffic i've noted people look into cars to grab peoples goods - so it's a security thing, piece of mind for me. BTW, I lock the drivers door all doors if required as soon as i'm in the car - my cars can auto lock but i don't wait unti then - as soon as i get in, ignition key in just in case i have to dash if a car jacker appraoched - the s class cost quiet a few quid just like the jeep - better safe than sorry
Securing your car - window security film? - paul2007
btw - i used a company call pentagon
Securing your car - window security film? - CGNorwich
Best post yet Paul - Like the Pentagon touch. Nice to know they have time to fit window film in between arranging all that war stuff:-)
Thanks for the info Paul...

I've heard Pentagon mentioned before, unfortunately there's no centre near where I live (North Wales).

How does the fit/finish of the film appear - is it noticeable/does it reduce visibility at all ?

thanks

Simon

SNIPQUOTE!!!!!!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/01/2010 at 12:49

Securing your car - window security film? - BobbyG
Paul, you must get very stressed behind the wheel with all the things you have to worry about whilst driving!!
Securing your car - window security film? - LukeSmith

security films do offer better physical protection but they aren't energy efficient at all

I suggest you get tinted films but thicker ones - Solar Safe Films sell 6mil. If you're worried about someone trying to steal something from your car, good tinted windows should hold up quite well against the smacks of a baseball bat. You get both the physical protection as well as save up on fuel costs.

If you want to fit your own films, be prepared to spend a lot of time and at least a couple of hundred quid. Many in the past have complained the same things

It's easier to just go to a car dealer and get it done. They have the experience and that's what you're paying for. It would be around the same price as doing it yourself anyway.