Lorry headlights left on facing oncoming traffic. - ianhad2
Why do lorry drivers think it's OK to park, on the wrong side of the road, with head lights on?
The Highway Code says you MUST switch your lights off.

Edited by Pugugly on 20/01/2010 at 09:20

Lorries headlights - Chris M
Not just lorries.
Lorries headlights - Mick Snutz
I will probably be pilloried by the perfect ones on this forum but I will use my main beam if a car is blinding me by being parked on the wrong side of the road with its lights on.

Bottom line: I want to be able to see what's in front of me.
Lorries headlights - L'escargot
I will
use my main beam if a car is blinding me by being parked on the
wrong side of the road with its lights on.

Me too.
Lorries headlights - Armstrong Sid
I agree.

But how do you deal with someone driving towards you and dazzling; either because they stupidly don't realise they are on main beam, or because they simply have badly adjusted headlights.

Turning your own lights to full beam in that situation could be dangerous, so do you just have to tolerate such people, or is there a way to let them know?
Lorries headlights - Mick Snutz
I give them a chance to realise their error but usually remind them with a very quick flash rather than a blinding 3 second blast of light. If that doesnt work I give 'em a dose of horn as I pass.

Illegal? Yes
Irresponsible? probably.

Bothered? No!
Lorries headlights - Robin Reliant
>>but I will
use my main beam if a car is blinding me by being parked on the
wrong side of the road with its lights on.

Same here.
Lorries headlights - Old Navy
The Police and many other drivers do it as well, obbviously not top of many peoples priorities. If the driver is in the vehicle a dose of main beams sometimes works. I did when I flashed a traffic car.(With my main beams), I am not falling into that trap. :-)

Edited by Old Navy on 19/01/2010 at 12:20

Lorries headlights - ForumNeedsModerating
On the general point of main-beam on when passing another stopped on 'your' side of the road.
Often (when taking family out for an evening run - yes even in winter..!) park on the roadside verge/layby etc. I'll often turn off dipped beam & put side/fogs on - I think it gives extra visibility without dazzlling oncoming trafiic.

I applaud (not literally of course..) drivers in oncoming vehicles who use main-beam when they see me - it shows they're being cautious & maybe anticipating ingress/egress, people crossing the road etc. from a parked, but inhabited, car.
Lorries headlights - CGNorwich
Woodbines,

If you are parking on the "wrong" side of the road with your lights on then you are breaking the law:

Parking at night
You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.
[Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24]
All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).
Lorries headlights - zookeeper
I applaud (not literally of course..) drivers in oncoming vehicles who use main-beam when they
see me - it shows they're being cautious & maybe anticipating ingress/egress people crossing the
road etc. from a parked but inhabited car.

why dont you park on the correct side of the road and illiminate the risk of pedestrians having to cross the road
Lorries headlights - ForumNeedsModerating
Yes CGN/Mapmaker

I should have put and/or really. I sometimes park in a lay-by facing oncoming traffic - this is an A-road - parking on the 'right' side would put me in the traffic stream & make vehicles slow & move round me. The verges bit - always on my side - no reason to park on the other side - but then I leave side-lights & fogs on.

Not sure if these parking situations are against traffic regs. - I don't care really - my safety & family's come above that. I don't trust other drivers to observe & drive sensibly.

why dont you park on the correct side of the road and illiminate the risk of pedestrians having to cross the road

Well, they don't have to - I was just giving an example of why drivers passing parked occupied cars should use full beam - not that my passengers do or have to.
Lorries headlights - grumpyscot
I reckon the biggest offenders, in order, are:-

1. Taxis
2. Police cars
3. Shoppers
4. White Van Man
5. Truckers

The ones I let away with are Ambulances and Fire Appliances - they don't count in my book as they're likely to be carrying out a life-saving job.
Lorries headlights - Cliff Pope
You could add, almost anybody waiting at the side of the road or parked just off the road who is waiting with the lights on for someone else to get in, or to finish loading, or last minute wiping the windscreen.

People don't seem to think about their lights until they are actually "driving" - perhaps most headlights default to full beam when first turned on?
Lorries headlights - CQ
You missed out Royal Mail vans, a right pain parked on corners etc.
Lorries headlights - Old Navy
You missed out Royal Mail vans a right pain parked on corners etc.

Yes, a right pain getting your mail, parcels, internet purchases, and shopping delivered to your door. If things go the way of some other countries you will have to collect them from the sorting office.
Lorries headlights - CQ
I was actually commenting on mail vans collecting from post boxes not the delivery boys who are going to be delivering for TNT and City Link in the future when they strike once too often and ruin a once reputable company.