09 1.2 i10 classic - Rear drums/handbrake sticking - MikeMyers
This has happened a few times since new. Now done about 4000 miles.
I think it generally happens after wet conditions.
The last "stick" happened after an overnight park and a visit to the car wash !

Drums release after a hefty pull to get the car moving, and then seem OK.

Anyone else with this problem ?
09 1.2 i10 classic - Rear drums/handbrake sticking - Robin the Technician
As its a safety related matter i suggest you take it back to the dealer as it is under warranty.

Robin the Technician
Will do.

I was just wondering if the problem was common.

I found these problems on various posts:-

1. Squeeking noise from upper seatbelt mounts(both sides).
2. 'Whirring' noise - intermittent. Headlamp adjuster
3. After it rained for the first time, the brakes seized up and the car wouldn't move without some considerable revs.

My car suffers from all these faults.
The last one seems to be the one I'm posting about.

I could also add:-

4. Mirror vibrates at low revs in high gear - Very irritating !

Mike
09 1.2 i10 classic - Rear drums/handbrake sticking - aaflyer
Hi, Mike

I will add to this. ABS light coming on every few weeks, especially after starting first thing in the morning. At first it was the light not going out on the cluster; more recently the light comes on after about 100m. You need to stop, turn engine off and restart for it to disappear.

At the first service, two historic fault codes came up and I was told that if it got any worse to come back. It has as the light comes on every morning - never any other time. I've got it booked in for next week, but am wondering now what it could be?

Something to do with it standing overnight?? Or could it be it sitting in Park (it's an auto' I10) overnight - not that I shouldn't be doing that... Additionally, there's an audible smooth, metal to metal sound from the front right for the first 150m after the car has been parked for, say, over 5-6 hourse

Either way, it's not what I expect from a year old car... Thankfully the 5 year warranty will cover... But certainly not happy!!

AA
09 1.2 i10 classic - Rear drums/handbrake sticking - Mike22
Rear brakes sticking are a known problem especially after an overnight freeze. My local dealer claimed the brake pads were the cause. My car is booked in for the dealer to 'look into the problem'.
In view of the force needed to release the pads I am concerned that the calipers could sustain damage.
09 1.2 i10 classic - Rear drums/handbrake sticking - slowdown avenue
ive 1.2 auto and have problems 1,2and3. but only the once was back brake stuck. overall iam really glad i bought this car. allthough mpg is not great
09 1.2 i10 classic - Rear drums/handbrake sticking - tini

I have been experiencing the exact same problems. For the whirring noise, they have apparently replaced two different parts, as I have taken it to the dealer on different occasions and yet it still makes a random whirring noise.

The handbrake on mine keeps sticking and making a clunk noise. It doesn't happen all the time but does quite a lot. It doesn't seem to matter what the weather is it happens in dry weather too! Has anyone got this fixed on theirs? As when I took it to the dealer over this problem they just said it was the frozen weather and that brakes were "dirty". I am taking it again but find it hard to believe that the brakes have got dirty twice in one year when other people I know with cars never experience this problem!

09 1.2 i10 classic - Rear drums/handbrake sticking - Doc

Drums release after a hefty pull to get the car moving and then seem OK.

>>

Sorry to be pedantic, but the i10 has rear disc brakes.
Doc,

Sorry to be pedantic, but the i10 classic has rear drum brakes !

Mike
09 1.2 i10 classic - Rear drums/handbrake sticking - HantsHog

Replying to old post but it would appear that the original i10's from 2008 onwards had rear discs (as on my 10 plate Comfort). The latest 2011 facelifted version have drums on the rear.

Edited by HantsHog on 19/05/2011 at 18:10