95 1.0 Book lock will not turn with the key - C12
I have a 95 plate vw polo and for some bizarre reason the boot lock will not unlock (it does not have central locking) the key will go right into the lock but will not turn at all.
I have no idea what this can be, it feels as though maybe the 'teeth' inside the lock do not fit into place to allow the key to turn,I could be totally wrong im just guessing.
This has happened a couple of times but its always opened eventually but this time its just not budging at all
Any ideas? Is the lock completely broke and is it soomething a garage can fix?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/01/2010 at 13:41

95 1L BOOT LOCK - primeradriver
Have you tried pushing down on the boot, or pulling it up slightly when trying to turn the key?

Our old Daewoo has this issue from time to time, and pushing down on the bootlid gets around the problem.
95 1L BOOT LOCK - Dynamic Dave
Have you tried lubricating the lock?

If you use WD-40, follow it up with white grease as the WD-40 may well wash out the grease put there by VW.

see the following thread for more info:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=8483

take note of Cyd's suggestions.

Also read this thread:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19068
95 1L BOOT LOCK - C12
Thanks for the advice :)
I will give both those ideas a try and let you know what happens.
Its been intermitant but now wont seem to budge at all but hopefully what you's have suggested may resolve it....fingers crossed
95 1L BOOT LOCK NOT UNLOCKING - C12
Still no joy after trying what you both suggested I even climbed into the boot via the back seats to sparay wd40 in that way.
I did try to see if i could unlock it from that side but im not sure what im supposed to be pushing to release the catch and also its quite awkward too get to as the boot inside lip rises up up where the boot lock catch is
Im clueless as to what this could be,maybe its time for a visit to the garage?
Any more ideas are greatfully appreciated