06 2.0 Zetec petrol auto, steer clear or buy? - floss
Ive just been for a test drive this weekend in a 06 c-max 2.0 petrol auto,20,000mls. Years ago I had a auto fiesta that was nothing but trouble and was told by garage, gearbox was on its way out (at 25,000) and have stuck to a Renault ever since! But thinking times have changed I went for a drive in the c-max and thought it was great, paid my 500.00 deposit .. until I read loads of reviews that have honestly made me go grey with worry! Most of the reviews seem to be about the tdci? auto and models prior to 2006, (power loss at 70mph and gearboxes going costing 4,000!) but will I regret stumping up the rest of the money later this week? or should I give even this model a wide berth?? Thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 18/01/2010 at 07:18

06 2.0 Zetec petrol auto, steer clear or buy? - Peterexhaustpiper
Steer clear. I wouldn't bother with any Ford unless it was really old & cost me less than £1500. The trouble is with Ford is where they improve on they also cut back on. In my opinion they have turned out to be a very over-rated & over-priced manufacturer with a poor customer service. My experience with Ford these days is not a happy memory. If I was wearing your shoes I would save my money & read lots of other reviews about other cars avalible. Perhaps ask a few people who have been in the "know how" I wouldn't go out & place my money all on a test drive though. The last thing you want is a regret. Don't rush into this C-Max see whats avalible.
06 2.0 Zetec petrol auto, steer clear or buy? - SteveLee
Given that Fords often outperform many of the German manufacturers in reliability indexes over the last 5-10 years as long as the model you're looking at hasn't got a showstopper fault (ie crappy CVTs as pointed out by WST) it should be a fairly sound buy. Most Ford petrols are very reliable. the only reason you hear so many horror stories is because they sell so many of them.

If reliability is your thang - then buy Japanese and petrol. The Japs are the best mass-producers in the world, end of. Their cars may be soulless but they are the most reliable first and foremost. Ford though, aren't bad.

PS I don't consider Nissan to be Japanese any more, since the tie in with Renault their reliability has plummeted, though someone on here said the Renault diesels are better - I guess that's something the French do well!
06 2.0 Zetec petrol auto, steer clear or buy? - paul2007
hi

fords are great build cars judging by sales and their build quality = VFM.

however, i've never known ford to build reliable autos for the smaller engines and look out for eletric/push button hand brakes.