1.4 5 door - value and fan fix ? - mark.b
first of all i would like to say thanks for the helpful replies i have recieved over the past couple of months regarding cars ( almera and astra) i was looking to buy , cheers backroomers.

my dad has offered me his x reg 1.4 5 door civic , its done about 70k , timing belt has been done , the car is in really good condition apart from the heater only blows on speed 3 and 4 does anyone know if this is expensive to fix also what is it worth , it has service history till 59k when he bought it

thanks mark

Edited by Pugugly on 17/01/2010 at 19:57

1.4 5 door - value and fan fix ? - Lygonos
The blower only working on 3 and 4 is extremely common on the Swindon Civics of that vintage - is easily fixed with a new resistor (My old W-plate 1.8VTi did the same when it was about 4 years old).

"If you remove the glove box ( 2 x screws at the bottom on the outside ) you will find the blower. On top of the blower you will find a red coupler attached to what looks like a blanking plate held on with 2 x tiny screws. This is the heater resistor, remove it and attached you will see something which looks like the filaments from inside of light bulb, you will find that the soldering has broken off where the 2 resistors join. You can either re-solder or buy a replacement made by valeo climate systems or get one off a scrap rover 400."

From www.reviewcentre.com/vt99492_start0_orderasc.html

The only other weak spots are the exhaust rearbox that rots just in front of the rear silence in 2-3yrs (only about 100-120 quid from Honda), and the bushings in the rear double-wishbone suspension (usually dying by around 80k miles).

Can't say I've seen many rusty ones, and you'll have no problem selling it on to a 'Barry boy' as 2-, 3-, 4-, and 5-door Civics are favourites of the modding fraternity in their search for indervijuality, innit.
1.4 5 door - value and fan fix ? - mark.b
thanks Lygonos help very much appreciated looks like this is my next car