Do I or don't I?? - bazomis
I have been looking for a family hatchback for my wife for a while and spotted an 09/09 Ipreza 5dr hatchback on the forecourt of Bristol Street Motors this morning. Took it for a test drive this afternoon. It's a 1.5 R base model but comes with A/C, electric windows all round, AWD and seems would do the job. Cheap plastics and noisy engine with 5 speed manual gearbox that would appear to be difficult to get above 70, but the right amount of space, doors and a bit different from the obvious alternatives.

I've left a £250 refundable deposit on it and arranged for my wife to test drive tomorrow first thing. I'm paying £7,500 for it with tax until April. Three questions...

1) Is this a sensible purchase, particularly in this price range;
2) Is this the latest model (registered May 2009)? Why is it £3k less than the cheapest equivalent showing on Autotrader?; and
3) Will I suffer any problems/unforeseen costs servicing, running and reselling this car at a later date?

Thanks in advance

bazomis
Do I or don't I?? - WorkshopTech
Assuming the car is straight (no accident repairs and so on) then it will probably be a good buy. The main snag will be its a bit slow and not particularly economical.
Subarus are tough and reliable cars and the bodyshell and running gear are likely to be a lot more robust than most similar cars. If its anything like the older models then the trim looks cheap but actually lasts a long time.
Servicing is very straightforward although Subaru dealers are getting a bit thin on the ground.
It sounds a good price (but bear in mind these have been sold new at very heavy discounts).
It wont be a popular car at resale time, but you would be getting it at a low price so overall could be a sensible buy if you want this type of vehicle. My experience of working on subarus is that they are very very reliable, especially the non-turbo ones.
Do I or don't I?? - M.M
I'd say two positives... The Subaru reputation for reliability and the AWD if that is important to you. Oh and if it's of use they tow 300kg more than a 1.6 Focus.

Negatives that it's slower*, less economic, noisier, less stylish and has cheaper looking interior than Focus/Astra/others.

*Are you really sure you want a Subaru that doesn't go?

They also seem to depreciate quickly and could be harder to sell than their competitors.

Finally if the reliability doesn't work out the dealer network is small and parts costs can be eye watering.

But if you fancy one why not and forget the negtives?
Only appear to be able to afford a 58 plate 1.6 115ps Astra Life or a 1.6 115ps Focus Zetec S for about the same money/£500 more. Depreciation looks worse on these than on a Subaru (27-32% retained after 3 yrs/36k according to What Car, vs. 37% for the Impreza). If I could sell the Impreza on for £4.5-5k after 3 years I would be happy.

I know she would prefer a Golf or A3, but these would cost me up to £4-5k more for the same age. Any other suggestions on what would give me the biggest bang for my meagre buck? I want something that's no more than a year old with mileage to match.

I've got until 8.30am tomorrow to decide!
Do I or don't I?? - SteveLee
How about an 08 Kia Ceed with 4100 miles on the clock: www.cargiant.co.uk/KIA/details-450256-KIA.asp

Still has 5 years warranty left. £7799.

Looking at the price of this car I think I'd go for it if it checks out on HPi and is in good shape.
The handling and comfort on these is actually rather good, and they have a very strong body/chassic/drivetrain plus side and curtain airbags etc. Main downside would be fuel consumption and somewhat sluggish acceleration although they can hit 100mph. You dont have to slow down too much for corners.
Servicing is straightforward and they really are very reliabel and durable. I regularly see the older model for MoT's and its a rare thing to see corrosion or suspension wear. Electrics also seem to be very reliable, in fact I cant remember the last time we did any significant repair on a Subaru and we do see a number for servicing.
When test driving dont be alarmed if brake pedal feels a bit heavy, they all tend to be like that, ALso gearshift is a bit notchy into 2nd and 3rd on these.
Do I or don't I?? - MVP
Sounds like a good price for what will be a durable and solid workshorse

A bit different too :)

MVP
Do I or don't I?? - sdr
bazomis-

I know this has nothingto do with this thread, but i asked a question regarding the discovery on your other thread, that now seems to be hidden from us all, have you got any updates regarding your predicament. a friend of mine is facing similar dilema, although at this time only myself him and the local garage know. any advice would be appreciated.
regards
As the moderator has already said, I don't wish to jeopardise the current police operation on a public forum. If you wish to send your details and account of what happened to me at bazomis@yahoo.co.uk, I will be happy to reply with what information I can. If you also want me to pass your details on to the investigating officer, then I can do this too.

The number of us in the same position appears to have grown since last summer, which is why the police are now taking the matter more seriously. The BBC are also currently investigating and preparing a programme about it. If you or anyone else has had a similar experience or has any useful information relating to recently stolen/cloned vehicles, please email me.

bazomis
By the way, didn't buy the Impreza and still looking.

Some of the opinions posted here as well as the general reviews of this base model car, Subaru's future and deep discounts available on their new cars put me off. Any alternative suggestions (but not a Focus, Astra, Mazda, etc please) gratefully received.

Do I or don't I?? - Sofa Spud
Don't you automatically get 6 penalty points on your licence when you buy a Subaru Impreza? LOL
At that price point and age you are probably looking at something Korean as an alternative to the Subaru.
Not if it's the 1.5 petrol! I struggled to get to 70 and found myself revving to 4,000rpm in every gear to get there.