03 1.4 engine cooling fan not coming on - rockinrobb
hi guys any ideas on this one : 2003 1400 fiesta 38k on clock just had new water pump, cam belt , thermastat after recent overheating in heavy traffic, car running fine not overheating, but my concern is the coling fan never seems to come on. any ideas guys , i checked my haynes manual , not many clues other than sensor unit on engine block , apparently fan is controlled by ecu ?

thanks

Robb

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/01/2010 at 00:54

03 1400 engine cooling fan not coming on - Peter.N.
Are you sure the fan isn't working? It will only normally come on when the temperature is well in excess of normal. Unless you are sitting in a traffic jam for say 15 minutes it won't get hot enough. In normal driving the airflow through the radiator is adequate to keep it cool
03 1400 engine cooling fan not coming on - rockinrobb
hi peter thanks for your promt reply , well i was in 40 mins jam on m25 other day went up to nearly 3/4 on gauge. im just worried because as i said ive changed water pump due to failure and overheating,along with thermastat and cam belt,just dont want to overheat againim going to try and find a fellow owner of same car maybe test them side by side !
regards Robb
03 1400 engine cooling fan not coming on - Peter.N.
OK, fair enough, I would have thought that would have brought it on. I am afraid I am not familier with modern ECU controled systems, I can only suggest that the sensor could be faulty, normally found in the thermostat housing.
03 1400 engine cooling fan not coming on - elekie&a/c doctor
Is the car fitted with a/con?If it is then turn it on with engine running and the cooling fan should cut in almost immediately.If no a/c fitted,then locate engine coolant temp sensor and disconnect 2-pin plug.This will make the cooling fan run in failsafe mode.hth
ok thanks doc ill try that and get back to you , its a ghia model with air con
regards robb
03 1400 engine cooling fan not coming on - piston power
Put 12v to the fan does it work it may be faulty and not be the ecu.
hi big tee thanks ill try that
regards robb
hi peter and all the other guys in on this one , i did all the basics cleaned up connections and protected with light spray of wd,40 on connection at base of rad and its all working fine , its suprising how little the fan comes into use , thanks again guys for all your input
regards Robb
03 1.4 engine cooling fan not coming on - Pedro1984
I got same car the fan is kicked in at 111c by the ecu in case
The resistor located on the fan case at the bottom doesn't
Kick the fan at 105c. If fan fan is not coming at all you need to check
Fuse and relay. Fuses is attached to the back of battery tray
The relay is next to it on a square black box. Look in manual
To find wich relay and wich fuse. If relay and fuse are ok change the fan

????