Dealers already interested - stunorthants26
I was chatting to the staff at a my local Daihatsu dealer and it was rather obviously hinted that they were waiting for Tata to come to the UK as they saw it as having a bright future and seemed to be suggesting that they would be going after the franchise to run alongside Ford and Daihatsu.

Certainly interesting to hear that from them, especially with the prejudice usually aimed at unknown makes in this country.

Dealers already interested - CGNorwich
What prejudice? I suspect there are more makes of car on the road in the Uk than anywhere else in the world. How many Japanese cars do you see in France? How many Korean cars in Italy?
Last time the new Tata was mentioned here, there was quite a few who declared they wouldnt buy it because it was Indian and the same has happened when Chinese makes were discussed. Its a shame people think like that, but they do.
Dealers already interested - CGNorwich
I'm old enough to remember prejudice against Japanese and German Imports. If the Tata is any good the British will buy it. They never let their prejudices get in the way of a bargain!
Dealers already interested - freddy1
royal enfield motorcycles were imported into the UK in the late 70s and early 80s , they have been made in india since 1955 (RE UK shut down in 1967) , the quality was so bad that they could not be sold

Brevenarr , then eversham m/cycles both tried telling RE india about the faults , eventually Watsonion squires (sidecar people) , got thru to them in about 2000 , result: they are now built as we want them , and are selling
Dealers already interested - primeradriver
It's not as if there aren't precedents for Indian cars over here.

Fiat have been importing engines over from there for a while now, used in a variety of cars without major complaint. Likewise various Suzukis and Hyundais, all highly regarded for build. Even Tata's Indica (CityRover) has proven itself to be durable from the examples that made it over.

See no issue with Indian product to be honest. Some of the Chinese stuff though, not sure. Different culture, lots of small companies. Once they have a car analogue to Haier in the white goods department we may have a go.
Dealers already interested - Jcoventry
Perhaps they'll go down the same route the Japanese manufacturers did in the 60s/70s to enter the UK - better quality/more reliable than what is already on offer from other manufacturers. If they do this, people will definitely be interested in buying them as long as they can prove they are reliable cars and better value than Ford, Vauxhall, etc.
Even Tata's Indica (CityRover) has proven itself to be durable from the examples that
made it over.

Ho ho ho?
Dealers already interested - freddy1
<>> Even Tata's Indica (CityRover) has proven itself to be durable from the examples that
made it over.

Ho ho ho?>

but the bad workmanship , was the guy in longridge fitting the rover badges
Dealers already interested - Sofa Spud
It would be nice to hear the putter-putter of 2-cylinder engines on our streets again!
Dealers already interested - primeradriver
> Ho ho ho?

Not really -- the cars were fundamentally sound.

Fit and finish was carp but that's a specification issue.
Dealers already interested - Armitage Shanks {p}
Perhaps not many Japanese cars are seen in France and Italy because these countries are happy with the 'local' product?
Dealers already interested - shara
Having been to India numerous times and driven Tata's over there I agree with primera driver. The cars in India are robust, dependable, mechanically simple and generally built to cope with the demands of Indian roads. The fit and finish of the interior as well as other bits was not up to what we would expect in Europe and this is something that Tata will need to work on to ensure that they will shift stuff over here.
Dealers already interested - Kevin
>The fit and finish of the interior as well as other bits was not up to what we would expect in Europe..

I don't think they'll have any problems with interior quality. The interior of the new Tata XJ is stunning ;-)

Kevin...
Dealers already interested - bazomis
I would have to agree with the Tata non-lovers. There are apparently 55,000 high pressure fuel pumps on back order for Land Rover Disco 3s in the UK after a recall and even if a vehicle under warranty is forced off the road because of this fault, my local dealer tells me there's no money available from the manufacturer to provide replacement hire cars. Dealers have also been told only to undertake fixes for known faults only when the drivers bring them to their attention. It's no way to run a business.
Dealers already interested - Avant
If you get all your valeting kit into a Nano, Stu, the whole forum will buy you a virtual beer.
Dealers already interested - Alby Back
Sponge, chamois, jollop, bucket. What more does he need?......

;-)
Haha, I shall certainly look at one when they come out, I get my valeting kit in my Charade an thats just a 3dr, so its quite possible it will fit in a Nano.

I think for me, it would depend on the price ( it would have to be sub £5k ) and the level of warranty. My Charade is fast approaching 50k and going brilliantly, so it may not need changing for a few years yet, seems to like doing 18k a year.

I think its an exciting prospect and we need some new blood in the car market. Tata have been around here for a while and while their cars have never been what you would call well made, the bits underneath seem to be long-lasting - theres a Tata pickup down the street with 180k on the clock although it does look like its been driven through a war zone :-)
Dealers already interested - bell boy
i never trust potatoes no matter how its spellt