Do Police Cars have winter tyres fitted/ - Armitage Shanks {p}
Recalling a news reoprt of a few days ago, where a bus slid into a ditch and the first police car on the scene slid off the road and hit it, I am wondering whether such vehicles have winter tyres fitted and, if not, is the reason financial/budget or something else ie not worth it in a normal winter?
Do Police Cars have winter tyres fitted/ - Mick Snutz
Doubt it very much.

Most police vehicles are used everyday for patrolling the nasty streets so I doubt they'd have bought in a load of tyres and fitted them to every car they own. Plod was caught out same as the rest of us.

No police authority would have the budget or storage capacity to keep anything but a very limited stock of WT's.
If they did our council tax's would go through the roof.
Do Police Cars have winter tyres fitted/ - daveyjp
I hope North Yorkshire Police swap the road tyres they have on the Subarus.

I saw one in the Subaru dealer and the tyres were almost racing slicks.
Do Police Cars have winter tyres fitted/ - Dwight Van Driver
Some do some dont AS. Majority of Forces out in the sticks have a number of 4 x 4's on their fleet.

Question for You

When an aircraft lands if side wind when u/c touches terra firma or brakes applied why are their so few skids /slides off the runway ?

dvd
Do Police Cars have winter tyres fitted/ - FotheringtonThomas
Hm. Because they're specially designed to help avoid these issues? Because of the huge weight of the aeroplane? Because of the large load on the tyres (in comparison to that on car tyres)?
Do Police Cars have winter tyres fitted/ - bathtub tom
Because the inertia of the beast is sufficient to overcome the side thrust of the tyres? Newton's second law?
Do Police Cars have winter tyres fitted/ - Group B
On my brothers patch (W Yorks) they dont have winter tyres; not for the ordinary panda cars anyway. They have a couple of X5s now but he says these are not great on their worn summer tyres either.

In our town in NE Derbyshire (small police station with 2-3 cars only), in previous years they used Astras for most of the year but then when the weather turned bad, the Astras disappeared and were replaced with Land Rover 90s for a few weeks. Dont know where these spare LRs came from, must have been from other parts of Derbyshire force.

In the last two years they have got a couple of Honda CR-Vs for use all year round, and Ive not seen a plod LR this year.
Do Police Cars have winter tyres fitted/ - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Aircraft have got anti lock brakes. Indeed the systems were developed on them before being fitted to cars. Dunlop Maxaret system in the Jensen Interceptor/FF was the first I believe.
Many jet aircraft also have reverse thrusters at the rear of the engines. Maybe they can be individually adjusted to allow for any cross winds?
A few years back our plane landed at Turin which was completely covered with several inches of snow. Amazing looking back on it..
Do Police Cars have winter tyres fitted/ - Brian Tryzers
>...the first police car on the scene slid off the road and hit it...

That, as I recall, was on sheet ice on a steep downhill gradient. I heard one officer tell BBC Radio how he'd tried to climb the hill to stop other vehicles at the top but could barely stay on his feet. I don't think winter tyres would have made any difference there.
Do Police Cars have winter tyres fitted/ - pd
Aircraft skid quite a lot when they land which is why runways are covered in rubber which needs to be removed at regular intervals (it is done with very high pressure water).

I have no idea if it is correct, but I've always noticed that when they land in wet conditions reverse thrust is used but when landing in dry it is usually not. Presumably this is because braking performance is reduced in the wet. ?
Do Police Cars have winter tyres fitted/ - Martin Devon
Never landed yet without reverse thrust wet or dry.
Do Police Cars have winter tyres fitted/ - David Horn
The short answer is that if the aircraft is landed properly there is no significant side-loading on the landing gear. Some will tolerate a slightly crabbed landing well, 737 for example has a degree of castoring in the main gear. However, typically A/C is aligned with the runway and a positive touchdown avoids problems.

Having screwed up a crosswind landing in a light aircraft, it tended to skip sideways slightly rather than skid.

Reverse thrust is nearly always used even if only at idle. Full reverse used for short runways or if necessary. Sometimes prohibited by noise regulations.
Aircraft have got anti lock brakes. Indeed the systems were developed on them
before being fitted to cars.

I doubt it. Antilock brakes were invented a long time ago - '20s?
Do Police Cars have winter tyres fitted/ - CraigP
Yeah early 20s by a french guy. For aeroplanes :-P (its true!)
I'll have to gat a book out when I'm at another place. Remind me in a fortnight if interested.