04 1.4 TDCi Not always starting - Red_Alert
Hi, looking for some advice. I have a 2004 1.4TDCi that won't always start when cold or parked for a few hours. I put the key in and turn it to the first part, glow plug light is not always coming on (not sure if cold enough) but when I go to start the engine it will turn over for about two seconds and then stop turning. I can switch the ignition off and back on and then it will turn over for a couple of seconds again and still not start. I am keeping the key in the starting position all the time. Eventually after a few attempts the engine will turn over for longer and start. Once warm there are no further problems and I can stop and start it as much as I want !!
It has done 58000 miles but not sure of the history.
Any suggestions?

Edited by Red_Alert on 13/01/2010 at 22:15

04 1.4 TDCi Not always starting - the hunter
it is possible you may be a gloplug down.it does not need all plugs to work for it to start but will make it hard to start when cold.
04 1.4 TDCi Not always starting - dieselnut
' I am keeping the key in the starting position all the time '

If the engine only keeps turning for 2 seconds with the key still in the start position you either have a faulty ignition switch with intermittent contact on the starter section or a starter motor on the way out.
Connect either a lamp or meter between the starter solenoid actuator ( thin wire not main battery cable ) to earth. The lamp / meter should light / show 12 volts while the key is in the start position. If it doesn't you have a faulty ignition switch, if it does but the starter stops turning you have a faulty starter motor.
Check the main cable to the starter is tight & battery cables & earth are tight.
04 1.4 TDCi Not always starting - 547HEW
Mate of mines Dad had one of these do this - the dealer put a later calibration in which fixed it.
04 1.4 TDCi Not always starting - cotton
What is the best way to test the glow plugs?