306 tick over problems - Dom1
Good afternoon All,

I have a 306 2.0Ltr 8 valve, it’s a 1994 model on a M, about 65K Miles. It’s regularly serviced and seemed to be running fine. However today it’s developed an annoying fault. Basically the car starts fine, but it’s tick over is a little low (600 rmp, normally about 900 rmp). If you blip the throttle it revs fine, however as it returns to tick over it stalls. I have tried a ECU reset and there are no fault lights on the Dash. Any suggestions?
306 tick over problems - Emerson Fittipaldi
Could be your idle stepper motor on the throttle body, I dont know if there is anthing you can do to service this part, or just bite the bullet and get another one. Maybe it's worth getting this checked by your local garage or if you have the cash, a Peugeot dealer to confirm whether it is this that is on the way out. It also maybe worth checking around this area for road grime/dirt that has built of over the years and is restricting it in some way. Hope this helps.
306 tick over problems - Dom1
Emerson,

On further inspection it seems to be a heat related fault, when the car is cold it doesn’t stall, however once its warmed up it stalls every time.

Interestingly today its been fine (mich warmer than yesterday!), so your suggestion of some road grime or dirt maybe true.

I will give it a clean and check the connectors.

Thanks for the advice.

DOM1
306 tick over problems - Mark (RLBS)
>>when the car is cold it doesn't stall, however once its warmed up it stalls every time.

I suspect that means the fault is there all the time, but the choke, assuming it has one, or other "richening" device masks the problem when the engine is cold.
306 tick over problems - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Idle Speed Control (Stepper Motor or Air Valve) is a possibility, but I would also check out the Coolant Temp Sensor, the MAP Sensor (may be incorporated in ECU) and vacuum pipe to MAP Sensor. Occasionally with many Peugeots simply disconnecting and reconnecting the ECU elctrical "comb" sorts this sort of problem.

HTH, Adam
306 tick over problems - L'escargot
Good afternoon All,
I have a 306 2.0Ltr 8 valve, it’s a 1994 model
on a M, about 65K Miles. It’s regularly serviced and
seemed to be running fine. However today it’s developed an
annoying fault. Basically the car starts fine, but it’s tick over
is a little low (600 rmp, normally about 900 rmp).
If you blip the throttle it revs fine, however as
it returns to tick over it stalls. I have tried
a ECU reset and there are no fault lights on the
Dash. Any suggestions?

I had this happen on a similar (N reg) 306 Xsi. I gave up and stuck it in my garage while I decided what to do. After 24 hours, everything returned to normal. It started to misbehave after I was stationary at traffic lights alongside someone who was using a mobile phone. Electronics expert colleague said that some mobile phones can make the car's engine management system get it's knickers in a twist for a while. If this is what's happened to your Xsi, it might be OK by tomorrow. Hope so.