Traffic England road sign Code translation reqd - henry k
Re www.trafficengland.com/

With Roadside Message Signs clicked to on I can view the text from my PC

The M4 has lots saying " SY05 slow down"

Is this someones registration or else what does SY05 mean?
Perhaps it is a computer glitch. I have seen it before so it is not cos of the snow today.
Traffic England road sign Code translation reqd - Old Navy
SY is an Inverness registration, all "S's" are Scottish. I have not seen a Registration on a gantry before, English local dialect spelling of snow? My car is a SO05, (Edinburgh) so it is not me, and I am a few hundered miles north of the M4.

Edited by Old Navy on 13/01/2010 at 16:56

Traffic England road sign Code translation reqd - Alby Back
Specsavers Henry ? Just saying........"SNOW" maybe ? Only a thought !!!!

;-)
Traffic England road sign Code translation reqd - VR6
I saw the same thing on the website a few days ago on the M1. Either someone with SY05 is speeding up and down the motorways of England, or, as I suspect its a glitch and should say SNOW as HB has said
Traffic England road sign Code translation reqd - Bromptonaut
Some on the M4 apparently read SY02, SY05 & SY06.

My money's on a software glitch.
Traffic England road sign Code translation reqd - henry k
The answer to my question is RTFM or in this case the Traffic England FAQ section where at the very bottom it says

"I have seen codes such as SY02 and SY03 on Traffic England. What do these mean?
These codes refer to pictograms appearing on Variable Message Signs on the network. Work is currently underway to allow Traffic England to show these pictograms and is expected to be completed by mid 2010."

SY02, SY03 and I can now relax.
Traffic England road sign Code translation reqd - Armitage Shanks {p}
To which a sensible riposte is "Get it working and, until you do, keep it switched off and stop confusing us with meaningless stuff"

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 13/01/2010 at 20:27

Traffic England road sign Code translation reqd - bell boy
watching look north tonight and it showed a police car with a slow- ice sign in the back,i thought it was a fault at first
Traffic England road sign Code translation reqd - Old Navy
If you are in my area hope they don't use the "follow me" sign. The traffic cars have flip up variable message displays on the rear shelf.
Traffic England road sign Code translation reqd - Cliff Pope
>>
someone with SY05 is speeding up and down the motorways of England >>

Someone like this? (First Google hit):

www.aldersydemotors.co.uk/SY05%20SZJ.htm