Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - happyworker
I have read the FAQ's on this website about returning a new car when it it is faulty, i.e. the dealer has three attempts to put right in the first six months. How do you assess what is a fault and what isn't? Here is my situation:

1 New E Class bought September 09
2 On delivery car had a bad rattle that required taking the centre consoles out to rectify, took weeks for them to do it.
3 Dec 09 received a phone call and the car was recalled for a software update
4 A week later a letter was received from Mercedes for another recall, this time to the fuel system (again software related) to "prevent loss of power and possible fire".
5 Two days ago, without warning, the car lost power and would only crawl along, sounds like it runs on two cylinders.

It is awaiting recovery today. (snow was bad yesterday)

I am losing confidence in the vehicle; to get your money back do the faults have to be the same recurring fault or is a cumulation of faults sufficient?

Where could I get expert opinion on this situation before I approach the dealer?

Help appreciated.

Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - adverse camber
Don't think you have a hope of rejection for that.

It had a rattle - that they've fixed.

They have pro-actively applied two updates/fixes

You now have a problem of some sort which they havn't had a chance to look at yet.

No sign of any significant fault which has not been sorted. You could try hassling the dealer and maybe get a free/cheap service if you are lucky.
Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - J500ANT
Sounds like its a 220/270 cdi with dodgy injectors. There's a thread on here about them.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=79...7

Edited by J500ANT on 12/01/2010 at 11:10

Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - boxsterboy
No, as a coupe it'll be a 250CDI Blue Efficiency. The 350 (V6) isn't affected, SFAIK. But yes, the syptom does sound like faulty injectors.

No grounds for rejection, though: first fault fixed, 2 recalls correctly applied, new fault which the garage hasn't looked at but which will be an easy fix (assuming it is indeed injectors). Make sure they are ALL replaced, and the software is updated.
Many thanks to all of you for your replies, know understand this better.

It is a 250 CDI - the car rental boys have just dropped off an S Class and told me what the problem is "injectors, we have done loads of these, most cars are in for a few weeks while they wait for parts"

A bit disappointing when Merc claim that this car has had more testing miles than any other.
Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - dieseldogg
I hope the "S" class is diesel?
Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - Mapmaker
On the plus side you're putting miles on somebody else's new car rather than your own!
Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - Altea Ego
AND you have a better car than yours till its fixed ;)

As others have said, you have really only had one fault.
Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - prm72
The car will be fine, they (MB) have sorted the injector probs now and are using series 6 ( i believe) injectors and they seem to be reliable.
Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - nick1975
quite staggering that MB think this is acceptable. What a joke. Resting on their laurels big time.

Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - injection doc
welcome to the world of reliability , no different to any other manufacturer these days, just more costly
It will only get worse as it gets older.
I know a company that refuses to have any MB's on their fleet due to so often awaitning parts for weeks
Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - gordonbennet
All the balloney about how much they've improved since the dark days of 97 to 04 ish, galvanized panels, nano paint (whatever that may be) millions of miles of testing....best in the world again.

Then get injectors on a buy one get one free basis from Bodgit and Scarper's cast off bin for production models, what next in the sorry saga.
Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - Jcoventry
I don't think they will ever reach the quality of the W123/124 again.
Think that the 350 diesel is affected according to the car rental boys, also I saw a 350 CDI appear in our village recently and suddenly disapear within a week!!

Thanks for the tip on the injectors; day 2, luchtime not a squeak yet from the dealer {please note spelling - it starts with a D, not St!}

Hearing all these comments certainly helps, when this sort of thing happens you think you are the only one it happens too; that said I work damned hard to get the spondoolies to pay for the car and this sort of thing takes the edge of it.

My Lexus never missed a beat in two years and the Far East boys now give a 7 year guarantee, Merc have some catching up to do!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/01/2010 at 15:19

Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - Sulphur Man
@JCoventry.

No, never, not in a million years will cars like the W124 and W203 (the 190) be repeated.

They may have been viciously priced back in their early 90s heyday, but they truly were 'cars for life', which unfortunately for Mercedes, meant less profit than they now enjoy.

I love my 94 E280 Estate. 155K on the clock, no noticeable rust, smooth and strong and still rattle-free. Best car I've ever owned.

Interestingly, the recent Mercs which can claim decent reliability tend to have AMG on the bootlid. The hand-built touch still counts for something then.
Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - audiA6tdi
Interestingly the recent Mercs which can claim decent reliability tend to have AMG on the
bootlid. The hand-built touch still counts for something then.

Are these really hand built Engines?

Just part of the engine I think...
ncane.com/l4ie

Edited by audiA6tdi on 14/01/2010 at 10:13

Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - Martin Devon
My Lexus never missed a beat in two years and the Far East boys now
give a 7 year guarantee Merc have some catching up to do!

Should've gone to Lexus then.
Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - audiA6tdi
Which Lexus did you have Martin?
Have just called the dealer, it is just the 250 that is affected, they will replace al the injectors but it will be 2-3 weeks
Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - prm72
I've got the W211 E280cdi 57 plate, are these affected? Thanks
Grounds for rejecting a new Mercedes - boxsterboy
No.