Which Fiesta? - smokie
SWMBOs car is shortly to be replaced (M Reg 1.1 Fiesta). She has the following main criteria:

Up to £4000 (but if cheaper comes along then not a problem. similarly a little more available for the "right" car)
Small and manouverable
Power steering
5 door hatch/4 doors
Reasonable to insure & run
Reliable
Low mileage (I know the potential pitfalls of this)
and, seriously, Green

She has no desire for any great performance, and her home - office journey is about to change from 2 mins back roads to 45 minutes mainly motorway.

I am likely to buy at auction (Blackbushe, although I have also bought in Nottingham and Preston in the past)

Having been through the car-by-car breakdown I had decided on a Punto (new shape) but they look "too mean" for her liking. Neither does she like the Yaris. She would really like another Fiesta (in green of course). I personally have some regard for Fords as they seem reasonably reliable and there are a million and one places and people who can service/maintain them, usually at reasonable rates.

So this post is specifically to ask which model Fiesta I should look for, and what sort of age/mileage she should get for her money.

And also, if I engaged buyer at auction, what would that cost?

PS she is deadly serious about Green & Fiesta, so I am not really looking for backroomers advice on alternative colours or makes!! Thanks in advance for any help.
Which Fiesta? - Blue {P}
OK I think I'm perfectly placed togive u a little advice with this one, except for the auctrion bit, I know nowt about that :)

The Fiesta to go for is the 1.25 Zetec, it's FAR more refined, reliable and powerful than the 1.3 whilst having virtually identical consumption figures.

If you can, get a Ghia, they have all the toys and should hopefully have a quickclear heated front screen. Absouloutely brilliant in the winter, it can de-ice itself in 30 seconds! :)

The later Ghia models were only available with 5 doors. If you can, try and get a 99 or later with the Focus style headlights, they were improved over the previous models and IMO look a lot nicer too. If you're buying at auction you may well be able to afford a later model, if you get a good day.

So, there's not a lot to tell really, you MUST NOT buy the 1.3 engine if you want a reliable, quality car, the 1.25 Zetec or the 1.4 Zetec are far more advanced and much smoother, more reliable etc. Also, as she's gonna be using it on the motorways, the 1.25 is powerful enough to cruise happily, and the car is very comfortable. The handling on the modern models is far superior to the one that you're replacing, it's quieter, more comfortable, and MUCH sharper round corners.

Sorry if this seems a bit ranty about the virtues of a Fiesta, but guess what car I drive, a Pacific Green Fiesta Ghia 1.25 16V, before this I drove a N reg old style Fiesta like your current one! :)

Oh, and the car looks great in green! She has definately made a good choice! :)
Which Fiesta? - J Bonington Jagworth
I thought the 1.25 wasn't available here (according to HJ!) - how did you get yours?