Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - tiredeyes
Have seen an Astra VXR 55 plate it has 80K miles on which is a bit high, but makes me think its motorway miles and not being ragged around the street.
so 4 and a half years old average miles is 18K a year.
it is one previous owner and FVSH.
the wife is after one, she does around 6 -7K miles p.a.
anything I should be looking out for ?
Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - Martin Devon
Cheaper Wife??

MD
Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - Marc
I know this car has a 2.0T engine but am not sure if it is the same Z20NET (SAAB) engine that is in the Vectra...

If it is, it's a great engine.

I agree that it sounds like motorway miles.
Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - Nickdm
It's going to be pretty thirsty to run isn't it? And how are hot hatch insurance premiums these days?

And will it date/depreciate further quite quickly, when the new model Astra is out on the streets?

Also, from my - admittedly limited - experience, at around 5 years/80K miles a car's components start wearing out and bills can creep up.
Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - Martin Devon
Does fvsh mean oil changes at ridiculously long intervals?
Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - DP
Does fvsh mean oil changes at ridiculously long intervals?

Just what I was thinking. 20k intervals on a near 120 bhp per litre turbocharged engine that is likely to have been driven hard (otherwise, what's the point?). My experience of 20k intervals was on my old Pug 306 XSi which was showing signs of noticeable engine wear at 90k (top end rattles and puffs of smoke on cold starts, 1 litre of oil needed every 4k). And that engine was nothing like as highly tuned/stressed as this one.

How much is the car advertised for?

Edited by DP on 02/01/2010 at 10:13

Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - Andy P
Try it and see what you think - it polarises opinion quite quickly.

When I tried one I was amazed at how unrefined it was. It torque-steered badly, it understeered if you tried to carry too much speed into a corner and the traction control was on too much for my liking. To me it seemed that Vauxhall had just taken the normal Astra and stuck a 240bhp engine in it without changing anything else. It just can't cope with that power going through the front wheels.

But, if you like that sort of thing, then it's brilliant.
Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - DP
A mk2 GTE 16v for the 21st century then, Andy!

Finish every fast drive completely exhausted and with a massive grin on your face that drivers of more civilised (and arguably capable) rivals just don't get. I loved that old GTE for most of the reasons you list above. You had to drive around its flaws and use that power soooooo carefully. But when you got it right, it was a seriously quick tool.

It appeals massively! :-)

Edited by DP on 02/01/2010 at 10:24

Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - cheddar

I think it is a SAAB engine, SAAB are well used to making high output turbocharged engines that last so it should be fine in that regard if serviced regularly with the correct spec oil.

Also you can't drive a 1500kg car with well over 200bhp hard all of the time so it wont have been thrashed everywhere in the way that, say, a 1.6 Saxo might have been.

On the otherhand most reports suggest that the VXR is unrefined in all respects, noise, the way it performs and its handling, it is quick in a straightline though.

The Focus ST is favoured and I can vouch for the ST's combination of refinement, flexibility and punch however a VXR at the same age and mileage would be as much as £5k less than an ST.
Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - Marc
"Does fvsh mean oil changes at ridiculously long intervals?"

As it's a 55 plate it may not have been on ecoflex servicing. Vauxhall phased it out at some point.

Plus it may not have necessarily made it to 20k - the 'computer' dictates when a service is due - in my case around 16k each time.
Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - WorkshopTech
I have worked on these and as far as I know its not a SAAB motor. Looks a bit different and SAAB have Trionic engine management and these use bosch motronic.
Depends how much the car is being sold for, but I would be cautious. These are not known as long lasting engines and there were a lot of problems with the gearboxes, bad shifting, and a modification kit is available but few £100s labour to fit.
They are a rough car to drive and handling is a bit ragged. Reminds me of the Mazda 3 mps, a bit too much power for the chassis.
I would look for a Golf GTI or Octavia vRS and have it REVOd. A much nicer engine and very tough cars.
Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - corax
Workshop Tech

Do you think the Octavia VRS is the sort of car you could keep long term and do maybe 200,000 miles in without many problems? I know the diesels are capable of this if maintained properly, but that FSI engine is really nice.....
Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - WorkshopTech
Yes, Octavias are rugged cars chassis wise and the TFSI engine is pretty tough. We have had some problems with fuel pump followers on cars with extended service, but thats about it. There is of courses the problem with ESP unit failure that is affecting loads of cars and Octavias dont escape this.
One of my workmates has an early MkII vRS TFSI and has taken it to a verified 308bhp; it has now covered almost 100k miles and he drives it hard. Everything is still oriiginal, inc the clutch, which is a bit of a miracle really. He has done lots of mods including millitek exhaust, whiteline rear arb and front anti-lift kit.
The nice thing about VAG cars is that there is very good and cheap diagnostics (VCDS) and parts are cheap and easy to get, they are also easy to work on and modify. So you can have a reliable performance car without the high service and repair costs of some other brands.
Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - corax
Thanks for the info. I'm glad you didn't give up on this site and stayed on, because I'm sure a lot of people here could benefit from a bit of 'insider' knowledge such as someone like yourself has. Your views echo the opinions of my local mechanic, who has given me great service at reasonable cost over the years.
Tried the VXR, just a little too mad, like a mits evo.
they had a 1.9cdti 150 sri
the wife loved it, she has turned to the dark side, which is great
40mpg round town, and 60mpg top wack
0-60 8 seconds, and ride is a little hard.
swmbo loved the thick leather steering wheel, lmfao
so its the next motor.
but why o why the 2.5K difference in price from network Q car to the local snip
nQ want 10.5K, local want 8K
crazy I tell thee.
nice motor for 8K, on a 07/57 or 08 plate with around 23 - 50K miles
should last a few months !

Edited by Pugugly on 04/01/2010 at 12:02

Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - davidh
Astra CDTi 150?

Buy it, you'll love it too. I like mine. A LOT.

Agree the suspension is firm, but it liveable with.

I went for Design trim not the SRI because I wanted the rear leccy windows, and the sight and light pack of auto lights / auto wipers / auto dimming rear view mirror (nice)

Also, I couldnt fit in the SRI's bucket seats LOL!

In terms of economy, driven briskly soley in town you'll be looking at 37-38 mpg. On the motorway, sticking to 70 then its 53 mpg. Raise the game up to an indicated 80 (In Germany of course) and you'll get a smidgen under 50 mpg.

8K not too bad as prices for second hand cars have firmed up a bit since I bought 18 months ago - I paid 8995 for my 150 design at 10 months old.
the variation in prices is slightly annoying, if I travelled to scotland
and had 8.5K cash I could get a 1.9 cdti 105 SRI with xenonns/light and ext pack
but in midlands its top end prices. boo.
just checked out sons insurance - cheapest is 3.5K for the 8 year old 1.4 golf - gulp :-(
wifey might be getting a 1.2 corsa for £2K !
Astra 2005 VXR - good buy ? - Pugugly
Scotland ain't a foreign country - may be worth jumping onto a train and driving back !