Comfiest seats/Most legroom - Slender
Looking for the comfiest, supportive seats and as much legroom as possible up front, but still leaving legroom behind the drivers seat. Can`t get on with the driving position of my Skoda Octavia and the seat squabs are too short. Appreciate I`m probably looking at executive/luxury motors (which is not a problem) but I am interested in recommendations from fellow long legged b*****s!
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - Richard Hall
A friend of mine is 6'8" and has had nothing but Saabs for many years - a 9000 followed by two 9-5s. He has not found anything else that he can get comfortable in.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - terryb
Mmmmm. Comfy seats and lots of legroom, looks like you're looking at something big and French. Sadly, that also means lots of depreciation.

My two Citroen XMs were superb in this and all other departments but the depreciation scared the willies out of me. No current equivalent but surely it can't be long until the C6 is launched. My brother had similar experiences with a big Renault. Vel Satis and Laguna latest incarnations seem intent on winning the ugliest car ever built awards - and iffy reliabilty.

May have to resort to BMW/Merc/Audi? Is money an issue?

Terry
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - Andrew-T
So buy a 3-year-old one !
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - bernie
Skoda Superb has a vast amount of rear legroom,maybe that fact translates to a lot of front seat travel thereby solving your problem.It is also a very nice car !
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - CM
May have to resort to BMW/Merc/Audi? Is money an issue?

I've got a 5 series estate. Has plenty of leg room up front but not so good in the rear. Maybe saloon is different
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - Cyd
Volvos (especially) and Saabs are known for their excellent seats.

Also look for something that has Recaro sports seats. My 97 Rover Vitesse Sport has the (virtually) identical Recaros that are in the new Mondeo ST220 and I can atest they are superb. Don't know if the ST200 had these seats or not.
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - volvod5_dude
I agree that Volvo V70/S80 seats are very comfortable. They are also designed to protect you in a rear end shunt "WHIPS" I think the system is called.
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - terryb
Forgot to mention Lexus in my previous post. Has to be the ultimate comfort/reliability combination.

Terry
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - Andy P
Acoording to the last report I saw on seat ergonomics, those fitted to the top-range Mercedes were the best, but of the more affordable cars, Saab were rated top.

Andy
Thank you, gentlemen.

My budget is circa £10K, I intend to buy from a main dealer, it must be automatic and my shortlist prior to this post was:

Lexus GS 300. (with the promise of a days test drive from the Lexus dealer - can`t argue with that!)
Saab 9-3.
Volvo V70.
Audi A6. (Can`t find one!)

I tried the Skoda Superb a while back and found the room up front to be virtually the same as the Octavia and the seat squabs to be just as short. The room in the back is vast though.

Last night I drove a Ford Scorpio. Now that was seriously roomy. I had seriously contemplated buying a Scorpio but settled on the Octavia - more modern, better reliability, pretty roomy - except in the back! Perhaps I should reconsider, halve my budget and post a thread asking for reliability comments.

Comfiest seats/Most legroom - Mike H
For rear seat legroom, you\'ll have to cross the 9-3 off your list. I got rid of my 9-3 company car because even my 15 year old son wouldn\'t fit in the back with an adult in front.

The 9-5 is fine, very roomy, as others havintimated, and both the front and rear seat squabs have plenty of length.

For real leg room you need an older Saab 9000, I think the post-91 CS type was less roomy in the back but the seats are superb.
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - Mike H
Re firs paragraph, I meant \"with an adult in front\"! The possible interpretations of what I actually wrote make the mind boggle!

[your blushes, or rather your son\'s, have been spared. I corrected your error. Mark]
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - RogerL
Check out the Vauxhall Astra for front and rear leg room. It also has decent head room. Many externally larger cars are smaller inside than the Astra.
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - Steve S
Slender,

Don't worry about not finding the A6 - I just borrowed one and the seats are nowhere near as good as those in the Volvo or Saab.

Haven't tried the Lexus but they certainly look OK.

Thanks for your input, gents.

At 6` 4" with a very long inside leg (and a dodgy right knee as well, to compound the problem!!) you may be interested to know that in the last two days I have crossed off Saab 9-3, 9-5 (beautifully comfortable seats but unable to go from acc. pedal to brake pedal without knee jamming on steering wheel) and Subaru Legacy (unbelievable cramped up front with no kneeroom for a six footer at all). The only success has been with a GS Lexus. Excellent leg room and a very comfortable seat. I`ve still to check out the Volvo V70 and I may try out a couple of 4X4`s.

As an aside, I have been utterly impressed with all the different salesmen I have met. Especially as I haven`t bought anything from them!! I do wish that we could come to some understading of the word `immaculate`!! Four scratched alloys and body scrathes is not my idea of immaculate.

Thanks for your interest in this thread.
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - Darren
V70 has good space front and rear , just watch the engine you choose if going for an auto. The fuel consumption does not vary much between the petrol engines.

Have driven an auto T5 with adults in the back and they were very happy with the space. I was happy with the performance.

A quick clue for some of these type of cars is look at what the local police are using , normally drivers of 6" plus spend many hours glued to the seat.
Comfiest seats/Most legroom - Crombster
I am currently searching for a new car and have looked at the 5 Series, Volvo S60, Audi A4, Passat & the Omega and without a doubt the S60 has superb seats. Being honest the seat is not something I pay attention to (rightly or wrongly) however the first thing that struck me about the S60 was the seat!

I am 6ft1 and in comparison to the Volvo, I was unable to find a comfortable driving position in the Passat.