03 2.0HDi starting problems - Dan M
Hi all

I have a 2003 Peugeot Partner Combi 2.0 HDi. After having the cambelt changed recently the engine has developed a problem. When the engine is hot it will not start. When it is cold (eg left overnight) it starts and runs normally.

It initially looked like a fuel problem. Priming the fuel system helped to start the engine. The dealer has also re-checked the valve timing.

After a lot of testing the dealer believes the fault lies with the ECU (a Siemens model). It is giving strange readings (when the engine is not running) and it appears that it is not allowing the sensor on the camshaft to communicate with the sensor on the crankshaft(both sensors having been replaced).

The problem only started after the cambelt was changed, but all the cambelt work has been re-checked.

Has anyone come across this before?!?

Many thanks
Dan

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/12/2009 at 18:41

03 2.0HDi starting problems - WorkshopTech
Don't understand dealer explanation. Unlikely to be ECU. Check sensors for damage/dirt or movement from correct fitting locations.
Ok - thanks very much for the advice.
Dan
03 2.0HDi starting problems - WorkshopTech
Yes, I think the problem will be something to do with those sensors. Why were they replaced? Get dealer to scope output from the sensors, both at cranking and with engine running. I think that might help get to the bottom of your problem. I would not go poking about with fuel system if it was OK before the belt/sensor were changed. Triple check cam timing too, in case belt is out a tooth.
First thing they did was re-check the timing!
Their computer was showing no communication between the cam and crank sensors, so that's why they replaced them just in case one of the sensors was causing a problem.

The readings from the ECU (presume at cranking) were a bit odd too. Showing temp of minus 50 degrees and engine turnover of 850 rpm.

They also checked that there was no air getting into the fuel lines causing the fuel to run back.

The car was fine before it went in for the cambelt change. It seems too much of a coincidence for the ECU to go crazy at the same time!

Thanks again for your help. I'll ask them to check the timing again, or maybe try a different new belt. Presume it's also worth checking whether they replaced any of the pulleys at the same time.

Dan
03 2.0HDi starting problems - dave lal
Hi,i would be grateful if you can help with your advice with my starting problem,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,will someone please help with my starting problem, I have a Peugeot partner van 2.0 hdi on a 2003/03 plate,when damp and raining and and not used say over weekend,tried to start this and will not fire up,this has happened approx 3 times in the course of 2/3 months,but when the weather gets better and warmer the van starts up no problems,this seems to have a mind of it's own and am getting p***ed off cause i tried to fire it up yesterday and today and no luck at all, I have changed the glow plugs 6 months ago and the battery is as new and in great condition,I cannot see the glowplug light coming on the dash,could this problem be related to the relay being faulty,please any help and input would be appreciated.thank you in advance. dave