Service intervals, mislead by dealer? - tallnick
Hi all,

Basically I am looking for a 2005-2006 high miler 2.0TDCI Titanium focus, found a lovely one at a car place near Barnsley, It had a 106,000 on the clock but apparently had a FSH, I got down there and it all seemed very nice, looked in the service book to see if it had the 100k timing belt change and its last service was at 87k, I then looked back at previous service stamps and it had only been serviced every 20k (there was one at 57k and 37k etc.)

Now I thought they were 12.5K intervals but the sales guy was saying 'No no, I used to work for Ford, 20k intervals etc.') I left it anyway to have a think because I really liked the car and wanted to cool down before making any offers.

I got home and checked with a local Ford main dealer and they said IT IS 12.5k and this guy was lying?

Basically I have a couple of questions for anyone who can help:

1) The service intervals should be 12.5K ?

2) Should I steer clear of a car that has missed each of these intervals by 7.5k not to mention a dealer who has blatantly lied?

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry about the long post!

Service intervals, mislead by dealer? - NARU
Get the definitive answer here (also shows what's due each service).

www.etis.ford.com/fordservice/serviceScheduleForm....o
Service intervals, mislead by dealer? - shara
yes the service interval is 12,500 miles, when I got mine it had been serviced more or less at 12.5k on the button. I would be very wary of a diesel that has had its servicing neglected. Its true that some items do not need attention every year/12.5k but the oil should always be changed as per manufacturer guidelines. The salesman may have been misinformed about this or just plain lied. Some may take the view that some service history is better than none but do you really want to risk it? A fundamental part of the TDCI engine is the Turbo and that may have incurred damage as a result of running on degrdaed oil.
Thats my thinking too, I am thinking back over the conversation now actually and there were a few other things that didn't quite sound right, I had a casual inspection of the tyres and am sure 2 of them were at or very near the limit but the sales guy was saying 'plenty of tread left when he saw me looking at them'

Best to steer clear I think.

snipquote - why is it despite the pop up message asking people to NOT fully quote who they're replying to, still do?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/12/2009 at 12:31

Service intervals, mislead by dealer? - piston power
No go in armed with a low offer stating in writing it's 12.5k servicing and see how you get on. at least it's been serviced most now seem to extend servicing to 20k.

Ask for the print out of service /warranty work done on the car if any.
Service intervals, mislead by dealer? - dieselfitter
Hmm. I wouldn't go for it. How many people here think 20K is OK as an oil change interval?
Service intervals, mislead by dealer? - Altea Ego
Hmm. I wouldn't go for it. How many people here think 20K is OK as
an oil change interval?

I wouldnt touch the car with this patchy history. Oh and make sure its had a new DMF and injectors if its done over 100k
Service intervals, mislead by dealer? - piston power
Long life diesel engine oil is for that purpose if it has been used! thats why i said get a print of the service history see what has been done,

Id much rather them done every 12k too.

You might get a good deal and a cheap motor here.
Service intervals, mislead by dealer? - bathtub tom
I wonder why the previous owner got rid of it?
Service intervals, mislead by dealer? - shara
At that sort of age/mileage im guessing that maybe its an ex fleet car sourced from auction?
Service intervals, mislead by dealer? - idle_chatterer
surely the dealer has only misled you if you are induced to buy on this false pretext ? If you're sensible you'll walk away, probably best not to consider anything else the dealer has to offer either.

I suppose a casual call to trading standards might be amusing but I suspect there'll be some loophole for the dealer and why waste your energy ? Although ignorance isn't necessarily a defence for the dealer.
I am going to definitely give it a miss, when I said mislead I was meaning the dealer has mislead me as to the integrity of the cars service history, not mislead in a legal sense where yes I would have had to buy it.

Just disappointed I found what looked to be a lovely car with a questionable history, head before heart I suppose!
Service intervals, mislead by dealer? - jc2
Ford do not recommend "longlife oils",therefore 12,500 services.
Service intervals, mislead by dealer? - cheddar
Am I missing something?

The thread title is itself misleading, the OP was mislead by the seller, not by the dealer.