Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - martinalexander
I've only ever changed a flat tyre once myself and it took me ages (and that was outside my own house on a quiet road). Have never experienced this on a motoraway, or any trip, and wondered what people would recommend. I can imagine it's a terrifyig experience jacking up a car next to three lanes of passing traffic. Would you call your breakdown service or try it yourself?
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - piston power
Do it myself.

The breakdown guy won't be too impressed you couldn't be bothered to do it.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - Armitage Shanks {p}
At my age I will call out the breakdown service I have paid for for 15 years and used once!
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - DinUK
Yes.

Just after midnight. M4 somewhere between Slough and Reading I thought that something didn't quite sound right. Car felt normal though, but I thought I check it out and stopped at the hard shoulder. When coming to a halt I saw in my rear view miror smoke coming off the driver's side rear tyre. Moved the car even further over with left side on the grass and only occupying half of the hard shoulder. Got out and changed the tyre, totally destroyed. Only problem was in the dark to align everything to get the wheel back on (just remembered that I still don't carry a torch in the car!). All done in just over 5 mins.

For me the most scary thing was actually not that lorries went by, but that it was really not noticeable that the tyre was flat and only a faint hum gave it away. At that stretch there was a change of road surfaces and moving from a slightly rough surface to a smoother stretch the sound just stayed the same.

DinUK

Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - Happy Blue!
With the exception of location the identical thing happened to me 13 years ago. Slight difference in road noise was all I knew about a flat tyre.

M6, dark cold evening with a boot full of luggage.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - harib
I'd call the breakdown service myself. I don't fancy messing around on the hard shoulder (especially in poor weather conditions) with HGVs thundering along beside me.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - perro
I don't belong to any breakdown service so I guess I'd have to DIY it - no big deal!
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - TheOilBurner
Yes, I would do it myself. However, that's only because I'm experienced with removing road wheels and messing with jacks, so I could do it quickly without putting myself in too much danger.

If you can do it yourself competently then I think you probably should, as it's a little selfish to put someone else in danger because one can't be bothered....

That said, I know that not everyone has the strength, fitness or know-how to do it quickly enough. If you can't do it in less than 5 mins (tops), then get the professionals out.

I'd also only attempt it if I knew in advance that the right kit was in the boot, otherwise it's more time on the hard shoulder fiddling about with things, only to perhaps find you can't get the wheel bolt covers off (beware of this on Vauxhalls in particular!!).
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - cilvilservant
I think it's illegal to change a tyre or carry out any repairs on a hard shoulder.
I think it's illegal to change a tyre or carry out any repairs on a
hard shoulder.

And where did you get that bit of info from?

I'd agree it's daft to spend time trying to fix a problem yourself on the hard shoulder, but I can find no reference in the highway code to changing a tyre.

This is all the highway code has to say on the matter:

"Only change the tyre if you can do so without putting yourself or others at risk ? otherwise call a breakdown service."

Sensible enough I'd say.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - Alby Back
Yes but I'd want to get the vehicle as far to the left as I could and I'd do the job as quickly as possible. If the wheel was wrecked anyway I might very slowly drive down the shoulder to the next exit, refuge or service area
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - ajsdoc
"The breakdown guy won't be too impressed you couldn't be bothered to do it."

Not sure I'm bothered by that argument. That is to say a breakdown company being unimpressed to deal with a breakdown.

Would change my own wheel - unless on the motorway. The breakdown driver would hopefully have been trained to mitigate the risks to himself and people in the broken down car.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - Mapmaker
>>I think it's illegal to change a tyre or carry out any repairs on a hard shoulder.

Funnily enough, I think it is as well. I have no evidence for this assertion, however.

A proper breakdown man has flashing yellow lights aplenty, so is much safer than we would be.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - gordonbennet
Yes i'd always do it meself but as above if the puncture was offside (sods law) i'd put the neaside on the verge and give meself as much room as possible.

If you had an offside puncture at somewhere like Birmingham elevated section you'd have the HA lads there in no time to watch your back for you..thats the sort of place i might be in two minds alone especially in the dark.

As an aside are there any gentlemen left who would stop and help a senior citizen, disabled person or lady in such circumstances who were trying to do the job themselves.
>>As an aside are there any gentlemen left who would stop and help a senior citizen, disabled person or lady in such circumstances who were trying to do the job themselves.

Again, I have a feeling that it would be illegal.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - Altea Ego
I have stopped and changed tyres on the hard shoulder of the motorway. Would do so now.
There is nothing in the highway code to say this is illegal.

I would not stop to assist anyone else change a tyre on the hard shoulder as

A: this is the job of the Highways Agency or other asiistance service
B: it is Illegal. You can only stop on the hard shoulder in an emergency. You stopping to aid someone else with a flat IS NOT an emergency.

As an aside are there any gentlemen left who would stop

Without hestitation and have done. ( especially if they are good looking ) ;-)

Edit - cue Leslie Phillips style "H..e...l..l...o"

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 21/12/2009 at 10:16

Edit - cue Leslie Phillips style "H..e...l..l...o"

So old hat that, i have far better results with
the Captain Hastings' type of approach..i....s..a..y..

;-)
you guy are rubbish

its

"we..ll hel...l.....o........"
Tried "D..in..g D...on...g" once but got a slap....
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - Armitage Shanks {p}
All spare wheels are a pain, really. My earlier post saying I wouldn't do it was because my car, as sold, didn't have a spare wheel (pump and sealant). However access to the spare can be problematical; it is either in the boot which has to be emptied to get at it or it is slung under the boot and one has to lie on the ground to get at it. Are there any other stowage methods in use which are easier?
Another question could be - When was the last time you checked your spare tyre (hehe!)
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - SpamCan61 {P}
Yep, changed a flat on the hard shoulder of the M27 at about 7 a.m. with the external temperature at minus 5 - boy that was fun.

A little while later had a blowout on SWMBO's Zafira, Tolpuddle bypass ( unlit NSL dual carriageway, no hard shoulder) late at night, called the AA. Took 2 hours plus to turn up with whole family + dog on the verge. Wish I'd changed the flippin thing myself.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - jc2
Whilst well able to change my own wheel,I'd always call a breakdown service on a motorway,so that their vehicle complete with large flashing lights protects me from other traffic.I had a puncture on the M25 once(OSR-the worst)and sent my wife off to phone but a Police Range Rover turned up first and the passenger assisted me with the wheel change having sent the driver back about 100yds.They then radioed the m'way control to turn the RAC off.Also having been on a coach that broke down on the M11,it was frightening to see how many HGV were running with their NS wheels on the hard shoulder-this was a full-sized coach-not a minibus ,so they should have been able to see it!!!!
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - idle_chatterer
It depends, firstly I have runflats now so it's kinda academic, secondly I've only once ever had a puncture in 20+ years and I drive 20K-30K miles a year, I'm either lucky or careful (probably the former).

I have to shame-facedly admit that when I did have a puncture (on the Snake Pass) I ended up calling the AA because I couldn't get the wheel off and the nice AA chap had to use a 2m length of pipe to undo the bolts - back in the days when I suffered dreadful service from multiple Vauxhall dealers.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - daveyjp
jc2 has the right apporach. Even if I was going to change it I would use an emergency phone to make central control aware of my presence. A HA/Police patrol vehicle would probably be sent to assist.
Donkeys years ago I was driving from Edinburgh to Glasgow in heavy snow on the M8. A young lad in a Vauxhall Viva overtook me and as he tried to get back into lane one he lost it and went straight over the hard shoulder and disappeared down an embankment. ( silly ...um...sausage eh ? ) I stopped and went to look for him. His car was upside down but he was OK. I took him to Harthill services and gave him a fiver in change for phone calls. I must have given him my details because some weeks later I got a thank you letter. Never saw the fiver again though.....
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - boxsterboy
Yes, I would change a tyre, but if it were safe or possible I would drive slowly along the hard shoulder to find a safer place to do it (e.g. in the lee of a bridge support or where the hard shoulder widened at a junction, or on the slip road/exit of a junction).

Some european motorways sensibly have wider refuges along the hard shoulder to assist in this respect.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - injection doc
I'd agree Jc2, having been hit by a car travelling well in excess of 70+ whilst staionary on a Motorway ! ( due to one lane of traffic suddenly becoming stationary ) I would never change the tyre at the side of a motorway without some form of protection first or one of the recovery services attending.
It only takes one person not paying attention or or their phone! or as Jc2 says a lorry wandering over the line as they often do & your life can be changed for ever!! ah most people will say ! it will never happen to me! you have been warned. You may have all the common sense in the world to deal with a situation but when someone else is behind the wheel of another vehicle it becomes a whole new ball game
As an aside are there any gentlemen left who would stop and help a senior citizen, disabled person or lady in such circumstances who were trying to do the job themselves.

Ok lets say i stop and remove the offending wheel and the spare tyre is bald illegal am i in the wrong to fit this to your car?

You would be in the wrong to drive this car.

If the jack slipped would your insurance pay me for injury compensation i doubt it.

Yes id stop and help if she was gorgeous!
If the jack slipped would your insurance pay me for injury compensation i doubt it.

Wouldn't have given that a thought coming from a time and place where such things never crossed our minds.
Wouldn't have given that a thought coming from a time and place where such things
never crossed our minds.

Correct GB. Sometimes I hate the modern world...
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - Cliff Pope
The offence is STOPPING on the hard shoulder. Everyone agrees that a flat tyre is a legitimate reason for stopping.
What you do having stopped is irelevant. It would not be an offence to eat your packed lunch while waiting at the roadside for the AA, nor to disappear behind some bushes, change a baby's nappy, do yoga, make a phone call. Yet all of those would be illegal if they were the reason for stopping.

So what would the offence be if you changed a tyre?
I'd always call a breakdown service on
a motorway so that their vehicle complete with large flashing lights protects me from other
traffic

I'm sorry, I just don't buy that argument. People drive into parked traffic on the hard shoulder because they're playing with sat-nav/ half asleep or whatever. Flashing lights and hi-viz vests aplenty doesn't help anyone if you haven't been seen at all.

You can see by the fact that police and HA keep adding ever more numbers of reflective strips and flashing lights of various mind bending patterns, that people just don't see them. So they keep adding more, and people still don't see them...

Let's face it, if you're alert and looking ahead, regular hazard lights are quite visible enough to any driver with the required standard of vision.

Best to minimize time spent at the side of the road full stop I reckon. But as always, particular circumstances dictate the best approach at the time.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - jc2
Yes I agree the minimum time but I still want EVERYTHING in my favour!!!!!!

Edited by jc2 on 21/12/2009 at 11:37

Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - JohnM{P}
Agree with jc2! Plus another thought - a few years ago, when the osr deflated suddenly, I called the breakdown services out for same reasons - glad I did, the alloy had stuck to the hub. I would not have wanted to have had to try putting bolts back in loose, letting off the jack, possibly moving car to break the wheel free, then starting over again, with my backside by the white line...
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - Derfel
Not sure if changing a wheel on the motorway is illegal as such, but it is definitely in contravention of the Highway Code Rule 275 relating to breakdowns and incidents on Motorways "do not put yourself in danger by attempting even simple repairs"

www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycod...3

My understanding of the law is that a contravention of the Highway Code is not necessarily an offence as such, but in a court of law it will always be deemed to have the last word. So you would be found at fault in the event of any incident.

I would be happy to change a wheel in normal circumstances but would definitely call the AA if it needed doing on a motorway.
Not sure if changing a wheel on the motorway is illegal as such but it
is definitely in contravention of the Highway Code Rule 275 relating to breakdowns and incidents
on Motorways "do not put yourself in danger by attempting even simple repairs"

Hmm, I repeat myself:

"Only change the tyre if you can do so without putting yourself or others at risk ? otherwise call a breakdown service."

That statement is also from the highway code. Whether changing a tyre is classified as a repair or not, is open to interpretation. I say no. I believe they're trying to stop people from tinkering with faulty cars at the side of the motorway, which is sensible.

As long is you are not in danger, then no problem for changing a tyre, IMHO.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - L'escargot
I'd change it myself. I always ensure that the pressure in the (full size) spare is above that required for those in use so all I would have to do is let out a bit of air to get the right pressure. I've changed a wheel on the hard shoulder of the A1 near Doncaster and the traffic on there is often as much as on a motorway.

Edited by L'escargot on 21/12/2009 at 11:54

Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - old crocks
Yes I would change it myself.
Of those who would wait for the AA etc how many would just sit in the car and how many would get everyone out of the car and as far away from the carriageway as possible?
Indeed, especially if it's -5 outside, snowing and you have two young children with you?

I wouldn't want them sat outside for 2 hours nor sat in the car on the hard shoulder. Changing the tyre yourself has to be the best option.

This is a good argument for practising changing the tyre in safe conditions so that you have confidence to do it when you're under pressure.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - 10 Jags
No, I would call out a Breakdown Service. The simple reason is that they are trained to deal with what is in effect a very dangourous situation, and park their van according to act as a barrier to any car/lorry coming across into the hard shoulder. Also, with all their hi-vis vests they stand out more then you would ever do so at night, combined with the van with reflective strips and flashing lights should help dozy drivers know that something is happening up ahead.

How many honestly know how to change the spare wheel?

It seems a lot want to get help on here to do something of a very basic procedure.

Good argument above -5 kids in car and wife moaning bet they would do it, i like that!
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - L'escargot
How many honestly know how to change the spare wheel?

Changing a wheel should be made part of the driving test.
And against the clock would make it even more realistic!
It seems a lot want to get help on here to do something of a
very basic procedure.

That's because doing a basic procedure in a dangerous situation is still dangerous, and having a flipping great van with lights all over it to protect you to a degree seemed like a good idea to me, for one. Pity about the 2 hour wait .....

The one upside in my case, given that it was plus 1C when this happened with SWMBO's Zafira, is that the kids realised it was actually a good idea to take a coat when you go out in a car, even if you're not intending to get out during the journey.
That's because doing a basic procedure in a dangerous situation is still dangerous, and having a flipping great van with lights all over it to protect you to a degree seemed like a good idea to me, for one. Pity about the 2 hour wait

You can get killed crossing the road, falling off a ladder, eaten by a shark, but waiting 2hrs for somebody else to come and save your butt is a bit silly when for the sake of 10 mins & hazzard warning lights on, you could get it done.

Me thinks some are just bone idle........................
You can get killed crossing the road falling off a ladder eaten by a shark

What the pfd has that got to do with anything? From a personal point of view wating half an hour ( that turned out to be two hours) was less risky then crouching in lane 1 of a totally unlit 70mph dual carriageway changing a wheel.

Me thinks some are just bone idle........................

whatever
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - maz64
crouching in lane 1 of a totally unlit 70mph dual carriageway changing a
wheel.

Scary - doing it on the hard shoulder is one thing, doing it on a dark carriageway is another.

Edited by Focus {P} on 21/12/2009 at 13:09

Yeah, not a situation I want to be in again! I'd still gets the folks woith the flashing lights out on a hard shoulder though, unless there was very good visibility and I could get the car into a relatively safe position.

P.S. Good to see RATM got to number 1 :-)
P.S. Good to see RATM got to number 1 :-)

Yeah - bit surprised actually, and now I feel sorry for poor old Joe... (I'll get over it) :-)
>>> I would call out a Breakdown Service. The simple reason is that they are trained to deal with what is in effect a very dangourous situation, and park their van according to act as a barrier <<<

But .. you could still get squashed sitting in your car waiting for the presently much over worked breakdown services to arrive = DIY & be orf.
All the flashing lights in the world won't make a scrap of difference....the lorry or any other vehicle likely to hit anything on the hard shoulder will be the one travelling fairly close to the truck in front, and until too late will not be able to see up the inside of that vehicle until too late.

You can't take all risks out of life, and the chances of being hit are extremely remote, but you use your loaf and minimise them if you can...the really dodgy places that have armco or concrete walls beside the hard shoulder are the ones to be especially careful of imo.

As said above, i want to be gone from the hard shoulder in the shortest time possible.

Breakdown trucks do get hit...the tyre chap that came and changed a truck flat for me in South Staffs told me he had to nose dive over the armco when someone rammed his van up the back and he was changing a tyre 'tween his van and broken down truck...for some unknown reason they have to park the tyre breakdown van behind a broken down 44 tonner, instead of the perfect place (H&S who don't have to do the job themselves?)...in front.
>>for some unknown reason they have to park the tyre breakdown van behind a broken down 44 tonner, instead of the perfect place

Surely the perfect place is about 200 yards behind the stricken vehicle, lights flashing.

I agree, I wouldn't be standing by armco/a concrete wall if I could help it.

So far as insurance with jacking up somebody else's car is concerned... if I jack up their car and it slips on me then I am a fool and can take my consequences. However, I am not over happy about who would pay for the damage to their car.
Surely the perfect place is about 200 yards behind the stricken vehicle lights flashing.

Problem being MM is that they using compressed air form their van to operate everything including the jack.

Airlines not always long enough, car transporters probably the longest of normal trucks, on B'ham M6 section the tyre breakdown chap had to drive his van partly up the back of my truck so his airline could reach the front wheels....much to the amusement of the old bill sitting in their car on the Northbound side watching us..;)
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - GroovyMucker
I have no confidence in my own ability to change a tyre and indeed have never done it. I can see the principle and could probably do it but for me it is something like going on a rollercoaster: fine if it takes your fancy but not for me unless there is no alternative. It's what I pay my breakdown insurance for.

I used to like the knock off spinners on the wire wheels of my old MG Midget. You didn't need a wheelbrace just a rubber mallet. Very easy to change a wheel quickly.
Would you fix a flat tyre with Tyreweld on a motorway, or call a breakdown man to do it for you?

If the 1 minute it takes to use Tyreweld is an acceptable risk, but 5 mins to change a wheel isn't, where, in between 1 and 5 minutes, is the cut-off point?
Do you apply the same fine shades of risk assessment in the remainder of your life?
The longer you remain in a risky situation, the more likely the risk to occur,
The following press release from the Highways Agency emphasises the dangers on the hard shoulder.

www.highways.gov.uk/news/pressrelease.aspx?pressre...5

Highways Agency Traffic Officers are reminding road users about hard shoulder safety after a heavy goods vehicle collided with a broken down car on the hard shoulder of the M25 in Buckinghamshire last week.

Luckily the driver had followed vital advice and was out of the car and behind the safety barrier before it was struck between junctions 15 and 16............

"The car only had a flat tyre and I might have tried to change it myself as it does feel a bit pathetic calling the breakdown services just to change a tyre for you, but I don't want to imagine what might have happened if I had been doing that when the lorry struck the car."

Jon Caldwell, Highways Agency Network Operations Manager for the East, stressed that the hard shoulder should be only used in an emergency.

Jon Caldwell continued: "If your vehicle breaks down on the motorway ............ do not try even the simplest of repairs.

Hard shoulder accidents are very high severity, 32% were fatal or serious, compared with 13% of all motorway accidents.

Do not try even the simplest of repairs seems to me to be the best advice. Let the professionals do the job. Changing an offside wheel is particularly hazardous however quick you might be.
I suppose we should all be grateful for these safety people. We now have safety officers, safety cameras, safety belts, health and safety......I've never felt so safe.

In fact it's amazing we survived at all. We mustn't have realised just how much danger we were in. Or maybe most of us just took a bit of care when required and used a modicum of common sense ?
Unfortunately people these days are so mollycoddled that sense is no longer common.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - b308
Initially I thought... Yes I would... then thought about it a bit longer and decided that its not quite as simple as that...

It would depend on many things, offside or nearside wheel, how busy is the motorway, is it daylight or night time and is there someone else in the car who could act as a lookout... If I didn't feel safe doing it then I'd call out the RAC...

Its not a question that I can't do it, its a question of whether its prudent and safe to do it... Back in the 70s I would have done it straight away, these days its not that simple.
In fact it's amazing we survived at all. We mustn't have realised just how much
danger we were in. Or maybe most of us just took a bit of care
when required and used a modicum of common sense ?

More likely a case of more people were killed ( proportionally speaking) but less fuss was made about it.
Kept the gene pool clearer though.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - stevied
Is it REALLY that much more dangerous out there these days? No doubt I will be sent a load of reports conclusively "proving" that it is, but really? REALLY? : )

I hate changing tyres, but I would 9 times out of 10 do it myself, just to prove that I am not a complete effete fool. Although I am, obviously.
Point taken re the modern obsession with safety and I am no supporter of safety cameras, speed bumps, etc but this just seems like a daft risk to take, working on your car on the hard shoulder when you could just call in the professionals to do the job properly.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - legacylad
Never. Ever. Not in a million years.
I pay for breakdown cover and would sit a long way the other side of the barrier until I had 'flashing light' protection to my rear"!
Two years ago I got out the AA to change my flat tyre in Tesco's...I had the spare out and jacked up in 2 minutes, but even with my lump hammer (do not ask) the wheel would not come off and I was not prepared to risk crawling underneath and the scissors collapsing on me. The AA man concurred.
An extending wheel brace would have been handy.

www.toolspot.co.uk/product/extending-wheel-brace-w...t
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - legacylad
I have one in the car.
Very, very useful but would not make any difference to my course of action.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - b308
Is it REALLY that much more dangerous out there these days?

Simple answer is yes, just for starters I could give you two reasons, one is that there are far more vehicles around than there used to be making it more likely for something to hit you, and second is that "in car distractions" such as mobile phones are also vastly increased on what there used to be... ask anyone who used to drive in the 60s and 70s (or even the 80s) if you don't believe me... much nicer in those days...
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - uk_in_usa
I did it myself. As I tightened the last nut I got surprised to see some boots stood next to me. It was a cop in a big diesel 4x4 and I was so engrossed in the job they had pulled up right behind and I hadn't noticed! He told me I should be more careful. I did have the car as far off the road as I could get it though!
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - OG
Most motorway deaths occur on the hard shoulder which is why the police, HA, RAC, AA people etc tend to park their vans a hundred yards or so behind the vehicle they've come to assist.

I did it once but I don't think I'd do so again, certainly not under the same circumstances. It was a wet night on the M40, the rear offside tyre and although I'd pulled over as close to the barriers as I could get I had to hold on to the wheelarch like grim death every time an HGV went past. I quickly got the impression that they were driving as close to me as they dared deliberately. Their little joke no doubt not that I found it very amusing.

I find standing on the end of the wheelbrace and bouncing up and down a bit is normally quite effective at loosening overtightened wheelnuts.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - martinalexander
Glad I'm not alone in being less than eager to do this! I'm pretty inexperienced with cars anyway but the one time I changed a wheel, it took me ages to find the correct jacking points (had to check the handbook) and even when I completed the procedure I was anxious about whether I'd done it correctly. I would say it probably took me about 45 mins from start to finish. The thought of doing that on a day like today, where I've just driven a car with a broken heater, (with condensation like driving a mobile shower cubicle) and my fingers were frozen to the bone - there's no way I could contemplate changing a wheel on a motorway. I understand people saying you can't take all the risks out of life but I think it would be too much dicing with death for me. I'd probably drop a spanner into the snow and get rammed up the backside by a motorbike while searching for it. We're all only here once and although I also understand the concern for the sfaety of breakdown contractors, at least they've had training in these situations and they know what they're doing.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - oilrag
I would do it in around 5 minutes. Every time I get a new vehicle I have the wheel and tools out and try them out, remembering the jacking points as a result.
The AA membership just ran out and I`m going through as phase of resenting subsidizing others who are always calling them out.
For example, replaced the battery on the van at the very first hint of weakness - rather than waiting for anything resembling a potential failure to start.

I`m always checking tyres too and poking at things that look like nail ends.
Can you approach the car without looking at the treads?

You may have already read the following.

I`ve twice tried to help people stuck on the Motorway. Once a group of girls who were on the banking with no coats - broken down 2CV (I was driving one and in the club 2CVGB) and got treated as though I was the Ripper approaching. Help refused! Managed to hand one the club magazine which was all about helping others - at arms length!!... caught the wistful look of one as rain lashed into them as I drove off. Too late.

There was another situation with a young woman crying at the side of her car, on the hard shoulder - my wife went to her and she screamed and locked herself in her car unable to communicate. In the end we rang the AA for her and had an argument with them "want to speak to the member" who was howling in the car (at our presence, we agreed later) through an inch slit in the window - that I was not going to put my phone through.
After putting ourselves at risk in that situation we decided to stop for no one at all, under any circumstances.
Sad really.

There was also that fat cat with an old Jag who ran out of petrol - I was only a kid and drove him to our local garage for fuel. I could sense him assessing me as a fool for doing it - sure enough, not even a thanks - no chance of recompensing me for own fuel doing it.

Rewired a decent blokes tow bar electrics once at a service area, grateful !!.

Best to hang onto that memory, I suppose ;-)

>>> Rewired a decent blokes tow bar electrics once at a service area, grateful !!.
Best to hang onto that memory, I suppose ;-) <<<

As my ole mate who lived on the Moor's would say "It's a funny old life"
The AA membership just ran out and I`m going through as phase of resenting subsidizing
others who are always calling them out.

We just changed to Green Flag - quite cheap (£37.80 for basic rescue 2 cars, 2 drivers) and minimum of £10 cashback if you go through Quidco:
www.quidco.com/green-flag/
Best to hang onto that memory I suppose ;-)

I think that it takes but a few seconds to recognise one's own way in another, sadly gentlemen and ladies are in dwindling supply, a rare and savoured pleasure the fleeting moment of mutual recognition...of course it's not voiced, that would never do but the warmth in the handshake and in the eye of each beholder stays for a long time.

However one wants to interpret this waffle, perceived social standing and wealth are irrelevent , and often at odds with experiences.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - nb857
It normally takes me 90 minutes to change all 4 wheels on my tractor, and the back wheels have a 46 inch rim and are jolly heavy. I reckon I could manage to change the 14 inch wheel on my car on the side of the motorway with out much hassle. But it would be nice if a lane was closed for a bit of cover.

Whether any future car I buy will give me the luxury of doing this myself, remains to be seen.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - BobbyG
How many of you who changed your tyre were able to get it repaired?
Would imagine a puncture at 70mph will pretty much shred the tyre.
I think I would just stick the hazards on, and drive slowly along the hard shoulder until I found a slip road and just write the tyre off.

On a separate note, I recently passed a broken down motor cyclist on the M8.
Now here is a dilemma for you!!!

For any of you who know it, it was Eastbound, immediately after the cut off for Springburn. It was pouring rain, dark, and this section does not have a hard shoulder, the left hand side of the inside lane is a large crash barrier. Motorbike was sitting against this barrier and the rider had climbed over to the other side of the barrier.

However..........
the reason that there is no hard shoulder and there is the big barrier is because that section is a bridge. So he had climbed over the barrier and was clinging to the side of a bridge rather than risk running along the inside lane in wet heavy traffic to safety.

I have no idea what decision I would make in that instance, I have no idea if he knew at that point what was on the other side, and I have no idea what he would have done if someone had crashed into the barrier - instinctively let go??

I bet he needed a full change of clothing, starting from the inside out!!
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - oilrag
There was also a young woman one morning outside my work, bonnet up on her Suzuki Jimney (or whatever it was called back then)

I went over and could see a spark plug dangling on its lead. Full tool box out - managed to get it back in on the remaining threads - and advice on helicoil and so on.

I followed that with the immortal line " If you ever hear Social Workers are useless - remember that"
Her mouth hung open as I went in to work - jacket and tie intact.

Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - Gotanoldhondar

I think with one flat you could easily make it to the next exit ,albeit slowly so the question
for me is irrelevant.

I do when i get a new car change a wheel just so i know what i'm doing in case its needed.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - ianjoh
I have always told my missus (and me!) to carry on driving safely until it is safe to stop regardless of distance. The cost of getting another rim from the scrappies is peanuts compared to the worst case scenario.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - bell boy
too many posts to read but ive done 2 punctures in two different cars on the m62 in the last five years,both times i was passengering and both times it wasnt my car,they were both from road debris and both were front punctures at 60/70 mph
i have to say you need your wits about you as you do the change and you need one eye on the traffic at ALL times,both the ones i did were both times o.s ie nearest the juggernoughts if you are a member of a scheme that can do the wheel change for you and you arent mechanically 100% then i would urge you to walk up the embankment and call them and wait because its a long time that we are dead if we make a mistake
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - Dave_TD
All the flashing lights in the world won't make a scrap of difference....
the lorry or any other vehicle likely to hit anything on the hard shoulder will be
the one travelling fairly close to the truck in front,
and will not be able to see up the inside of that vehicle until too late.

I've almost been that truck myself GB. Approaching a regular turnoff from the M1 (J14 southbound exit) in the rain, slowed from 56 to 53ish behind another lorry in Lane 1 at around the half-mile marker, counted down 3, 2, 100 yards and gone to swing left into the 2-lane slip road only to find Lane 1 of the slip road coned off for a tyre change with the cones effictively continuing on from the white line of the hard shoulder. That wakes you up, I can tell you ;-)

And back to the topic, if I could see a reasonable distance back along the carriageway, and if I could park a reasonable distance off it, then probably. Otherwise, no chance.
Would you change flat tyre yourself on motorway? - ijws15
I would. Done it twice. The less time you spend stationary on the hard shoulder the better.

First time about 20 years ago, M1, family in car. Offside puncture (tyre disintegrated) stopped to look and then drove about aq mile slowly down the hard shoulder to a spot where I could get most of the car off the hard shoulder (was a couple of miles south of the M18 and there are some wide hard shoulder sectuions there. Was surprised how much the triangle had moved when I collected it.

Second time was M25 just north of Dartford about 4 years ago. Nearside front - just the two of us in car. Told wife to stand on grass and watch for vehicles that might be too close while I changed the wheel - broke the rules as space saver went on the front - was not going to change two, got us into Romford for a replacement which was quicker and safer than driving home on the space saver.

Wife is instructed NOT TO but to call the RAC.
The less time you spend stationary on the hard shoulder the better.

So wouldn't it be better to get onto the verge and let someone else do it? (at less risk ie. with recovery van in the way)
I`m always checking tyres too and poking at things that look like nail ends.
Can you approach the car without looking at the treads? No..lol........

When you get a house do you look where the fuse box is? do you look for the water stop tap? the gas meter and valve? i guess 98% will say Yes.!

So when you get a car why not make a cup of tea get out the manual and read were the simple jacking points are? get out the jack don't just look at it wind it does it work?

Use it on the jacking points are they strong enough to jack up the car? have a go at removing the wheel.

It's a very basic procedure like checking the oil and water & tyre pressures, driving around with a flat tyre is dangerous besides damaging the wheel even more so if alloy,

It's not rocket science it's just a spare wheel, im sure you would not take your push bike in a shop for a puncture you would fix it yourself.

OK, so it's too dangerous even to use Tyreweld.
We are now down to seconds counting in the safety stakes. If it takes 2 seconds to get out of the driver's door (but you get out into the oncoming traffic) or 5 seconds to scramble across to the passenger door, which do all the H&S experts advise?
So when you get a car why not make a cup of tea get out
the manual and read were the simple jacking points are? get out the jack don't
just look at it wind it does it work?

Also worth checking that you have the correct key for any locking wheelnuts. Not sure if even the AA would have a key available in the case of the motorist not having the correct one.
>>Two years ago I got out the AA to change my flat tyre in Tesco's...I had the spare out
>>and jacked up in 2 minutes, but even with my lump hammer (do not ask) the wheel
>>would not come off and I was not prepared to risk crawling underneath and the scissors
>>collapsing on me.

That is a STUPID - no offence meant :) - way to do it.

You loosen the nuts slightly when all four wheels are firmly on the ground. THEN you jack it up. Undo the nuts - this should be (pretty much) a fingers-only job; change wheel, retighten nuts (pretty much fingers-only), then lower car. THEN you tighten the wheels.
>>
You loosen the nuts slightly when all four wheels are firmly on the ground. THEN
you jack it up. Undo the nuts - this should be (pretty much) a fingers-only
job; change wheel retighten nuts (pretty much fingers-only) then lower car. THEN you tighten the
wheels.

Spot on.
a) You have already checked regularly that the wheels aren't corroded to the hubs
b) Leave the brace hanging on a wheel nut while you lower the jack, so that you don't forget to tighten the nuts in your haste to get going again.