Reliable used car - The Gent
Help!

My Nissan Tino has been a reliable car for the last nine years but unfortunately with age
(it happens to us all) it just isn't worth keeping it any longer.

So time for a change. I'm looking for a car that'll get me up and down a motorway
(60 miles a day) in reasonable comfort with a reasonable MPG. But most importantly of all good reliability and sub £5000

I would also need to fit the Missus and my three kids in it occasionally. Although she's driving around in a nice new Mazda5 (how did that happen?!)

I think I have befuddled my brain by looking at to many reviews because I now seem to be chasing my tail unable to make a decision. And every time I read the "bad bits" and "what to look out for" I change my mind again.

Anyone got a suggestion other than buy a bike?
Reliable used car - Pugugly
Nice Vectra-C cheaper than the Ford equivalent - unless Humph will sell you his Mondeo cheap !
Reliable used car - Alby Back
To Ford, or not to Ford, that is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous prejudice....

I'd be be looking for a Mondeo, but the tooth suckers'll be along soon. Good luck in your search.
Reliable used car - Happy Blue!
How big are the kids? How often are you likely to travel 5 up? How much other driving do you do?

30 miles each way on the motorway is easy for almost any car on the market including the tiny tiny ones like Citroen C1. The difference between travelling comfortably at 80mph or 65mph for 30 miles will make very little difference in the journey time or level of stress.

Why not look for a Madza 3 or the previous shape Honda Civic? Or a Focus? Surely a Mondeo size car is unnecessarily big?
Reliable used car - piggy
What about a Toyota Corolla.SWMBO`s car has now done over 90k. What parts (apart from tyres) has it needed in all that mileage? Just a screen washer pump,and that was probably because she tried to get it to work with no water! GRRR,that`s women drivers for you.
Reliable used car - perro
If you hunt around, you could find a nice one owner Almera - one of the last one's made, make sure it's got full MD service history though.
Reliable used car - turbo11
Mazda 6 or Mazda 3 petrol,if you can find one at that money. My wifes had her Mazda 3 for 3 years now, and we havn't even changed a bulb.Faultless so far.You should be able to get an 04 Mazda 6 for £4- 5K
Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

I will definatly look at the medium sized Mazda's and Honda's.
It maybe only 60 miles a day but it's on the Cumbrian stretch of the M6. So a little car couldn't cope with the gales we get and the back roads i take into the fells. I know it shouldn't make a differance but tell that to my last Fiat and Polo that disintergrated before my eyes.

Also at 16 stone (all muscle...cough) I tend to wear the little cars out.

Reliable used car - Jcoventry
Toyota Corolla is a sensible suggestion as they are very reliable and a smooth drive. And just like the Almera, if you find a one owner with full service history, then you should have a solid car. I might be test driving one soon.
Reliable used car - Clk Sec
>>Mazda 6 or Mazda 3 petrol
>>My wifes had her Mazda 3 for 3 years now, and we havn't even changed a bulb.Faultless >>so far.You should be able to get an 04 Mazda 6 for £4- 5K

I'd go along with that. I've had my Mazda6 (petrol) for over seven years and it's reliable, comfortable, relatively cheap to service, and like turbo11, I haven't had to change a bulb yet!

Clk Sec
Reliable used car - Martin Devon
>make sure it's got full MD service history though.
>>
I never touched it Guv......honest!

MD
Reliable used car - FotheringtonThomas
Nice Vectra-C

Hi PU, I was thinking about one of these - but don't the flwheels disintegrate inside 10 minutes on 3/4 of them?
Reliable used car - Phil F.
Hi,
Talking about the Corolla,I bought one of these because they had the reputation of being very reliable and solid,which I am sure they are.
However,particularly Jcoventry,I would suggest if your are interested in the Corolla to have a LONG test drive.I found mine had excessive tyre noise and very vague steering at anything like motorway speed.Comfy seats though.My much better half has recently bought a 03 Focus automatic which IMHO is a much nicer car to drive than the Corolla,worlds apart in fact!I was so disappointed with the Corolla I sold it after 2 months.
To the OP,as suggested above,the Vectra C is a great car.I have had several as company cars and really liked them.As an alternative,you might consider an Avensis 2 which I have now and am very pleased with it.
Cheers.....Phil
Thank you for your responses and opinions.

I did go and have a look at the Corolla but it wasn't for me. However I stumbled upon a 54 reg Toyota Avensis T3-X with 40000 on the clock and FSH. Got it for £4600 with a years warranty. And they also put that paint treatment stuff on. "Diamondbrite" I think they called it. I've got the kit that came with it at home so I'll check the name later.

Thanks to this web-site I spotted the melted headlight bulb sockets and had them replaced. I also made sure the steering rack had been replaced and that the car wasn't going through excessive oil.

And no the accelerator pedal hasn't stuck........yet!

Really nice car. Bit of tyre noise but I can live with that. Does everything well, a bit to well. Effortless to drive. Dare I say boring?
Hi,
Good choice.I have the same model,auto version.
As you say,totally effortless to drive,very comfortable,only real let down is more road noise than you would like(Vectra is a lot quieter).
As regards excessive oil consumption,you do need to check oil regularly,because if you are unlucky they can suddenly start drinking it.Mr T will cover this problem,if it has a full service history,up to 7 yrs or 112,000 miles.
Hope you enjoy your new motor!
Cheers....Phil.
Reliable used car - George Porge
Really nice car. Bit of tyre noise but I can live with that.

What make are the tyres?
Some cheapo never heard of before brand on the front, which I will change. And P 8000's on the rears

Yes I'm checking the oil every week. Cheers Phil

Edited by The Gent on 02/02/2010 at 12:34

Hi,
Mine has the original Bridgestones,at 28,000,need to replace shortly.
Any ideas for quiet replacements please?
Cheers....Phil.
Bridgestone Potenza RE720's are supposed to be very quiet.