03 2.0 3rd gear syncro "weak" - Chad.R
The clutch on my 2003 Mondeo TDCi (130) 6-spd estate failed over the weekend and I have just got it back after having the clutch, DMF and slave cylinder replaced along with a major service.

The garage, when handing the car back said "Do you know that your 3rd gear syncro is weak?" and went on to explain to me what the symptoms were.....when engaging 3rd gear during normal driving it "crunches" - the other 5 forward gears are fine as is reverse (though I believe it doesn't have syncromesh).

Now, I only got the car back early evening today and haven't had a chance to drive more than 2-3 miles but the problem is very obvious and wasn't present before the clutch failure......

An ideas what might be the cause?

The garage (perhaps honestly though rather conveniently) put it down to an existing problem.......though now having driven it home, I know it wasn't.

I'll have a chat with them tomorrow but would like to know a bit more about what I'm talking about....

A quick 'tinternet serach provides links to mis-aligned gear linkages, dragging clutches and top-up of clutch hydraulic/gearbox fluid.

TIA.

Edited by Chad.R on 16/12/2009 at 22:18

03 2.0 3rd gear syncro "weak" - Peter.N.
There is not a lot you can do to damage a synchro, they normaly just wear, they can crack but then you lose the synchro altogether. I drove a Citroen XM from London to Dorset with no clutch, gave the gearbox quite a hard time but it didn't damage it.

It could be that if you change gear sensibly you don't notice it, its changing gear to quickly before the synchro has had time to work that causes it to crunch, particularly when the oil is cold. Maybe its been like it for some time but you have'nt noticed it.
...Maybe its been like it for some time but you have'nt noticed it.

Certainly not. The gear change was fine in any of the gears before.

Now there is a distinct "crunch" everytime you engage 3rd (only), worst when trying to change quickly, slightly better if you change gear like your doing brain surgery.

Looking on another forum, it may be something simple as adjusting the cable operated gear change mechanism. I hope so......

03 2.0 3rd gear syncro "weak" - Peter.N.
Is the clutch disengaging properly? do you have to push it right to the floor? If you do does it still crunch? Will reverse engage without crunching when stationary?
AFAIK the clutch is disengaging properly. The bite point is fairly low now since it's been replaced. It was quite high just before it was replaced but I have been told that is normal.

BTW it doesn't matter how you change the gears (i.e. smoothly or savagely) it only "crunches" in 3rd. All other gears, including reverse are fine and as before.

Reverse (and the 6 forward gears) can be engaged without any crunching or other abnormal behaviour with or without the engine running, when the car is stationary. Reverse can be engaged without any fuss even when the car is rolling forward *very* gently...

Also, just noticed tonight, that BOTH my reverse lights do not work - too much of a coincidence for both bulds to blow just after the clutch/DMF change, must be related - Is the reverse light switch located near the gearbox?
03 2.0 3rd gear syncro "weak" - injection doc
Chad r, I would ask the garage to change the gearbox oil & use fords specific oil. There was a TSB for Mondeo gearboxes with a weak 2nd 0r 3rd & i seem to recall an oil change was required. When the clutch was fitted they may of just filled the box with any gearbox oil.Use Ford specific oil & there may be a modified part mumber if your synchros are bad.
Reoving & refitting a box wouldn't normally cause a gearbox issue.
03 2.0 3rd gear syncro "weak" - WorkshopTech
Another vote for the oil, as above.
Thanks to everyone that responded.

I'll get in touch with the garage and get them to change the oil and also have a look at the gear change cable and reverse light switch etc.

Cheers,