Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - movilogo
Some National Express/Greenline coaches have double axles on rear yet some other coaches of same length don't.

What's the reason?
Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - Rattle
I think its due to the amount of weight they can support. If you have a lot of weight there will be too much preasure on the tyres and axles so by providing an extra axle you can have a lot more weight.

It if they are same length the coach with two axles could have a much heavier engine for a example. There are a lot of ex Kenyan buses double axle double decker operating in the student routes of Manchester, legend has they have carried upto 140 students!

Edited by Rattle on 15/12/2009 at 21:48

Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - M.M
Often follow a double decker around the tight car park corners taking the kids into school... always interested to watch the action of is extra rear axle steering. Actual steering or a compliant bush mounted axle I wonder?

Edited by M.M on 15/12/2009 at 21:53

Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - Dynamic Dave
Badwolf wasn't previously called Rob The Bus for nothing ;o)
Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - Badwolf
Badwolf wasn't previously called Rob The Bus for nothing ;o)

I can't work out if that's an insult or not. Knowing DD's legendary sense of humour, I think that I shall take it as one, but take it in the best of spirits ;-)

To be perfectly honest, I don't really know why they have a third axle. The OP is correct, though, in saying that some do have the extra axle when they are no longer than others without. I can only assume that it's a weight issue. Something that I am all too familiar with...
Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - Dynamic Dave
I can't work out if that's an insult or not.

Hi Rob, no, not at all. Harmless bit of micky taking of your former name. ie, an axle missing - your name was formerly Rob the bus. Need I explain more?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/12/2009 at 14:13

Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - Badwolf
Indeed not. Apologies, was having a blonde moment. Well, bald moment if the truth be known but we'll not dwell on that too much...

I spent a fair bit of time today digging around in the Back Room archives re-reading all my posts and threads from when I was RTB - happy days!

Cheers.
Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - Dave_TD
On lorries the single rear axle versions can weigh a maximum of 17500kg, the twin rear axle ones can weigh 26500kg. So I'd guess the twin rear axle coaches need the extra axle as they can weigh more than 17.5 tonnes? I've never really looked all that hard at Nat Exp coaches, apart from the ones using the outside lane of the motorway rather than sit at 56 behind a lorry in the middle lane :-/ however I'd assume the twin rear axle models would be partially or fully double deckers to warrant the extra payload.

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 15/12/2009 at 21:57

Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - Harleyman
On lorries the single rear axle versions can weigh a maximum of 17500kg the twin
rear axle ones can weigh 26500kg. >>

>>

You stand slightly corrected Dave. Maximum GVW for a 4-wheeler is 18000kg, for a 6-wheeler it's 26000kg. There are various permitations regarding the 6-wheelers, mostly to do with axle conversions and chassis configuration but that's the top line.

just for the record, although this is by no means definitive, an 8-wheeler rigid can weigh up to 32000kg, a 5-axle artic 41000 kg, and a 6-axle up to 44000

Edited by Harleyman on 16/12/2009 at 10:51

Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - frazerjp
How come many 5-axle arctics used by supermarkets are 37000kg ?
How come many 5-axle arctics used by supermarkets are 37000kg ?

>>

I did say "up to"; I would suggest that they run at this weight to take advantage of a favourable taxation rate for the tractor units, whilst allowing them to still use the tri-axle trailers with other units at the full 44-tonne limit if necessary. Some years ago, many supermarket trailers were tandem axle which meant that the residual values were poor; now that most of them are likely to be leased they've obviously thought out a solution.
Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - L'escargot
........... 5-axle arctics ...........

Are they for use in cold weather?
;-)
Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - notathletic
I think you'll find that they are 15metres long while the others are 12 metres. The forwardmost of those wheels turns to help with steering round tight corners in towns.
Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - retgwte
I understood that in recent years its become much more economic to refurbish older coaches than to buy new ones

New coaches apparently need hoists to get disabled folk in wheelchairs on, and these significantly add to the cost of a coach, rather than pay for this national express and others are preferring to refurb their current fleet and keep the older coaches going longer than they would have otherwise

Apparently the few newer coaches with such facilities for wheelchairs hardly ever have wheelchair passengers anyways

Sounds like another law pushing up costs totally out of balance to the benefit to the community
When I spoke to soembody at Stagecoach I was told the opposite and that the service needs to have wheel chair enabled coaches or buses anyway. I know most the buses in Manchester are less than three years old and these are constantly being replaced, the buses then will get cascaded into other cities, Oxford is a dumping ground of the 3-5 year old Manchester buses.

I suspect is probably the much smaller companies which are reburbishing rather than buying new. A new coach costs around £200,000 but I can imagine by the time you buy a half decent second hand coach rebuild the engine etc the price is probably coming close to 100k.

Labour is just too expensive, its not like the old days of the routemaster were the engineers were not paid that much compared to today.
I think I've carried about a dozen wheelchairs in the last three years. BUT what happened today? Had a bus with step entrance and two people in wheelchairs wanted on.
Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - retgwte
yes i think these rules are for coaches and not buses
Stagecoach do have a big coach operation, Megabus, most their buses are brand new or 55 reg at the oldest although they do have a few older ones.

It seems to be smaller companies that do the refurbs and then stick on a Northern Ireland plate to try and hide its true age.
Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - helicopter
So what did you do not athletic ? You make it sound as though it was too much bother to load them.

I hope they were able to get on board and not ignored. The whole subject of discrimination against the disabled makes me so annoyed ( particularly the able bodied who park in disabled bays. and the lack of lifts and access on London underground)

Maybe your company should try the American way.

In Memphis with a disabled friend on crutches the trolley buses have a fascinating hydraulic lift at each stop....

Each lift is surrounded by a fence with gate access and exit so when he travelled with us the whole trolley system was stopped by a call to the control centre.

Driver then exits bus and operates lift with a valve key so friend is raised to the entrance by water power and then a walkway is produced from the trolley which slots across to the lift. Gate then opened by driver and friend walks on to trolley. Driver then puts ramp back and then lowers lift before then calling control to say he is proceeding . Same procedure in reverse when we offload two stops down the line .

Took about five minutes each time but done with a whole 'no problem ' attitude.
Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - Old Navy
Took about five minutes each time but done with a whole 'no problem ' attitude.

>>
We only have ourselvs to blame for the poor service we recieve in the UK, The Americans would not accept it. One of the few things I like about the USA is the standard of service.
Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - injection doc
some would be shocked at how much weight can be put in the boot ( unless its rear engined!)
when I drove for Greenline & NE years ago when we used to do the conti trips 100 crates of beer weighed approx a ton! 53 people on a coach & each buy 10 crates you have a problem!
(A) the coach hits the deck comming off the ferry & (B) once a boot floor fell out on a motorway ,passengers were then restricted to a couple of crates each! ah the good old days, no speed restrictions & we could use any lane of a motorway
A wonderful system I'm sure. Please don't take this the wrong way, helicopter,I'm as much in favour of equal acess for the disabled as anyone else, but can you imagine the Sheffield tram system, for instance, being stopped dead for five minutes every time a disabled passenger embarked using that method ? Laudable though it is, it'd cause chaos on a tightly-timetabled British system.
Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - helicopter
Short answer Harleyman - Yes I can
The point I was making was that it seems something of a backwards solution. Far better to have the lift system on the vehicle itself (as is done on modern buses) which can be lowered, passenger on, lift up, drive away. No need for the driver to leave the cab (a risky procedure on inner-city routes) so stoppage time is considerably reduced, and I suspect more cost-effective.
Why some coaches have extra rear axles? - Old Navy
No need for the
driver to leave the cab (a risky procedure on inner-city routes)

Where are the police in riot gear when you need them, or the judges to jail those who make it risky. Police officers have told me that they rarely talk to Mr Average, they have their regular "customers", pity these "regulars" aren't in jail.
No they weren't ignored. We only have two step buses that might be used in service as opposed to school runs only. I knew that wheelchair accessible buses were just behind me and explained that to them and they were happy with that (and with knowing that nearly every other bus has an easy to use ramp).

The DDA will ensure that all service buses from 2012 will be wheelchair accessible.