Key fob batteries - Lud
I paid more than a fiver for two 3 volt batteries for the remote entry fob for my car. They had the right code number on them but were a different make from the old ones, and were matt finish rather than shiny.

They don't work. Today my SiL gave me a 3v battery of the same size with a different code number on it, and of yet another make, but shiny. The fob is now rejuvenated and works better than it ever has.

What is it with this carp? Enough to give you a heart attack.
Key fob batteries - oilrag
You`re burning the midnight oil a bit Lud, posting at 3.35am!

I had a look at the price of these batteries - also for watches where it`s now over £12 a go (fitted) at some places around here.
I found you could get a whole sheet of a dozen or so for half that - so bought a watch back removal tool and now tapping my fingers waiting for the next watch to stop. Then will order the batteries off Amazon.

That said, just bought two different `pancake`type button batteries for a scale and timer at around £3.50 each.
If I were in charge I would send a directive to comrades in the factories to build all electronic devices around a standard hearing aid battery.
Key fob batteries - Andy P
Did you check to see if the "non shiny" batteries weren't coated with a thin peel-off plastic layer>
Key fob batteries - jc2
If you go to www.watchbattery.co.uk ,it will tell you all about these batteries and why some cost a lot more than others(FAQ)-you can even buy from them.
Key fob batteries - carl_a
Unknown brands of these are well known for not actually working or loosing power very quickly.

You need to get quality brands from places such as farnell, CPC or rapid even Maplin may be ok for this sort of thing.
Key fob batteries - henry k
>>I paid more than a fiver for two 3 volt batteries for the remote entry fob for my car.
>>
Oh dear Dear !
One of the main reasons I visit the Pound shop, 99p , Poundland of any similar outfits is to buy a card of button batteries.
The cards have 30 yes thirty various sized batteries on them , usually about five types and this varies shop.
My small and tiny LED pocket torches use button batteries so the saving is significant.

>>Unknown brands of these are well known for not actually working or loosing power very quickly.
I have not had any problems - to date

Edited by henry k on 15/12/2009 at 09:50

Key fob batteries - Altea Ego
My bedside draw is full of watches, Rolexes, Brietlings, Patek Phillipes, casios, pulsars, etc.

All with dead batteries.

So I bought a poundland card of a gazzilion batteries.

Do any of them fit any watch of mine? No NO and thrice NO!
Key fob batteries - Bill Payer
My bedside draw is full of watches Rolexes Brietlings Patek Phillipes

All with dead batteries.

Did you buy the watches in your local market, by any chance? :)

Edited by Bill Payer on 15/12/2009 at 10:41

Did you buy the watches in your local market by any chance? :)

well market yes, but not so local. why what are you suggesting?
well market yes but not so local. why what are you suggesting?

That you have an unusually large number of nice watches, including multiple Rolex's which, as far as I know, never have batteries!
That you have an unusually large number of nice watches including multiple Rolex's which as
far as I know never have batteries!

NO! you jest! have I been conned? Rolexes dont cost 10 dollars?
NO! you jest! have I been conned? Rolexes dont cost 10 dollars?

Just don't wear it in Belgium (indeed France and Italy have been taking counterfeit stuff off holiday makers for the last couple of years.

www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1587840.html?menu=
Key fob batteries - Armitage Shanks {p}
I chanced having my Breitling battery changed at Timpsons. £10 instead of £42 thru a dealer. It is fine except it probably isn't water resistant to 200 metres any more. No problem, I don't have a deep bath! Breitling also wanted to clean and service the watch for even more money. How can anything water resistant to a gazillion metres get dirt and dust into it?
Key fob batteries - jc2
I gave you the website above;it'll even tell you which battery for each watch!!!.The market cards are usually of Alkaline batteries-good watches use Silver Oxide batteries which are expensive and change price as Silver changes price on the world market.
I gave you the website above;it'll even tell you which battery for each watch

If I knew what works were inside the Rolex, The Patek Phillipe or the Brietling that would be very handy.
I think a lot of keys use CR2032's, as do a couple of Disney Christmas baubles that Mrs BP has bought.

I just got 8 Duracell CR2032's from an ebay seller for a fiver (post free).
Key fob batteries - Alby Back
I've had a Tag for 20 odd years ( the watch before you ask, not one of those ankle things ! ) At first I remember having to send it away for batteries and a clean at great expense. Latterly though, I too have been taking it to Timpsons. As has been said they don't guarantee its waterproofness but I've continued to use it for an odd summer holiday dive without problems. Admittedly with a cheap Casio digital on the other wrist just in case !
Key fob batteries - jc2
I've got a Tag Heuer-cost me a whole £10! It looks just the same as a genuine one-even to the wording on the back.There was an article in the paper recently stating that most people use their phones for timekeeping so that sales of cheap watches have decreased but sales of expensive "timepieces" or arm candy or bling have increased.
Those ones don't even need batteries jc2. You just have to fit a new cockroach when the old one drowns or dies of fatigue.
Key fob batteries - bathtub tom
Can you drown a cockroach? ;>)
Dunno, ask jc2 and AE.....
Not really - they float. I know it can live for several weeks without its head,

If my brietling needs a new cockroach then thats fine, I wil get some down the local takeaway - problem solved What size is needed?

Edited by Altea Ego on 15/12/2009 at 11:16

Key fob batteries - Lud
The batteries that cost a fiver, and don't work, are Duracell. They have a satin finish and are stamped 'Swiss made'. On the underside they are stamped 'US'. That's true at least.
you did put them in the right way round?.......
Key fob batteries - Lud
Come come AE. The shiny ones that worked (but are now knackered) are Varta.
Key fob batteries - Martin Devon

No Varting here please.

Take it to Timpsons Lud. A nice man will replace the battery and if it doesn't work you'll get a refund. He'd also fettle your tennis shoes while you're there in to the bargain.

Any trouble let me know, his boss is our MP now.

;-)
Key fob batteries - jbif
The batteries that cost a fiver, and don't work, are Duracell. They have a satin finish and are stamped 'Swiss made'. >>

Could be from the same "Swiss" factory where AE's watches were made.

p.s. If you want a reliable High Street source for these batteries at a decent price, try Wilkinsons.

>> The batteries that cost a fiver and don't work are Duracell. They have a
satin finish and are stamped 'Swiss made'. >>

Hmm - Duracell's are widely faked.

The ones I just got off eBay say made in Indonesia on them although the packaging mentions Switzerland (for Proctor & Gamble, Duracell's parent). They are nice and shiny too!
Key fob batteries - Sparrow
I think the 3 series BM charges its battery when the key is in the ignition. I've never had to change the batteries of any of my 3 series - 3 of them, two kept for 3 years and the current one is now a year and a half old.
I get my watch battery changed at Asda - well the little shop in the Asda building.
Dont know if thats true.

I have kept all my cars for 4 years, and never had to change one.
Key fob batteries - Devolution
My ex didn't even comprehend the fact that modern key fobs had batteries, presumably expecting it was magic fairy dust that opened the car. It wasn't until she remarked that whereas she used to open the car from the other side of the supermarket car park, she now had to spend ages clicking the button about 2 inches from the lock itself to get it to open, that light finally dawned. (PS. That's not the reason she's now my ex! :-) )

I guess that the fob only draws power when actually operated so unless you unlock/lock the car a lot, or the key is exposed to extreme temperatures, most batteries will last quite a while. Like BP above I got my 2032s off the well known auction site for next to nothing, but it was more to have them ready just in case.
Key fob batteries - Hamsafar
I have always bought such batteries from ebay as they are literally 1/10th or 1/20th of the price and usually a make like Energiser or Sanyo.
I have kept all my cars for 4 years and never had to change one.

I'm sure they'll all die tonight now, but I've never changed a key fob battery in my life either, even on wifey's cars which we've generally kept for 5-6 years.
Key fob batteries - perro
>>> but I've never changed a key fob battery in my life <<<

Me neither, my two are four years old but thanks to Lud I've dug em out (Panasonic CR 2016 3V) and I'm going to get some from Wilco's in the morn.
Key fob batteries - Stuartli
Bought my secondhand VW Bora in May 2003 and the key fob batteries are still going strong. Their true age is unknown.
Key fob batteries - Stuartli
>>I think a lot of keys use CR2032's>>

This is the type also used on many motherboards.

I bought a pack of eight of them from either Poundland or the 99p shop, mainly for my other half's Franklin portable word master. So far the replacement battery is still going strong more than a year later despite daily use.

The 99p/£1 packs of a number of types of batteries I buy from the same sources are Kodak, Hyundai (50 piece pack of watch and camera batteries), Daewoo or Panasonic branded.

Poundland is also my source for 10 Wilkinson Sword disposable razor blades for £1..:-) Last for ages.

Edited by Stuartli on 15/12/2009 at 21:17

Key fob batteries - primeradriver
CR2032 batteries are one of the most common in the world, and a commodity size.

I've used tens of ebay specials in motherboards and have not had any trouble.

Motherboard manufacturers use cheap Chinese batteries in the factories and these typically hold out for 3 or 4 years. What more do you want, when they cost £1 for 12?

Duracells? Tsk. Biggest con going. £3 for four penlights that are no better than Gold Peak are putting out for 12p a throw.
Key fob batteries - Doc lowe
If you go to www.watchbattery.co.uk ,it will tell you all about these batteries and why some cost a lot more than others(FAQ)-you can even buy from them.
Also have a look at www.gadgetngizmo.co.uk/3-volt-lithium-batteries-16...p has all the lithium 3 volt key fob batteries.

Key fob batteries - primeradriver

Hmmm. Gadget Gizmo are selling batteries with exactly the same markings as the £1 for 12 delivered from HK ones I've used for the last few years.

Naff all wrong with them.

Don't quote me on this but I believe they, like a lot of other batteries are manufactured by Gold Peak, one of the largest in the world and a company with their fingers in more OEM pies than any other.

Key fob batteries - oldgit

i have always bought my coin batteries or Silver Oxide batteries for watches from several sources i.e. www.photoglossy.com or www.mx2.com or www.7dayshop.com . All have given excellent service but are not necessarily the cheapest but sell well known makes and don't charge postage.