Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - henry k
No cheating. Guess before you read.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8411310.stm

Edited by henry k on 14/12/2009 at 11:56

Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Jcoventry
Sheffield is in the top ten - and no wonder. Every time I go driving, I see someone doing something wrong. Pulling out when they shouldn't, not giving way, doing a turn dangerously, talking on their mobile phone, tailgating, going through red lights, not indicating, overtaking on busy tight roads...The lot! And I don't even drive much - couple times a week. Sometimes the car doesn't get used for days.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Pugugly
Celtic fringes seem safe though !
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - NARU
Seems to be an overlap with the areas where the cash for crash scams seem prevalent!
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Devolution
I presume Swansea is on the safe list as it's all them careful employees driving to work at the DVLA everyday!
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Altea Ego
When Henry K posted the question, Slough was not the first name that crossed my mind. But as soon as the name was mentioned it all clicked in to place.

I have seen some trully dreadful driving in Slough. It has a bad mix of mimsing and timid driving with poor aggresive driving.

Edited by Altea Ego on 14/12/2009 at 13:23

Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Cliff Pope
"Scottish drivers made fewer claims despite hazardous road conditions"

Curious caption to a picture of two smashed up cars in a head on collision on a very unhazardous looking minor road.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - dieseldogg
In the absence of friendly bombs, are the locals now attempting to wreak it with cars?
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Alanovich
I'm not surprised it's Slough.

It is close to the erstwhile county of Middlesex, which is the area of Britian with the worst drivers of all, in my estimation, although my observation is only relevant to the section east of the Bucks border and west of Chiswick. Hayes, West Drayton, Yeading, up towards Harrow. You get the picture.

This thin slice of Outer London is without doubt populated by more clueless dolts than anywhere else. It is utterly impossible to predit what any other car is going to do, nowhere else do I see people indicating one way and going the other quite so frequently.

I dread any journey which takes me off the M4/A4 between the M25 and the Hammersmith fly-over. I prefer Naples.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - drbe
My own highly subjectic view - of course.

Looking at the lists of place names - I would prefer to live in one of the "ten most dangerous towns" rather than one on the "ten safest towns".
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Rattle
No wonder Bangor is in the list of safe towns, all you do in that place is go round in circles while the sat nav gets confused about its one way system. There are no actual cars to crash into.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - commerdriver
3 comments
Slough, no surprise, some of the most aggressive driving I have ever seen especially at the numerous placed where lanes close and you go from 3 to 2 or 2 to 1.

Young drivers, students have less accidents than non students, of course they do most of them do not take their cars to university, most universities, especially southern ones discourage it.

Swansea among the longest traffic lights anywhere, you spend more time stopped than travelling at busy times. Incidentally many DVLA staff do not drive to work, there are very good staff and public bus services.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - frazerjp
I do agree with Slough the dual carriageways going through it (A4 & A355) can be a nightmare to negotiate especially during peak times, with the outside lane traffic trying to turn right & others behind them wanting to keep ahead meaning they have pull infront of you on the inside lane to carry on, a nightmare that could be a sight for many sideways on collisions.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Bill Payer
I've driven around Cambridge a few times and I'm surprised that's one of the 4 safest English towns.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Alby Back
Clear, indisputable, evidence (once again) that Scots are on average more intelligent........

;-)
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - commerdriver
Clear indisputable evidence (once again) that Scots are on average more intelligent........

not that anybody ever doubted it :-)
Clear indisputable evidence (once again) that all the Scotts have been banned from driving as they are all drunken soaks.

You can prove anything with statistics.

Tho I am probably 95% correct.

Edited by Altea Ego on 14/12/2009 at 17:48

Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Alby Back
Um...that's "Scots" actually AE...but then I suppose you are to be excused given that you were geographically challenged as a child.

;-)

Nothing against the "Engllish" you understand !

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 14/12/2009 at 18:09

Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - stevied
Of course not!

Speaking of which, I believe that our fair town (the English one not the Scottish..) is at the junction of several of the most dangerous roads in Britain! Claim to fame of sorts..

Slough being in that list does not surprise me. It seems to be populated by drivers who think that indicating, stopping for red lights and indeed courtesy are an insult to their human rights.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - CGNorwich
Surely it proves East Anglia, with it three major towns and cities of Norwich, Ipswich and Cambridge included in the list is the safest area in England:-)
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - niva441
I've driven around Cambridge a few times and I'm surprised that's one of the 4
safest English towns.

So am I given you are attacked by cyclist coming from all directions. Or perhaps cyclists don't count.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Ben 10
"west of Chiswick. Hayes, West Drayton, Yeading, up towards Harrow. You get the picture"

Totally with you Alanovich. Having grown up in the Hayes area, worked in Southall and travelled extensively in overflow areas nearby I can but only concur. There is a common denominator here and with some cities listed in the top ten! ;-)
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - notathletic
o.k. that's the police faults in my town. What are the general public faults?
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - notathletic
Every time I go driving I see someone doing something wrong. Pulling out when they shouldn't not giving way doing a turn dangerously talking on their mobile phone tailgating going through red lights not indicating overtaking on busy tight roads...The lot!

That sounds like the police faults in my town. What are the general public like?
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - ForumNeedsModerating
No surprise at all that Belfast has the safest & most circumspect drivers.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Ben 10
"No surprise at all that Belfast has the safest & most circumspect drivers."

Might have something to do with the policing there. The residents probably can't get away with much.
And the weapons the PSNI carry.....

Edited by Altea Ego on 14/12/2009 at 18:24

Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - L'escargot
I'd like to see the full list, but I don't suppose I ever will.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - jc2
Normal driving within the M25 would see you done for "Dangerous Driving" in the rest of the country.But at least ,you can rely on a high standard of driving,just "forceful".

Edited by jc2 on 15/12/2009 at 09:08

Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - perro
Could it be I wonder - that drivers in Slough are from Berks?
Alas not
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Alanovich
Ah, that old chestnut. Well done, AE. I also will never accept Slough as being part of Berkshire. Norf of the rivva, innit.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - jbif
I'd like to see the full list but I don't suppose I ever will. >>

You can keep trying www.endsleigh.co.uk/media/news/index.html until they list this year's results.
Previous four years listed there:
www.endsleigh.co.uk/media/news/motorcities2008.html
www.endsleigh.co.uk/docs/Dec2007_MotorNational.pdf
www.endsleigh.co.uk/docs/TopTenCitiesReadMore.pdf
www.endsleigh.co.uk/media/news/motorcities2005.html

Edited by jbif on 15/12/2009 at 14:25

I'd like to see the full list but I don't suppose I ever will. >>

You can keep trying www.endsleigh.co.uk/media/news/index.html until they list this year's results.
Previous four years listed there:
www.endsleigh.co.uk/media/news/motorcities2008.html
www.endsleigh.co.uk/docs/Dec2007_MotorNational.pdf
www.endsleigh.co.uk/docs/TopTenCitiesReadMore.pdf
www.endsleigh.co.uk/media/news/motorcities2005.html

..and I was about to say 'Where's jbif when you need him!'

You shall go to the ball L'escargot!

No town/city I've ever lived in even got a mention.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Lud
Slinking around the muddy lanes of the lesser-known shires then gastropod?

Leave your boots outside please, and comb the straws out of your hair before coming in the sitting room.

:o}
Slinking around .........

L'escargot by name but not by nature!
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Roly93
A dodgey subject I know, but Slough is probably the most multicultural town in the UK. You see may cars from Eastern Europe there all of the time, as well as many people driving old bangers who have only been in the UK for a few weeks, and have no experience of driving in UK traffic especially in a busy place like the thames Valley.

Thee are probably the main reasons for the high accident rate,as otherwise Slough isn't a particularly complex place to drive around.
Insurer names ?? as most motoring dangerous town. - Lud
Wasn't Slough one of the places where those serial crashers were operating, the ones who provoke traffic shunts and then defraud the victims and their insurers with allegations of whiplash and so on?
I must say I love Slough - it's the home of my biggest clients. Other than that though, I think Betjeman had the best idea.