00 1.3 Should I change the cambelt? - martinalexander
I've bought a 2000 Suzuki Jimny with less than 40,000 miles on the clock. The service book says the cambelt should be changed at 60,000 miles. I have very little mechanical knowledge but constantly read that if the cambelt breaks - that's very, very bad.
I can't see any record of it having being changed in the past and wonder is the wear of the cambelt solely related to mileage? That is, is the age of the belt also a factor? Should I consider having it changed soon or am I being over cautious?
Is there a way of telling if a cambelt needs changing other than the mileage indicator?

Thank you.
Do I need to change the cambelt? - martinalexander
bump

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/12/2009 at 10:30

Do I need to change the cambelt? - 1066
if it was me i'd change the cambelt asap.
Do I need to change the cambelt? - L'escargot
I would have expected the service book to specify an age as well as a mileage. My Focus says 100,000 miles or 10 years whichever is the sooner. If yours is 10 years old then it's probably ready for a change. Don't be influenced by the wet blankets who will tell you that 60,000 miles is far too long ~ Suzuki will have done extensive durability testing and they are the definitive authority as to when the belt needs changing.
00 1.3 Should I change the cambelt? - martinalexander
Thanks all - I think I'll get it changed as soon as possible.