98 1.9 Primer pump not getting fuel through - spotop
First of all Hello this is my first post.
I changed the fuel filter and then spent about 3hrs pumping the primer. with no joy. I can hear air going through the the system but no diesel. I removed the filter housing cap to see if any fuel was getting through. But only air. There is a quarter of a tank in. Any ideas could it be the pump?
Cheers. kevin
98 1.9 Primer pump not getting fuel through - Peter.N.
Is the pump incorporated in the filter or is it the rubber bulb type?
It's the rubber ball type. Am I missing anymore info that you could do with? I've tried turning it over to see if that would pull any through but still no joy either. Nice one.
Either the primer bulb non return valve has failed or you have a blockage in the system. If the system is blocked I would have thought that the bulb would struggle and then stay deflated, if it doesnt either the valve has failed or you have a massive airleak into the fuel line somewhere. Try blowing down the pipe and see if you can hear bubbles in the tank, if its easy to blow through but no bubbles, you have a leak. I think there is a metal to rubber connection on the bulkhead just above where the pedals are, or at least there is on the XM, that is quite liable to fail, the rubber perishes. If you can hear bubles it will be the primer bulb that is at fault.
98 1.9 Primer pump not getting fuel through - piston power
Fill the filter with fresh diesel and start up when started don't rev it let it idle might be a bit lumpy but should pull through ok, you may need to crack off injectors when running just to bleed.
Nice one I'll try both of them in the morning. If either one works I'll buy you a drink. The non-return valve sounds possible because when I pump it you can hear it coming back. I just thought it might be because I'm only pumping air.

Edited by spotop on 10/12/2009 at 19:07

Cheers Pete and BigTee. I have tried filling the filter with diesel and I have changed the primer pump. The old one was pink fluffy dice. The non-return value near enough fell out when I took it off. I also blew down the fuel pipe before replacing the pump and bubbles came through nice and easily. I have changed the bulb for one I got from Car Spares it seems to be a generic one. But I still have no fuel coming from the tank. Do I have to pump it for hours or is it likely to be something else?
Cheers for you help. Esp since I have a Jeremy Clarkson as an assistant who just wants to use a hammer.

{Who's not read or forgotten the no swearing policy then?}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/12/2009 at 00:26

There are only three options that I can think of, either the new primer is faulty or you have fitted it the wrong way round, the fuel pipe is blocked, although if you can hear bubbles in the tank that ought to rule that out, or there is air getting in somewhere. That' four isnt it? I would suggest that you take the primer off, connect a short section of pipe to the inlet, stick it in a jar of diesel and pump - just to make sure it works. The fuel should pump up from the tank in less than a minute.

Edited by Peter.N. on 14/12/2009 at 14:13

98 1.9 Primer pump not getting fuel through - 659FBE
If your new primer pump is working and is fitted the right way round, check the strainer in the tank.

98 1.9 Primer pump not getting fuel through - topbloke
i had a similar problem a few weeks ago when the engine was running the bulb collappsed and starved the pump of fuel, took the bulb apart checked it refitted it, still same, finally took the pump out of the tank and found the gauze totally blocked, cleaned and reffited, if you want to check the bulb, connect it to a different supply of fuel (fuel can) if it lifts it okay then you are looking at a restriction in the tank or pipe,regards TB
Cheers for your help guys. I'll try these ideas when I can get back to the car. Am I right in thinking that I can get to the gauze that TB is on about from under the back seats? Is it the fuel pick up unit in the Haynes manual? I apologise for these noobie questions. But I am a sparky not a mechanic. And my Clarkson although highly educated and very clever wouldn't know a sub-frame from a sub-post office.
Thanks again for your patience.
I believe so, you certainly can on the XM which is from the same stable. I you are able to blow bubbles through the fuel that would seem to indicate that it is clear - bu not necessaraly.
Ok. I got the primer pump sorted. It works but now there is a lot of air coming through when I pump it. It's nearly made me want to get the hammer out. Could it be coming from the fuel filter housing? I made a sort of gasket ring with silicon and placed it in once it went off but I don't know if that would work. I also had a look under the back seat found where I think it is or should be but it just looked blanked off. Cheers for your help. But I think it's time to bite the bullet and get someone who at least has an idea what to do. I have air coming in from somewhere but I just don't know. Any ideas would be helpful.
Cheers again.
It's cold and my Clarkson said I can't leave or eat until I fix it.
98 1.9 Primer pump not getting fuel through - gordonbennet
I had similar problem to yours years ago, bought a non genuine fuel filter and spent ages trying to get the thing to prime up, eventually i removed the filetr and closely examined the thing...the stamping was slightly out of shape so couldn't get an airtight seal at the gasket.

Genuine filters or very good quality copy's ever since.

sorry can't correct typo's cursor no use on the right hand side of page top 20 or lines for some reason...this site only.
Poor sealing around the filter would certainly allow air into the system, did the filter come with new seals? if so, did you take all the old ones out first?
The filter had the rubber ring that sits on the filter itself but there wasn't anything on the filter housing. I did seem to think there should be some sort of gasket around it. That's why I made the one with silicon. I'm going to have a try again in the morning and I'll report what happens. Fingers crossed.
I don't know what sort of filter you have, is it the black plastic one with four screws on the top?
Peter.N you have been brilliant. Cheers for your help. It's done now. The fuel is coming through good and proper. The seal with to the primer pump just wasn't good enough. I tried everything I even shouted at it at one point. Still nothing. But I got a big rugby playing friend to do have ago. And it's all good. Apart from it not wanting to start unless we use the easy start in a can thing that you spray into the air filter. So I'm off to search the forums and see what I can find out. Cheers for all your help. And have a good Christmas and new year.
98 1.9 Primer pump not getting fuel through - jc2
On my diesel(not a peugeot)I always remove the whole filter assy. when changing the element-at least you can see that all the seals are in correctly.
That would turn a 2 minute job into something a lot more. The problem we had was the Old primer pump was dead and after the autopsy on it the non-return valve was just floating around inside. And when I had changed it I didn't do a good enough seal. Just get this thing started and then I can relax.