Head rest mounted DVD players - DuncanSuperb
Please forgive if this has been discussed at length before (i have searched but no recent threads found)

We are thinking of getting some in-car dvd players for the children as it looks like we'll be doing a number of family roadtrips in 2010.

I was wondering what sort of experience any of you family-burdened BRers have had.

There seems to be some quite good deals around at the mo with dual screen models for around GBP100.

One question is how does the use of these things effect driver (and passenger) safety and what about the effect on travel-sick prone kids. (sorry - that'll be 2 questions then)

Any other thoughts or considerations would be appreciated.

Duncan.

Edited by Pugugly on 09/12/2009 at 11:59

head rest mounted DVD players - idle_chatterer
I'd guess my overall advice would be 'don't pay too much' for them.

We bought some (at the time) reasonably expensive ones which can play individually or be linked, they have infrared headphones and remote controls, picture is excellent (I forget how big they are) and they keep the kids happy for hours. Don't disturb the driver and we can play our MP3 or listen to the radio. Having side blinds can be useful too.

Our kids don't seem to get travel sick when using them, I suspect this is because their heads are looking up/forwards, I find that when they use their DSs or read they complain of feeling travel sick - possibly because they're looking down all the time ?

On the down side, both players had to be returned for repair in the first year due to failing mechanisms, I think that we treat such items with care but you have to remember that a DVD player isn't fond of being vibrated as is unavoidable in the car. Hence my advice not to pay too much for them, they may be short-lived.

To be honest, we got the kids some iPod Nano's (spending gift tokens) and we put audio books on them, either they listen individually or I plug one into my aux port. We drove all the way home from holiday in the summer and sat on the drive as a family listening to the last chapter of 'Scribbleboy' for 10 minute, this seems so much more civilised somehow and we've used the DVD players precisely twice in 2009 as a result.

Edited by idle_chatterer on 09/12/2009 at 12:04

head rest mounted DVD players - Big Bad Dave
We use ours a lot, having 2 young kids and spending every summer weekend out of the city. It runs through the car sound system (or head phones of course) so you can control volume but also has a remote for the player functions.

The kids can't stay awake for a full movie but I enjoy listening to them anyway. Must have heard Shrek about 30 times.

I can't see how safety can be an issue, it's no more distracting than an ipod or the radio and it stops the kids from squabbling.

Guaranteed peace and quiet...

Edited by Big Bad Dave on 09/12/2009 at 12:08

head rest mounted DVD players - DuncanSuperb
Useful advice from both - thanks.

I particularly like the bit that said "Guaranteed peace and quiet..."

head rest mounted DVD players - JohnM{P}
Some time ago, the German ADAC crash tested a car with in-car dvd monitors attached/strapped to the headrests. The screens rotated over the headrests in the impact and clouted heavily the driver/passenger's heads, probably causing mre than a stiff headache. There was no safety issue to rear passengers (provided they were properly belted in).
I've tried to find the video on the ADAC site, but at the moment the link incorrectly points to a satnav test...
head rest mounted DVD players - injection doc
My personal view is they must be one of the most dangerous objects you could strap to a head rest for a child to head butt in the event of an accident!
We all hope an accident will never happen but after my experince of a very high speed accident which you think will never happen to you I was amazed at the damage to the inside of the car from light weight objects & how your body get thrown around. Don't ever asume your seat belt will keep you in your place becuse when the seat shears out the floor its horrendous!

www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23402425-in-ca...o
head rest mounted DVD players - Altea Ego
When i crashed, my legs flailed around and broke the centre console and ripped out the gear lever.
head rest mounted DVD players - legacylad
Have 'I Spy' books gone out of fashion? Lot cheaper.
head rest mounted DVD players - Paul G1pdc
i think eye spy books where a ladybird publication ie woolies own brand....
car dvd players.
we bought ours from argos for little over £120 for a pair of 7" screens with a seperate dvd player, that can play 2 dvds at the same time, ie the children 7 and 3 can watch different programs. they come with 2x remote controls (that we keep ocntrol off)
there great....when we go on holiday...east oxfordshire to west Devon and usually get stuff in traffic jams around Bristol.....
what we try to do is have the radio on for the first part of the trip, then when the children are desperate for a loo stop we connect up the tellies. Then watching the telly is fresh and something different, rather than getting back into a car and watching it again....
remember to hide the tellys if you stop or cover them with something after all you don't want smashed windows when your going on holiday....
Had our dvd player for 3 years now, and its used about 5 times a year...just on the long trips so its a treat, after all we didnn't want them to get into the habbit of watching telly whilst on a 10min car journey...
you might need to buy and extra power point, halfords, argos, etc etc sell these for about £10 or under. (ie satnav and tellys both require 12volts.)
good luck....
Paul.
(oh our tellies are held on with velco around the headrest and a loop of cable that goes over the headrest first.)
bob the builder and fireman sam.....oh dear.......can we fix it........
its better then winging children for hours on end mind you....
head rest mounted DVD players - Altea Ego
"I Spy" books have been published by various publishers over their life, since 1991 they have been owned by Michelin publications.

Some of the subjects / print runs are very highly valued and collected.
head rest mounted DVD players - maz64
Have 'I Spy' books gone out of fashion? Lot cheaper.

Funnily enough, they're a current HJ news story:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=35609
Head rest mounted DVD players - R75
Best invention for the car, since the car!!!! Hours of peace and quiet. Well, as long as you don't mind listening to the films! I now know all the words to Mama Mia, never actually watched the film, but know the words!!!

As for safety, at least they are strapped to the headrest, there is far more of danger floating around the car that is not strapped in, such as DS lites (I bet they are not lite in an accident) and drinks bottles etc!!!

We are on our 2nd set as the first went faulty after a couple of months, but this one has lasted about 3 years so far, just a cheapy one, cost less then £100 3 years ago, no need to spend a fortune on them!!
Head rest mounted DVD players - Alex Butler

In case anyone else is interested in this topic. The sense in such devices is not special, but fashion is fashion. Today, the situation regarding portable workers has changed dramatically. Already, there are no thirsty people to buy these devices. Still would! For the price for which portable DVDs are sold in a car for watching movies, you can purchase special built-in devices. For mobility, many laptops get purchased, which for the last 7 years have not only been very transformed for the better but have become much cheaper. In connection with this: the emerging question: so why do we need portable DVDs and why they have not yet disappeared from the market? If, however, you are interested in this topic and want to know more, you can ask for help on this site (Edit - No, you can't.) However, my opinion remains unchanged that they are harmful. Not even stubborn, but simply distracting the driver. And at this point, you may need your reaction. Although even if you look in the stationary mode, I think it's better to view the environment in the window by which you will pass. Thank you for attention

Edited by Avant on 04/04/2018 at 16:06

Head rest mounted DVD players - Manatee

Well that one's failed the Turing Test.

Head rest mounted DVD players - skidpan

Today, the situation regarding portable workers has changed dramatically. Already, there are no thirsty people to buy these devices

What the fek is the OP taking?

Head rest mounted DVD players - Andrew-T

What the fek is the OP taking?

Maybe it's an auto-generated message from some clever software?

Head rest mounted DVD players - Manatee

As I suggested, perhaps a bit too obliquely.

Head rest mounted DVD players - Alex Butler

No, people. I am not a program. But if you find it right to edit it's your decision. I was just looking for info about the device for cars and came across your article. Sorry