A14 - What are they putting in now? - graham sherlock
During a drive to Bury St Edmunds on the A14, I've noticed some digging up and laying of some purple pipes on the embankment/road side, that re-surface every so often (probably inspection holes or somesuch), but these seem to have been installed from the M6 junction in recent months. Anybody know what they're for, as I'm curious.
A14 - What are they putting in now? - Altea Ego
Overhead information signs and gantries to follow.
A14 - What are they putting in now? - John F
Overhead information signs and gantries to follow.

To display the following.........'Major congestion ahead between junctions ..... and .....'

Each morning someone in the control room switches on a lottery ball machine and inserts the first two numbers that roll out.. ;-)
A14 - What are they putting in now? - Old Navy
Depending on the diameter of the pipes, I have seen pipes of that colour used to run cables through. Cameras or lights in the future?

Edited by Old Navy on 07/12/2009 at 16:23

A14 - What are they putting in now? - christo
Altea Ego is correct, the cables and earthworks are indeed for overhead gantriies and advance information signs.....

A couple of weeks ago they were at Bury St Edmunds heading east towards the Rookery Crossroads interchange at Rougham.
A14 - What are they putting in now? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Can confirm that. M1 past Sheffield had them ~ 2 years ago during the widening work and then the gantries appeared.
A14 - What are they putting in now? - Harleyman
Here's a list of colour codes for ducting, so as you all know what's what in future....

Blue = Water
Red = Electricity (normally high voltage over 1000V, black is used below this)
Yellow = Gas
Grey = BT/telecomms
Green = Cable TV/Fibre Optics
Orange = Railtrack - signalling
Purple = Motorway - usually lighting cables
A14 - What are they putting in now? - Dave_TD
Purple = Motorway - usually lighting cables

and SPECS camera cables...
A14 - What are they putting in now? - Waino
Pity they aren't installing a wonderful new alarm system to wake up the lorry drivers who keep nodding off and causing hold ups on the A14 every couple of days :-(
A14 - What are they putting in now? - graham sherlock
Tnaks for the info. That'll be another goverment fund-raising scheme then!

Cynical, Moi!
A14 - What are they putting in now? - stevied
My favourite overhead sign (apart from "Congestion Ahead" when it cleared aeons ago but everyone brakes anyway, you know, just in case!) is "M6 Toll Clear". No mention of the pov's M6, but you think "mmmm the toll is clear, so the poor man's M6 must be very busy".

Fantastic. Works every time on me. : )
A14 - What are they putting in now? - Dave_TD
If it says "M6 Toll Clear" and nothing else, you can surmise the plebs' M6 will also be reasonably free-flowing... If there are any hold-ups they are quick to announce them on the matrix signs.

I guess the M6 Toll operators must have had a clause in their contract requiring the adverts on the overhead gantries, to try and gain "best value" from their investment ;-)

I've only been on the thing once, and that was when my passenger was paying.