02 1600 issues with water ingress/mould soft top - racingkarts
Right, 02 plate Mx5 soft-top ( vinyl )

I've been left the car for 2 weeks by a friend - she's gone on holiday and left me to repair it !!!

So far, ive unblocked the rear drain pipes on BOTH sides, after water was found in the front drivers footwell, and behind both seats. Also the "shelf" carpet was wet at the corners by the seatbelt posts

I've also unblocked the sills on both sides, and flushed them out well, by removing the sill plates, and flowing approx 10L of hot soapy water through the holes. I still need to wash the inside of the front wings - I was planning on using a pressure washer through the gap when the door is open.....I've also wired the channels down the door closings, and cleaned all the seals round the hood+doors.

There is a small tear in the side of the vinyl roof, approx 5mm long - WILL a inner tube repair patch suffice for the time being - until a proffesional repair is carried out ??? it'd be on the inside, a layer of glue on the roof, let it dry, another layer on the patch, before putting it on, and clamping it until it dries.....It wont be a permanent repair.

Its clearly been damp inside this car for some time, as white round patches have formed in a few areas of the rear deck carpet, and the roof has white mildew forming on it. I'll be looking to remove this during the drying of the carpets. a few points i'd like advice on

Mould removal : Will miltion steralising soloution work well ?? i was thinking of spraying it on the inside of the roof, leaving for 30mins, quick scrub, and a wipe off - then a quick spray of auto-gylm vinyl care. I'll be using that on the outside too.

Carpet drying : I presume i'd have to cut the carpet at the bulkhead in order to remove it???......I was thinking id be better to remove the seats, centre console, seatbelts etc, lift the carpet UP towards the roof, and stick a couple of fan heaters in it for a day or two....I'll be treating the carpets with milton, hovering them with a aquavac, prior to drying.

Anything i missed ????

Thanks in advance,
02 1600 issues with water ingress/mould soft top - piston power
I hope your friend brings you back a nice big prezzie from her holidays after all this work been done!

Looks like your on top of it years back my mate had a xr3i convertible that had problems with damp the roof never fitted quite right wind water blown in got damp especially when never parked in a garage.
02 1600 issues with water ingress/mould soft top - Victorbox
I've also unblocked the sills on both sides and flushed them out well by removing
the sill plates and flowing approx 10L of hot soapy water through the holes.

I hope you'll be following up the soap treatment through the sills with a few litres of rustproofing wax plus same treatment on inner wings if you are descaling these too. I've heard of people putting old engine oil into the tops of sills but never soapy water. I hope the soap wasn't Fairy Liquid or similar - full of salt.

Edited by Victorbox on 07/12/2009 at 16:15

02 1600 issues with water ingress/mould soft top - k13 wjd
nope on the fairy, TFR - and the waxoil stayed where it was......so all good on that front.
02 1600 issues with water ingress/mould soft top - Dynamic Dave
k13 wjd, are you the same person as racingkarts, or just answering on their behalf?
02 1600 issues with water ingress/mould soft top - k13 wjd
Just realised i have 2 active accounts !!! thanks for that, i'll contact admin and have one removed.

02 1600 issues with water ingress/mould soft top - mjm
Mazda used to do a repair kit for vynl hoods. It depends upon where the split is. If it's in a creased area where the hood folds then I'd say that nothing would repair it other than a large patch to go well past the crease area.

I tried mending a few in my son's MX5 but came to the conclusion that the hood had had it. We fitted a new mohair hood in the end.