Mobile phone use in car - T Lucas
What are the legals to using your mobile in the car with either handsfree,bluetooth etc?
Mobile phone use in car - Pugugly
www.roadsafetyni.gov.uk/index/faqs/faqs-mobilephon...m

Seems to answer most questions
Mobile phone use in car - Stuartli
Even using a hands-free unit means that full concentration cannot be geared to your driving.
Mobile phone use in car - Falkirk Bairn
Even using a hands-free unit means that full concentration cannot be geared to your driving.

Listening to music, holding a conversation, carrying disruptive children/adults...............
lots of things can distract drivers - not just telephone calls
Mobile phone use in car - David Horn
I use my phone via bluetooth hands free quite a lot. However, if I'm a bit tired I don't use it at all. Quite a scary experience having a 20 minute phone conversation and not remembering any of the journey while I was on the phone.

I have long felt that driving when tired is far more likely to cause accidents than using a phone. Combine the two, however...
Mobile phone use in car - Stuartli
>>Listening to music, holding a conversation, carrying disruptive children/adults...............
lots of things can distract drivers - not just telephone calls>>

No, sorry, I don't agree that listening to music or holding a normal conversation with a passenger has anywhere near the same distraction level as having a hands-free or mobile conversation - in the case of disruptive children or similar such as a heated argument, yes.
Mobile phone use in car - fredthefifth
Tend to agree. In *normal* conversation there will generally be an awareness of how hard the driver is having to work and a tendency to back off.

In conversation with a remote third party they will have no idea. But I'm sure this has all been said before.

FTF
Mobile phone use in car - movilogo
It has been discussed to death here that listening to music etc. is not same as conversation over phone just because CD player will not counter re-act to your behaviour.

Talking with close family members [spouse/parent etc.] is less distractive than talking over office related matters.

Edited by movilogo on 06/12/2009 at 14:03

Mobile phone use in car - Pugugly
I've seen a couple of CDs describe a wonderful arc as they fly out of the driver's window :-)