06 1.8 Acceleration reduced warning then car won't - mcpee
Hi all - can someone help???

Starting my 56 reg Ford Focus Diesel Sport on Thursday, and without it warming up, I immediately turned hard right onto our road to drive to work. The lights were on, the windscreen wipers, heater and fan were all on and I was the only person in the car.

Immediately a red light came on, on the speedometer side of the dashboard, right next to the computer screen. At the same time a message appeared - " Acceleration reduced"

I slowed down and stopped but did not turn off the engine, for fear of setting off the immobiliser. Continuing to work, the only thing noticeable with the car was that there was a lag in acceleration after each gear change.

After arriving at work, about 15 minutes driving, I parked the car, turned off the engine and restarted it. It worked straightaway and no warning lights came on. I can only surmise that this was because the car had warmed up.

After work, about 10 hours later, I returned to the car and when I turned the key I had no reaction from the ignition, all the lights on the dashboard lit up, a red light at the top of the dash started flashing and the computer screen said:

"Steering Assist Failure"

followed by:

"Engine Systems Fault"

That was it - I could not start the car, although I could sit and listen to the radio or even have the fan switched on, so I presume it was the immobiliser kicking in.

The car seemed fine during the week when it was cold outside, even freezing, it was only when the car had sat in the damp and rain over Wednesday/ Thursday night that it had a problem.

It seems to happen when I am turning hard right, although that could just be a coincidence, and the engine is cold and it has been damp over night.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mcpee

Edited by rtj70 on 05/12/2009 at 19:19

06 1.8 Acceleration reduced warning then car won't - Peter D
So what did you do, tow it or did the breakdown services fix the problem. This could be a battery fault and the low voltage will trigger the Power Steering message. Regards Peter
06 1.8 Acceleration reduced warning then car won't - mcpee
It was towed to a garage for them to have a look at. Would a low voltage cause the problems mentioned - i.e. slow acceleration, non start of car, immobiliser kicking in.

I have asked on the forum so that I can mention anything to the garage.

Cheers for the reply.

Mcpee
06 1.8 Acceleration reduced and not start - UPDATE - mcpee
Having got the car back it started raining again today.

When I went to drive away from work the car wouldn't start, again all the instrument lights came on and the same problems occurred as mentioned in the first post.

I managed to get the engine to start once and it just idled - even when I pressed the accelerator right to the floor - no change in engine revs - just idling.

After that it would not start at all and has now been towed to the garage again!

Please - has anyone got any ideas or heard of similar - could it be an alternator / battery problem, or a need for a software update?

Funny that it only happens when it's wet - although apparently the garage tested and looked for any leaks and said all the engine compartments were dry.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

Mcpee

06 1.8 Acceleration reduced and not start - UPDATE - tonyb12323
Hi,

I had a similar problem with my 1.6 zetec 55 plate focus, no warning just suddenly got the same error message as you. Had the garage take a look and they eventually found water getting into the wiring loom, after re bonding the wiring etc everything ran a treat (well until the next problem which occurred but thats another story!!!!!) hope this helps you out.
06 1.8 Acceleration reduced and not start - UPDATE - mcpee
The problem could be....

The Cluster!

We are waiting to see if that was the problem.

I will keep the forum posted as we are now becoming embroiled in getting the dealer we bought the car from to pay for the work, as it is within 6 months of purchase.

Consumer rights as they are that means that, whether the warranty has expired or not the dealership are responsible for either fixing, replacing or refunding the car..... let the fight begin....
06 1.8 Acceleration reduced and not start - UPDATE - juju2005
Mcpee, did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? I have the same issue! Ford focus 1.8tdci 2005. Engine failure light after turning hard right with total loss in acceleration.

On cold mornings it also misfires when pulling away.

Please help!!