Chaos for 7 months in Weybridge !! - wotspur

Appparantly it has been decided to shut the 2.5 mile stretch of road "Seven Hills Road", a major link form Walton on Thames and Hersham to the A3 and thus M25, in both directions for "UPTO 7 MONTHS" whilst gas works are carried out.

Traffic lights have been ruled out and with few DIVERSION routes it will be chaotic for 7 months.

They intend to start this early Jan !! that makes sense- start at 9 finish at 4 when it gets dark ! why not do it in May start at 7 finish at 8, or work throughout the night, or have 200 people working on it and do it in 3-4 months !!
Chaos for 7 months in Weybridge !! - bell boy
try driving up and down the m1 farm track
Chaos for 7 months in Weybridge !! - henry k
Thanks for the warning. I will pass it on to my daughter.l
Chaos for 7 months in Weybridge !! - L'escargot
........... or work throughout the night or have 200 people working on
it and do it in 3-4 months !!

The cost, and trying to get people to work nights are the reasons why not. Would you work nights?

Edited by L'escargot on 03/12/2009 at 21:24

Chaos for 7 months in Weybridge !! - jbif
The cost, and trying to get people to work nights are the reasons why not. Would you work nights? >>

L'escargot: In addition to some captains of industry, plus some influential billionaire foreign investors (oligarchs from Russia), and "millionaire bonus" bankers who live in the vicinity, there are some powerful lawyers and QCs who use the road daily. You can bet they can pay the "night working overtime rates" to get the work done quicker. They can also make their voices heard, and as my link below shows, they got results!

... decided to shut the 2.5 mile stretch of road "Seven Hills Road" >>

discussed here previously:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=80...0

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the public meeting at the Cobham Hilton, but apparently some good news here:
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/8382564.stm
A seven-month road closure on a major commuter route in Surrey has been cut to 12 weeks after an outcry by residents and businesses.

Edited by jbif on 03/12/2009 at 21:26

Chaos for 7 months in Weybridge !! - wotspur
Thanks JBIF for previous limk, I did go back a few pages but not far enough.

re the cut from 7 months to 12 weeks -is this one of those Compromises from the gas company- " I know what, lets say this job will take 7 months, locals will want it done quicker, we after discussion say 12 weeks Locals - happy.

Re working 24 hrs, there are large sections that don't have local residents and so dig up the whole lenght of the road - work during daylight hours near the homes and night time where there are fewer or no homes - simple.

Re would I work at nights, if the monies were right for 12 weeks work - when scheduled for 28 weeks - rationally that means they can earn 2.333 times as much per hour for working nights -at no extra costs - I'm sure there would be many takers
Chaos for 7 months in Weybridge !! - bell boy
but how can you lean on your shovel if you cant see it
re the cut from 7 months to 12 weeks -is this one of those Compromises from the gas company- >>

see the full story at esherwalton.com/news.html - extracts below:

Scotia Gas Networks statement - latest - November 27th 2009

Why has the closure now been reduced to 12 weeks rather than the original stated duration?

Planning for this project has been taking place for many months and has happened in consultation with Surrey County Council. Following feedback from local residents and road users, we went back and looked at our planned work in the context of our wider work programme to see if there was a way to minimise overall disruption at Seven Hills Road. This further review of the project in conjunction with the local authority resulted in us being able to draft in extra resources and plan a different way of working so that the closure itself will now last for 12 weeks.

Will extended hours be worked?

Yes - we will be working seven days a week and extended hours where safe and possible to do so. We will make every effort to complete the project and reopen Seven Hills Road as soon as we can within the 12 week timescale.

Why can't work take place 24 hours a day?

Seven Hills Road and the surrounding area contain a number of homes and other properties, including a hotel. Our work will involve activities that cannot reasonably be expected to be carried at night due to their impact on local residents at this time.

Will the water or electricity companies be along next week, or sometime soon and dig up the road again?

No - we have been liaising with Surrey County Council, whose responsibility it is to ensure coordination of utility works. We have been told that neither water nor electricity companies have any impending or future works they need to carry out in Seven Hills Road.