Did a good deed tonight I think! - Blue {P}
I was driving along Burdon Lane earlier tonight (for the one or two that know it it's an unmarked and unlit NSL country road in an urban area, basically a death trap) and saw what I thought was two foxes in front of me but I quickly realised that they weren't darting into the bushes like they normally would.

I soon realised they were actually two Yorkshire Terriers, no collars, clearly abandoned alone in the cold. Stuck the hazards on and rang my brother who fetched the van up, I managed to catch one that was quite scared (she cowered when I got near) and we duly loaded her in the back, the other one however started to cause traffic chaos. With my car blocking one part of the road for safety other motorists all slowed to a crawl to make sure they didn't hit us or the dog.

Gave the Police a ring as I could see the situation wasn't the best one to be in and lo and behold, they actually attended, must have been a quiet night as at the peak they had 4 or 5 Police cars blocking off the road whilst chasing the one that got away! I would have left sooner except at one point the snappy one took residence under my warm engine block! :-)

Anyway, in the end my brother took the one that we caught home and about an hour later a pet taxi turned up to take her to the kennels after stopping to catch the one that was still on the loose.

Unfortunately one other dog had already been mown down by a car, but at least we saved the other two and possibly prevented a fatal RTC (when cars swerve on that road it often ends up with a trip to the undertakers).

Result! :-)
Did a good deed tonight I think! - Pugugly
At least you cared enough to stop. I always have a lead in the car just in case. Any idea who they belonged to yet ? I hate the thought of them being abandoned. I'm a dog softy and mine saw me through some very dark times.
The woman from the kennels suggested that as it was 3 females, they had probably been used for breeding and then dumped once they had finished with them. Disgusting really, and yeah, I'm a bit of a dog softy too, they're so much more pleasant than cats.

Our family pooch even stops for a hug sometimes when we have him out on walks. :-)
Did a good deed tonight I think! - pda
From a cat lover:)
I love dogs too and it warmed the cockles of my heart reading this post Blue, over my first cup of coffee this morning!

Pat
Did a good deed tonight I think! - DP
Same here. Big dog softy! I rescued an emaciated, fleabitten Yorkie pup some years ago from a drunken moron in a petrol station threatening to drown it if someone didn't take it. After some ads in the local shops and the vet scanned him for a microchip (there wasn't one), we kept him. Took a couple of months for the poor little mite to stop peeing in terror when anyone's feet got within six inches of him, but he got there and became a lovely, affectionate family pet, and lived into his teens.

Studies have shown dogs have the same levels of intellect and sentience as an average 2 year old child, and anyone who's ever spent any time around them knows they experience emotions (happiness, sadness, fear, even guilt). How anyone can treat them in this way staggers me.

Nice one, Blue. It does warm the heart to read stories like this.

Edited by DP on 27/11/2009 at 09:41

Did a good deed tonight I think! - Altea Ego
The 2 year old child thing is spot on. Dont forget they also sulk, manipulate, forgive, and sometimes throw tantrums (hauling a dog out of Pets smart by its lead is EXACTLY the same as dragging a stroppy two year old away from the toy counter at woolies)

Thats why man has kept and trained dogs since the two first met as neanderthol and wolf
With our dog (a border collie/labrador cross), on returning to the house, you can tell if he's done something he shouldn't long before you find it, just by his reaction when you walk into the house. Normally we're greeted by a wagging tail and a bounce. If instead of this he's skulking around, tail between his legs, and (funniest of all) absolutely refusing to make eye contact, you know you're going to find something amiss somewhere in the house.

They are also the only creature I can think of that will willingly put itself in mortal danger to protect its owners from harm. Since we had kids, our dog is fiercely protective of the house, and also very wary of strangers (and particularly strange dogs) when out and about with the littl'uns. There is probably some pack animal instinct behind this behaviour rather than any outright intelligence, but it is plain to see.

They are truly remarkable creatures. I adore them.
Motoring link

Well I adore my dog so much I have bought a new wagon to accomodate the dogs needs, rather than the rather spiffy MX5 I saw for the same money.

I even took the dog on car choosing expeditions. The renault dealer was rather alarmed to have a lab bounding in and out of the back of his showroom Goona.
Did a good deed tonight I think! - Phil F.
Hi Blue,
Very well done!
Cant let you get away with "much more pleasant than cats though".Not true in my experience of both.Had two for eighteen years and miss them dearly....aaaah.
Actually,motoring linked,they used to get used to the engine tone of my cars at the time,and would rush down the drive to meet me.
Phil.
Did a good deed tonight I think! - Alanovich
My dog does that too, Phil. She gets used to a new car's engine note in about 2 days.

I can't imagine living without a dog. The best security device money can buy.
Did a good deed tonight I think! - oldnotbold
SWMBO's Border Terrorist loves the car so much she'll jump in if you leave the door open when fetching shopping from the car. Found her in the car one day having hopped in without being noticed on a very sunny day, luckily with no ill effects.

My Doberman also likes travelling, but only gets in when told.
Did a good deed tonight I think! - maz64
I can't imagine living without a dog. The best security device money can buy.

The cost of a security device as effective as our cavalier king charles would be about 10p, not the £400+ we paid for him :-)
Yes, our dog recognises a PD diesel and a Volvo 5 pot petrol pulling onto the drive ;-)
Did a good deed tonight I think! - Phil F.
Reminds me of the wonderfull Maestro diesel van I had once,start it up first thing and it woke up cats,dogs,birds...fish...neighbours,for miles around.
Did a good deed tonight I think! - apm
My cat was able to tell my Midget from housemate's Moggy minor and Frogeye, despite same engine. Being a siamese she did display dog-like characteristics.

Anyone else think of a fish called wanda when presented with 3 yorkies?
Did a good deed tonight I think! - bathtub tom
We had a springer that could recognise the sound of whatever car we had at the time from hundreds of yards away.

That's when she'd get off the settee she wasn't allowed on, so baby sitters reliably informed us.
Did a good deed tonight I think! - Big Bad Dave
I just couldn't have a warm-bloodied mammal in my house or pooping in my garden.

I get all I need from my fish - comfort, support, love and understanding etc. In the unlikely event that an intruder got past the steel shutters, solid steel door, alarms, panic buttons, cameras and security guys, I have a rather aggressive bottom feeder - who is now about 23 cm long and just itching to kick the crap out of someone.
I just couldn't have a warm-bloodied mammal in my house or pooping in my garden.

still not over the first wife then Dave?

Did a good deed tonight I think! - Big Bad Dave
She wasn't warm-bloodied, she was some kind of lizard.
Did a good deed tonight I think! - 1400ted
Exactly the same, Bathtub, our springer was never allowed on the suite, or up the stairs.
Never caught her on the suite but it was always warm when we got home.
When romping with the kids she used to charge up the first flight of 5, skid to a stop and sheepishly come back.
Had 2 Border Terrorists after that.....delightful little dogs, tough and game for anything.
Both gone now, sadly. No more now, got some freedom back.

Ted
Did a good deed tonight I think! - Stuartli
A relative used to have a German Shepherd, who was fiercely protective of his territory and his non-stop barking would make it clear to strangers that they wouldn't be allowed access as they approached the property, unless accepted by the family.

I visited the relative weekly and normally arrived each time driving a different car and rarely the same clothes. Yet, in my case, the dog was already giving a welcoming bark from inside the house as I walked up the path.

Never ceased to amaze me.
Did a good deed tonight I think! - Armitage Shanks {p}
Dogs have owners - cats have servants! Certainly dogs in a car know when they are getting near home, not quite sat nav but very impressive!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 27/11/2009 at 18:44

Did a good deed tonight I think! - ForumNeedsModerating
Yes a very thoughtful & kind act by the OP. Although not currently a dog owner, they're the only sort of pet I would consider keeping - anything else (bar cats I suppose) rather feels like you're imprisoning the animal. Dogs seems to genuinely like being in human company & can live out a fairly natural life under our stewardship with the right owner.

Dog emotions: the one that cracks me up is the guilt trip scene they do when they know they've been naughty - Olivier couldn't have done better in his prime!

Edited by woodbines on 27/11/2009 at 18:58

Did a good deed tonight I think! - BobbyG
Years ago my blind Granda had a guide dog, a golden lab called Kirsty.
My dad used to bring them to the house once a week on a Sunday in his Cortina Estate, with Kirsty in the boot.

One day my Granda had her at the vet in our town and decided to walk down to our house.
Kirsty took him to our front door step though she had never ever even walked in the front gates of the drive, never mind walked down the street.
Well we have a family German Shepherd (dropped out of Police training) and the emotion thing is very true, we can tell when he's smiling, when he's sad, when he's scared, and definitely when he's angry!

He's docile when we're out and about but if a stranger comes onto "his" territory he goes nuts, fierce barking and straining at the lead to get at them, he's not allowed in the house so I think he sees the garden as most definitely belonging to him. The only way to get him to accept people is to show him that we accept them (preferably away from the house first).

Love him to bits and I guess that's why I couldn't just drive past those two poor things last night!

Pleased it brought a smile to a few, sort of multiples the effect a little :-)
Did a good deed tonight I think! - Martin Devon
Out with the middle Labrador today picking up on a small shoot here in Devon. Only 2nd time out. Done the job, behaved impeccably and travelled well in the back of the Jimny on the small tarp I had placed there with dust sheets on top to take up most of the moisture. She seemed happy and never murmured...Then....I popped into town to collect some beer and tonight's winning Euro ticket, two minutes in shop and she had vacated the rear, crept through the front seats and placed her muddy wet bottom on...............the Drivers seat. I leant in the passenger side and tried to pull her around and poke her back through the gap. No Go. I went Drivers side (to get a better grip) and she................No Go. I picked her up, placed her under my arm (no mean feat, 32KG) carry her to the rear of the car, I open the door and chuck (I wish) her inside. She sits down.............leans forward and licks my chops having just licked a dead Pheasant. We must need our ruddy bumps felt.

Good on yer Blue.................Top Man.

Huge respect.................MD
32kgs? woo too fat man. My Lab bitch is 21kg

Edited by Webmaster on 28/11/2009 at 04:10

Did a good deed tonight I think! - Martin Devon
I'll send you a picture. She is ribby and is as fast as fast can be. Fit as a fiddle. 30Kg I just checked and not 32. Quite tall and a picture of health.

Reg's.........M
aslong as you can feel the ribs, its fine

Did a good deed tonight I think! - Clanger
it's an unmarked and unlit NSL country road in an urban area basically a
death trap)

(when cars swerve on
that road it often ends up with a trip to the undertakers).

A small part of me admires you for trying your best. But for a bunch of dogs ?
[shakes head in disbelief]

I've never understood the "man's best friend" stuff.
Ah yes but I had made sure that my car was stopped in the most visible spot possible with lights and hazards on, you would have had to be blind to miss it, stood out like a sore thumb and as the road is so bad everyone slowed to a crawl before getting to it.

The real issue is if traffic hadn't been stopped and one of the little things had ran out in front of a car causing it to swerve...
Did a good deed tonight I think! - Avant
Nice one, Blue. It's a very British characteristic not to get involved, and there are a lot of people who would just have driven on to keep out of trouble. I admire you and hope I'd have done the same myself- but would I?

Hawkeye - I suspect one is either a pet lover or one isn't. But some of the warm-hearted posts above go some way to answering your question.
Did a good deed tonight I think! - cheddar
Many years ago I rolled a car into a ditch caused by avoiding what I though was a fox, turned out a nearby farm had some Alsatian pups that regularly got out.
Did a good deed tonight I think! - Robbie
Good on you Blue, I would have done the same, although there are a lot of people who would not.

I have always had a dog since I was a kid, and could never be without one. My present dog is a Cocker Spaniel, Charley, who is almost twelve. He loves the car, and he even has to sit in it when I put it in the garage after washing it.

He's recently had a malignant melanoma removed from his paw and made a good recovery.

A pic of him at the vets if anyone's interested. i177.photobucket.com/albums/w231/Robbie34_photo/Ch...g
Did a good deed tonight I think! - ForumNeedsModerating
>>A pic of him at the vets if anyone's interested.

Amazing aren't they dogs. As I wrote in my last post - their ability to convey their emotional state (in this case 'oh dear I suppose it needs doing..but I'm not enjoying it one jot'.. ) to humans must be unrivalled in the animal kingdom.
I suppose it's partly to do with them being hierarchical pack animals (a bit like us!) & having been domesticated for thousands of years - there must be some sort of 'Darwinian' convergence along the way; at least as far social/psychological interactions go anyway.

Wish him well in his recovery!
Did a good deed tonight I think! - Lud
No offence cheddar, but long before I was old enough to drive it had been represented to me that to risk an accident to a human being, or even a car, in order to avoid harming an animal was a fundamental mistake.