Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Pugugly
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/8380094.stm

Ah real "doh!" moment.
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - b308
Whats wrong with using one of those tube heaters if its in a garage, probably cheaper to run than a parafin heater as well!
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - ifithelps
Reminds me of a friend who stuffed his McDonald's wrappers under the front seat of his Volvo and then turned on the seat heater.

There wasn't quite a fire, he told me, but a fair bit of smouldering and smoke.

Mickey D would have been sued for that in the States.

Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Alby Back
You'd have trouble persuading anyone it was a class action mind.....
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Rattle
Some people are just plain daft :) PS can you get cars with heated steering wheels? My steering wheel is always freezing cold until the coolant warms up and can point the blowers to it.
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Bagpuss
PS can you get cars with heated steering wheels?

Yes, BMW offer heated steering wheels.
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - craig-pd130

The insides of the glass in my old BGT V8 used to frost up in winter (occupational hazard with Webasto roofs) so I used to keep an electric fan heater and an extension cable handy.

Stick heater in passenger footwell pointing up and into the car interior, 10 mins on the 1kW setting while I took my shower & got ready, and the interior was lovely and warm, and I could just wipe the drips off the inside of the screen with a squeegee :)
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - zookeeper
you would think they would of used a davey safety lamp being welsh and that?
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - paulb {P}
PS can you get cars with heated steering
wheels? My steering wheel is always freezing cold until the coolant warms up and can
point the blowers to it.

Um, gloves?
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - bell boy
You'd have trouble persuading anyone it was a class action mind.....

>>>>>>> mint....
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Jcoventry
This is just my opinion, nothing more nothing less. But I do really think heated seats are a waste of money/time and weight. Why would I want a warm ass when driving? Air conditioning warms up the air all around you in the car. I'd much rather have a heated steering wheel, as mine is always very cold to touch in the winter months (gloves solve that problem quite well though...).
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Blue {P}
Have you ever had them though? They're great :-)

Also, A/C doesn't warm the air any quicker than in a car without it, all it does is de-humidify the warm air, still need the engine to get warm first.

I wouldn't part with mine and it's an essential option on my next car (which I'll be buying next week, stay tuned people!)
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Lygonos
-- the paraffin lamp was left in the battery compartment of the car to keep it warm --

-- There were no smoke alarms in the property --

-- when the man discovered the fire he initially tried to tackle it himself --

I'm amazed the guy has made it into his 60s...
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Blue {P}
Yeah, was very nearly a Darwin award winner!
Still begs the question why though. It's been the mildest November for years - even in Wales. No Davy lamps in North Wales - only mines around Conwy are the Trelogan Treacle Mines and they have a benign gas discharge. (Yes I know pedants that there were coal mines in Talacre and Wrexham as well as slate mines in Ffestiniog)
I'm amazed the guy has made it into his 60s...

>>

Still living in them by the sound of it, I can remember paraffin lamps and no smoke alarms from that era... just not moved with the times and used safer modern stuff like the rest of us!
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Jcoventry
Well I have a friend who has a car with heated front seats. I don't see what's so special. I get more than warm enough from just driving 5 minutes with the engine running and A/C on.
They are pretty good with leather seats in winter though.
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - pda
A lot of lorries have them as standard and after getting cold and wet, and straining your back on windswept trailer curtains, they are worth their weight in gold:)

Pat
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - FotheringtonThomas
Do you regularly get into your car all bare?
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Big Bad Dave
"I get more than warm enough from just driving 5 minutes with the engine running and A/C on"

Shocking though it may seem, the world doesn't evolve around the UK and its climate. I invite you to sit in my leather seats first thing in the morning in minus 30 degrees and still think they're a waste of time.
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - helicopter
Exactly right Dave, the world of car heating does not revolve around the UK.

Earlier this year even in Sussex we had temps of minus 3 and the leather seats on the Accord together with the very efficient climate control and screen heaters got me heated up nicely on the way to work .

The 'just wet yourself ' feeling is peculiar though .... particularly at my time of life you can never be quite sure....
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Big Bad Dave
I always think of warm "full" nappy although it's been 40 years since that last happened to me.
It could interfere with your control of the car. Tow it in a horsebox.
What is a "battery compartment"? They had a paraffin lamp in there, apparently
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Happy Blue!
I have had heated leather seats for years. Won't be without them in winter. They are on permanently on the lowest setting and make my back much better.

Strangely I have never had the 'wetting myself' feeling - I just feel nice and warm.
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - M.M
Am I alone in remembering the paraffin heaters that were made with a low profile to slip under the sump/engine of a car to warm them up before starting. There was one in every Grandad's/Uncle's garage in the 50s/60s.

It must show something about the forum posters age that the first thought on feeling that warmth is a loss of bladder control... still it waits for us all at the end.

I would not say seat heaters are make or break in car choice but ther do go hand in hand with leather seats which can be cold in the winter. Not so chilly with trousers but a shock for the mini-skirt wearers.
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Alby Back
I have had heated leather seats on quite a few cars including my current ones but never seem to have felt the urge to use the heaters despite sometimes using them in cold places. But then, as pointed out above, I almost never wear mini skirts.
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Westpig
Wifey must have blue blood or something as she's perpetually cold...she swears by them. Personally i'm completely indifferent, but it wouldn't be in my interests to buy another car without them, if you get my drift.
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Stuartli
>>Am I alone in remembering the paraffin heaters that were made with a low profile ..>>

I can remember my father taking out the Austin 8's spark plugs during the winter and heating them in the oven...:-)
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Altea Ego
I had to do that on a 1983 austin maestro.
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Lygonos
Had to do that on cold days on an otherwise reliable 1980 Maxi until I found pouring a kettle of hot water over the inlet manifold worked a treat in the winter to help starting.
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - Bill Payer
I can remember my father taking out the Austin 8's spark plugs during the winter
and heating them in the oven...:-)

I told a colleague, who was complaining about his battery performance during very cold weather we were having, that they suffered due to cold and would work better if warm.

Next day in work he told me he'd put the battery in the oven for a bit and his car had started fine that morning! Thinking about it still sends shivers down my spine.
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - henry k
Am I alone in remembering the paraffin heaters that were made with a low profile
to slip under the sump/engine of a car to warm them up before starting. There
was one in every Grandad's/Uncle's garage in the 50s/60s.

I have one of these "sump heaters" hidden away somewhere.
The key features were, as you say, very low profile but also no bare flame as there was a mesh over all the holes the cover.
Just like this
www.parasene.com/images/pi_sml206.jpg
Dad had a long electric pipe thing (similar to those tube heaters you can buy today)... and a large tray with sand in it to collect the oil which seemed to drip from the sumps of all the British made cars of the time...

(And yes I have stuck a tray (with kitty litter) under the Maxi, though to be honest there's only the odd drop, they must have been getting better towards the end of the 70s!!)
Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - madf
I have a low profile Desmo paraffin heater. Use it to keep minimal heat in greenhouse all winter.

Leather seats in the UK in winter and no seat heater gives you piles :-)

Edited by madf on 28/11/2009 at 15:47

Invest in a car with heated seats next time. - bathtub tom
>>(And yes I have stuck a tray (with kitty litter) under the Maxi, though to be honest there's only the odd drop, they must have been getting better towards the end of the 70s!!)

Invariably the gear-change-rod oil seal where it went in the gearbox. I used to do mine annually before cobbling a length of bike inner tube to act as a dust cover. IIRC later models had a rubber bellows type arrangement.