01 1.9 Water in Driver side footwell - BoraLee
Hi, After V heavy rain over the last 2 days the Driver side footwell is swamped and seems to be coming from the bulk head.
Any advicea and solving tips would be greatlt welcome?
I don't have a great deal of Mechanical knowledge but do have a haynes so please keep it simple for me.
cheers
01 1.9 Water in Driver side footwell - ex-Triumph man
First things first. If water is dirty, then it will be coming up from underneath, therefore pull back carpets and check for any cracks in seam sealant, holes in floor, grommets missing etc.
If water is clean, try getting front screen resealed, if the car has a sunroof, a drain tube could be blocked/kinked/displaved and/or if the car has air-con a drain tube could be dislodged.
Infortunately with this weather, drying out is going to be a slow job.
2001 1.9 TDI Leak/Water in Driver side footwell - BoraLee
Hi, Thanks for your response.
No Sunroof, windscreen was replaced 2 years ago so i will look into that cheers.
Just had a service so if the pollen filter has been replaed for the air con could this be the problem?? If so i would have thought the passenger side would be wet as this is a UK car or does this not matter?
Cheers
Lee
2001 1.9 TDI Leak/Water in Driver side footwell - ex-Triumph man
Not familiar with VW a/con system as such. However if something in that area has been disturbed lately, it should be a good starting point.
Discovered that the water is definitely coming in from the drainage chennel at the drivers side by the wing. It doesn't look clocked but could it be as it runs inside?
cheers
2001 1.9 TDI Leak/Water in Driver side footwell - ex-Triumph man
Glad you have managed to pin down the possible source. Next move I suppose would be getting someone outside with a hosepipe and you inside, possibly with a torch and go from there.
2001 1.9 TDI Leak/Water in Driver side footwell - Peter D
Thar recess goes through into the inner wing. Unless the seam is faulty I doubt that is the cause. Did you remove the scuttle trim. Regards Peter
2001 1.9 TDI Leak/Water in Driver side footwell - Armitage Shanks {p}
I read this and thought pollen filter; if it is a blocked drain you may be able to clear it with a suitable length of that spiral wound curtain wire? Strong but flexible.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 28/11/2009 at 17:22

2001 1.9 TDI Leak/Water in Driver side footwell - Street Mech
Not sure about the drainage holes on the Bora but I do loads of passats with flooded bulk heads.
The drainage hole could be in the same place and is located under the battery tray, you need to remove the battery and the tray to find it.

Pete.
I am having trouble getting the scuttle trim off. Tha manual states that there are clips but i cannot locate them.

After pouring water into tye channel it runs out of the wheel arch fine but if i put a lot in it comes into the car, I will try with the torch later today.

Thanks
2001 1.9 TDI Leak/Water in Driver side footwell - Jcoventry
Having same problem with my '08 plate Ford Ka - its in the garage and they think its one of the rubber grommets beneath the scuttle panel. Like others said, could be related to the pollen filter. I don't know much about VWs but on Fords, the pollen filter housing can leak. Another likely thing is a blocked drainage hole.