06 1.3CDTI - Any good? - M.M
In our continuing search for a second family car several 2006 Astra 1.3CDTI Estates have come up at decent prices.

A forum search has indicated some starting issues (CIM module?) and turbo-lag. Is this a chain cam engine?

Any other thoughts? Bear in mind its use will be mostly with just driver for a 20ml each way commute, sometimes plus two small teens and never with a load.... and we only travel on level Fen roads which can be bumpy.

Edited by Pugugly on 25/11/2009 at 17:25

Astra 1.3CDTI (2006) - Any good? - piston power
On the vauxhall forums is this the lump fitted in the corsa vans the troublesome engines?

1.7-2.0 would be my choice diesel, bigger the better astra estate still is a heavy car.
Astra 1.3CDTI (2006) - Any good? - b308
I'd agree, big car, small engine - the only way to tell if it suits you, though, is to get a decent test drive... I ruled out the Focus 1.8TDDi on that basis, bloomin' awful power delivery!
Astra 1.3CDTI (2006) - Any good? - piston power
Yeah get a test drive and fill it with a few fatties then see if it pulls up hills.
Astra 1.3CDTI (2006) - Any good? - M.M
As I said mostly just the driver and we don't have hills. BHP and torque is about the same as our current Xsara TD which would probably weigh about the same.

Edited by M.M on 25/11/2009 at 19:32

06 1.3CDTI - Any good? - Avant
It'll do the job, but if the driver (whether you or your other half) is any sort of enthusiast you'd be better off with a Focus.
06 1.3CDTI - Any good? - Dynamic Dave
If you want the engine specs of this, and the other engines, click on the following link:-

www.srba.cz/opel/files/pdf/srba-servis-astra-speci...f

Some good tech specs thanks DD. Interesting that sort of detail was at the end of roads tests in the 70s but rarely seen now.

Seems the 1.3CDTi Astra doesn't really stir the backroom much either way. My research elsewhere shows reports of starting issues, very poor throttle response when cold and excessive turbo lag. I might take a run in one at a local dealers to see what they're like.
06 1.3CDTI - Any good? - b308
I might take a run in one at a local dealers to see what they're
like.

Thats the only way!

I noticed that you compared the engine power output with your Xsara... I would not recommend doing that and thinking that just because they are similar the power delivery will be similar... I've drived loads of diesels over the years and have yet to find two from different manufacturers that drive anything like each other, even when the have virtually the same bhp/torque!!

Edited by b308 on 26/11/2009 at 18:26

06 1.3CDTI - Any good? - DP
I've drived loads of diesels over the years and have yet to find
two from different manufacturers that drive anything like each other even when the have virtually
the same bhp/torque!!

I agree.

The old 120 bhp version of the Renault 1.9dCi and the 125 bhp Ford 1.8 TDCi spring to mind.
Drove them both in similar size/weight/shape cars. Similar outright go, but power delivery / response were chalk and cheese. And it wasn't the more powerful engine that felt quicker either.
It's a good point b308. The differences were noticeable between a Citroen TD motor in the Xsara, ZX, Xantia and Rover 218.

Edited by M.M on 27/11/2009 at 13:00