Cupra TDi 160 Buying Advice? - newguy
Hi,

Good morning to you all.

Im asking this question on behalf of a work colleague:

He is looking to Purchase either a golf gtd tdi 150 (2004), seat leon tdi Cupra 150 (2004) or the Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi (2004).

His personal preferance is the Ibiza due to its looks etc. Also it has a 160bhp engine compared to 150bhp for the other two. I assuming it is a PD type engine?

Asking price is £5895 for the Ibiza, 82000 miles, 04 reg, red colour, 3 door, recent cambelt etc. Only thing is it has got aftermarket audi replica alloy. Im not a fan of after market mods. Should this be a bad sign if it has got replica wheels? Car is on the pitch of a local well respected car seller.

What is your opinion on this purchase? How reliable are these engine? I have read that the PD130 engine is very reliable. Is this also?

Any things to be wary of?

car will get driven about 550 miles weekly.

Any opinions welcome

{Shouting in header amended}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/11/2009 at 10:29

Cupra TDi 160 Buying Advice? - Bill Payer
For all I know this is a probem with any VAG car but we have a 2004 Ibiza (only a 1.2) and they seem to eat various suspension bushes. Not cheap to get them done and the car aligned again and not really a DIY proposition.
so they prob need doing at this age / mileage unless already done.
SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/11/2009 at 19:03

Cupra TDi 160 Buying Advice? - idle_chatterer
The 130PD is economical, my limited experience of the 150PD is that it's not terribly economical, can't comment on the 160PD version but might be worth checking the potential economy if it's to be driven 2000+ miles a month ?
Cupra TDi 160 Buying Advice? - davidh
Tell your friend to check that he's happy with the ride quality of the Ibiza as I understand its very firm. That might be an issue at 550 miles a week.

If it were me, doing a high mileage, I'd get a 130 bhp golf TDI. He can always put a tuning box on it later if he wants. Plus I think it would be a more satisfying/well built/comfier car to live with. When I looked at an Ibiza TDi I was shocked at A) The lack of quality, poor trim materials in the cabin and the lack of isolation between the diesel engine and the cabin.
Cupra TDi 160 Buying Advice? - DP
I've driven the 130 and 150 versions of the Golf, and bought the 130 despite very little price difference on the used market. The 150 feels like a very powerful "old school" diesel - i.e. no power low down, a big wallop, then out of breath at the top. The 130 is much more progressive, and the power seems to be spread across a wider rev range. Feels much keener on light "throttle" and at low revs, and therefore feels quicker in normal driving.

I was also told by a VW tech that the 150 engine suffers a multitude of reliability issues relating to the top end, and turbo, which the 130 doesn't.

Oh, and the economy of the 130 is stunning. Driven at legal speeds out of town, it will almost do 60 mpg (brim to brim), and I have been genuinely unable to get ours below 40 mpg over a tankful since we've owned it. 50 mpg is achievable without even trying.
Cupra TDi 160 Buying Advice? - Altea Ego
Tell him to get on good terms with his osteopath, and get the spinal operations booked now.

Both models (FR) of car have rides that are harder than a hard thing in hard town on a hard day.
Cupra TDi 160 Buying Advice? - Bill Payer
so they prob need doing at this age / mileage unless already done.

On our car they needed doing when it failed MOT at 4yrs/ 34K miles (and it's only driven on a gentle main road commute), so if you're looking at a car with getting on for 90K on it, they could have been done a couple of times already.
Cupra TDi 160 Buying Advice? - BobbyG
I would recommend he go find a Fabia vrS instead.

When I bought mine, it was between that and the Ibiza and the Skoda won for various reasons.

But what I was looking for and what he is looking for may be totally different. I was looking for a "wolf in sheep's clothing" which the vrS is, he may well want the wolf in wolf's clothing ie. hard ride etc which the ibiza is.
Cupra TDi 160 Buying Advice? - NickS
I would second the vote for the vRS, 130bhp and a galaxy of torque.

I would recommend getting Cruise Control though, makes a big difference on the motorway IMO.

Wish I had never sold mine, the best car ive ever owned, bar none.
i think its the sportier looks of the seat which are swaying it. having said that the vrs does look "sporty" but not as much.

Any issues with the pd160 engines?

What you think to the price?
Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro Multironic 2004 views? - newguy
Hi,

Update from yesterday, colleague has also seen an Audi A6 TDI Quattro SE Multitronic. 2004 04 plate. 120k miles for 8495.

Seems odd going from an Ibiza Cupra TDI to this but i think hes looking at anything that will take his fancy.

Any views / opinions on the above?

Are the gearboxes reliable?
Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro Multironic 2004 views? - Altea Ego
It was a £32,000 car new. Ask him if he can afford to service and run a £32k car