Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - lordwoody
Next week I've got to do a journey I endured 2 months ago, taking my daughter to an interview at Reading Uni. Last time I went A12 ( I live near Framlingham), then M25 northbound and M4. This would seem a fast and simple journey but about 50% of the northbound M25 consists of roadworks and the journey was a slow frustrating crawl.
I've got to be at Reading for 10.30am, are there any sensible alternatives? I'd considered the North Circular then onto the M4, or even M25 southbound, then M4. Any thoughts or do I just resign myself to the nightmare of the northbound M25? What makes it worse is I've got to wait up to 5 hours in Reading whilst her interview takes place then endure the driving misery in reverse in the dark.
Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - NorfolkDriver
I think M25 is the only way for you.

You may recall I went to Heathrow from Norfolk a few weeks back, M25 was a mare coming home on the first run, second run it was V clear and I averaged near the max speed limit. :)

There are roadwords just past the M11 as well as around Watford.

Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - jbif
You can test car vs public transport alternatives on
www.transportdirect.info/

Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - NARU
I'd take the train!
Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - henry k
What makes it worse is I've got to wait up to 5 hours in Reading whilst her interview takes place

>>
Do you have to "be on hand" and wait close by ? If not , perhaps someone could suggest somewhere local ( to Reading Uni ) to spend that time and ease the boredom / feed and water the driver.
Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - NARU
Christmas shopping at the Oracle shopping centre?
"
Do you have to "be on hand" and wait close by "

I have to be relatively close by, the 5 hours is an estimate rather than fixed, it could be less, maybe slightly more. My wife's coming too so I'll have company, I'm happy shopping and having a leisurely lunch, plus a quick snooze in the car to prepare for the return journey. If the weather's OK I may look for photo ops too. It's the journey that's more concern really. I'd be interested to hear opinions on M25 southbound with no roadworks versus M25 northbound with lots of roadworks.
Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - ifithelps
How about leaving the day before and stopping in a Travelodge, or even a proper hotel, if you're feeling flush?

Daughter might arrive in better shape for her interview.

The other consideration is if daughter gets a place at Reading, do you hope to visit often, or does she intend to come home often?

If the journey's that bad, she might like to consider a learning establishment a little nearer home.
Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - Roly93
I live near Reading, and have been job-hunting lately both in Hertfordshire and Kent. I have to say that the Southern part of the M25 is you best bet at the moment. The 'Northern' bit has some nasty long-term roadworks which dont seem to be going away anytime soon.

Also, I dont know which part of reading Uni you are going to, but the Uni is quite spread out. Unfortunately the University part of the town is nowhere near Reading town centre/Oracle etc. So you would have to drive over and park if you wanted to wile away some time at the shops.
Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - Altea Ego
Northbound round the M25 is a complete No No, due to the roadworks from Junction 20 to J17. The North citrecular at that time of the morning, is again a complete no no.

Your only Viable route is M25 SOUTH round the southern section and up to the M4. Your only agro will be the dartford crossing.

Framlingham? nice castle! one of my favourties.

If its a nice day, while away an hour or two at Windsor, or lunch at on eof the thames riverside inns

Edited by Altea Ego on 23/11/2009 at 09:41

"How about leaving the day before and stopping in a Travelodge,"

I had considered this but domestic situation ( lots of animals) make this more difficult.
I had thought about Windsor, may look into that a bit more.
Southbound M25 sounding more attractive.
Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - maz64
I had thought about Windsor may look into that a bit more.

I would worry about not getting back in time. As a Reading resident, I would agree with the suggestion about the Oracle; see at film at the Vue cinema, get something to eat in one of the many restaurants by the river, have a shop, wander over to the old Abbey ruins in the Forbury Gardens...

If the university site you are visiting is too far from the Oracle to walk, a Reading Buses one day 'busabout' ticket is £3.50,. although the Oracle car parks might work out cheaper if there are 2 of you.
I would trust Altea Ego's advice as he travels a lot in and around the region.

>>
>>"How about leaving the day before and stopping in a Travelodge,"
>>
I have lost count of how many times over the years I have done this sort of trip to Uni interviews and others for my offspring.
I have done this twice in the last month. Both were expensive as the only suitable hotel in London charges £££s but the result every time is a more relaxed applicant as there are NO concerns whatsoever re travel.

I had one similar type of trip to yours but from Surrey to Nottingham for an open day. We stayed there less than an hour, because they had changed the nature of the degree and it was no longer what was wanted (They had not informed us prior to the trip).

Similarly check out Reading re " Do I want to spend years here?"
I took daughter and a friend Bristol for the day and both said "not for me"
If the M25 south is the route ....
Is the M3 A322 Bracknell A329(M) a reasonable alternative to the simple M25 / M4 route ?
Thus missing out the airport turnoffs from the M25.

In the reverse direction - homeward bound
I know the queues from M3 to M25 in the mornings were dire but is it the same later in the day ?
The traffic northbound from J11 M25 northbound to J15(M4) is usually pretty fast moving in the morning these days. Certainly good enough to avoid the jams in Bracknell - Last Tuesday morning there was a jam on the A322 all the way from the leisure centre down the hill to the siemens roundabout.

Evenings return (after 16:30) there is usualy a build up, that can get severe on the M25 from j15 to J11. The A329/A322/M3/M25 south does make sense then, and is usually the way I go when doing that leg. (indeed thats what I did last week on my return from Swindon)
Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - PhilW
Do you have to go? Just wondering whether your daughter is bold/confident enough to go by train herself? After all, in a year's time she could be making the journey on a regular basis. I understand that you may be reluctant to send her off by herself and, indeed , you may wish to have a look round the Uni/accomodation etc yourself, but you can keep in touch by mobile if she goes alone - may help her gain a sense of independence that she will need shortly.
Only other suggestion is that you set off early to miss rush hour on M25 and on arrival at Reading have a look round or go for a good breakfast at Tesco/Sainsbury/Morrisons - blooming good value at less that £3 for a full English!
Good luck - went hrough same process with son and daughter 15 years ago!

Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - AlastairW
I agree Philw. Many years ago I went to all my uni (and polytechnic!) interviews solo. This was an (at the time) shy Shropshire lad travelling to many big bad cities. I got very accustomed to the platforms at Wolverhampton and Chester stations, but it never did me any harm...
I agree Philw. >>

Ditto. My first post was a hint that the OP should do so, and that is why I posted a link to the public transport vs car planning website.
If you listen to Radio5-live reports, you regularly hear about M-ways being shut off for hours, and if that happens, the interview time might be missed.

So best for the offspring to go by train the previous night and stay in a lodge/inn/motel. You may also find that some Universities (I know that some colleges at Cambridge do) provide accommodation and meals (free at Cambridge) for those interviewees who wish to arrive the night before.

Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - gordonbennet
I wouldn't be subjecting myself or my loved ones to this either....you'll have to leave at some dreadful hour and still be panicking all the way.

Invariably someone breaks down in the contraflow section 'tween Rickmansworth and M40 turn off most mornings...it builds into a nightmare in minutes, that's quite apart from the A12 horror on a wet morning.

As said, overnight it and/or train it.
"You may also find that some Universities (I know that some colleges at Cambridge do) provide accommodation and meals (free at Cambridge) for those interviewees who wish to arrive the night before."

Good point - well worth investigating - I'm sure most Unis would do the same for those applicans from far afield

Edited by PhilW on 23/11/2009 at 21:22

>>Just wondering whether your daughter is bold/confident enough to go by train herself?
>>
Or trust trains or endure the trip solo fretting about the day.
And a return trip.

>>Invariably someone breaks down in the contraflow section 'tween Rickmansworth and M40 turn off most mornings...it builds into a nightmare in minutes,
Concensus was to go clockwise on the M25.
This evening about 7pm when travelling on the M40 south to the M25 the overhead gantry sign were saying words to the effect of go anti clockwise via Heathrow to the M11.
Of course the M40 is even further round the M25 than the M4 and they still say anti clockwise to avoid the road works.
Check www.trafficengland.com/index.aspx and click on "Roadside Message Signs "
for any nasties before you set off

>>"You may also find that some Universities (I know that some colleges at Cambridge do) provide accommodation.
IIRC when my son went to the Oxford interviews, it was over three days - hence accommodation. My daughters first interview at Cambridge was without accommodation.
Still well worth asking / pleading your case.

Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - gordonbennet
Concensus was to go clockwise on the M25.

And i agree it may well be best, but Dartford crossing can be a pita, and in the morning rush where M26 joins and further along that whole southern section can be slow.

No guarantees any way unfortunately.

My daughters first interview at Cambridge was without accommodation. >>

This year, Cambridge (at least two Colleges I know of) have offered free accommodation and meals to students who wish to arrive the night before. They did the same for their open day in the Summer.

Edited by jbif on 24/11/2009 at 09:39

"Do you have to go? Just wondering whether your daughter is bold/confident enough to go by train herself?"

Hmm, this is a bone of contention between myself and my wife. I would have her on the train if it were up to me. The ensuing domestic strife is too much to deal with however.
There's the answer - send wife and daughter and you stay at home!!
Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - pda
There is an alternative route depending where you are in Suffolk.

A14 to Thrapston, A45 to Northampton, A43 to Cherwell Valley, M40 down to J4, down to Maidenhead and join the M4 from there to Reading.
It will add about 50 miles on to your journey but has the potential to lessen stress levels by 50%:)

You should avoid the usual A14 problems at the time you would be leaving and theonly real 'pinch point' is the first 5 miles of the M40 until you lose the A34 traffic.

It's worth a thought!

Pat

Edited by pda on 24/11/2009 at 04:21

Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - ifithelps
...It's worth a thought!...

Certainly is.

Or bite the bullet and go through the middle of London - the city, Trafalgar Square, Hyde Park Corner - lots to see while stuck in traffic.

Or how about the North Circular, perhaps as far as Hanger Lane, then A40/M25/M4 or even North Circ to Hogarth roundabout then M4.

A tinker with Google Maps - for what that's worth - suggests all these routes come in at three hours plus.

I'd be tempted to go one way and return another, just for variety.

"
There's the answer - send wife and daughter and you stay at home!!"

To be fair to my daughter, she is recovering from an operation so although I'd normally like to get her to find her own way (which was how I got to my interviews many many years ago) she is in a slightly delicate state so I'm Ok with taking her at the moment.

I had considered the North Circular route, my mother lives in Richmond and that's how we get to her, it's not the most pleasant journey though, belting round the southbound M25, even if it's further, does seem more attractive, assuming there are no hold ups there of course.

"
There is an alternative route depending where you are in Suffolk."

Thanks PDA, I'll look at this one later. I'm not that far from the A14.

Edited by lordwoody on 24/11/2009 at 07:26

Or bite the bullet and go through the middle of London - the city Trafalgar
Square Hyde Park Corner - lots to see while stuck in traffic.

NO NO NO oh dear NO

Or how about the North Circular perhaps as far as Hanger Lane then A40/M25/M4 or
even North Circ to Hogarth roundabout then M4.

NO NO NO

A14 to thrapston, A43 to M40 is an alternative. Avoid the J4 to maidenehead bit tho, its a real slow drag in the morning.

Edited by Altea Ego on 24/11/2009 at 09:45

Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - barney100
I think with experience ofmy daughter and uni interviews your best plan would be to get down the previous evening, book in at a suitable place and said daughter will be less stressed and you can be relieved of M25 stress. More expensive but worth it!
relieved of M25 stress. >>

Agreed. For example, Highways Agency reports just now :

On the M25 anti-clockwise between junctions J8 and J6, there are currently delays of 1 hour caused by congestion due to carriageway resurfacing work closing two lanes between junctions J6 and J5. Normal traffic conditions expected from 4:00 pm.

On the M25 clockwise between junctions J4 and J7, there are currently delays of 1 hour due to heavy traffic . Normal traffic conditions expected from 10:30 am.

Edited by jbif on 24/11/2009 at 10:03

>>On the M25 clockwise between junctions J4 and J7, there are currently delays of 1 hour due to heavy traffic . Normal traffic conditions expected from 10:30 am.
>>
But that is due to two lanes closed for emergency road works not normal traffic flows.
But that is due to two lanes closed for emergency road works not normal traffic flows. >>

Exactly. It reinforces my earlier point about unexpected, though seemingly frequent, delays on M-ways. On M-ways around London (M25, M1, and M40 in that order in particular) I now consider it normal to expect unexpected/abnormal delays and allow at least 33% extra time margin over the estimates shown on route planners! [ such as googlemaps and www.transportdirect.info ]

Edited by jbif on 24/11/2009 at 10:47

Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - Mapmaker
In order of preference:

1. Tell daughter that all universities on the far side of London are no go. Point her towards the Midlands.

2. Take train - take her with you if you like.

3. Fly. (Stansted to Paris, Paris to Heathrow is probably the best route.)

4. A12 to Bow, pop through Rotherhithe tunnel, over Lambeth bridge (remember to pay the congestion charge) down the Embankment, if the traffic is bad at the W. end of the Embankment (it generally is) do a U-turn at the traffic lights in order to turn up Beaufort St (it's a no right turn). Old Brompton Rd, Warwick St, M4, sorted. I know it sounds a bit Irish to cross the Thames twice, but it's the way I'd go.

5. pda's route. (which is a good route but it's very long)

6. M25 route

And definitely stay the night.

Edited by Mapmaker on 24/11/2009 at 12:48

Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - pda
I can do Huntingdon to Reading in less than 3 hours using that route in a fully laden lorry, but that's to arrive at Reading for 7am!

When I put my preferred route into Autoroute as opposed to the A12/M25/M4 which it wanted to go it was about 49 miles further.

Pat
Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - Avant
We mustn't organise your life for you, but if it were me I'd leave Mum at home with the menagerie and take daughter the day before and stay the night. There are lots of B & Bs in Reading; you can google it or maybe the university would recommend something near where she's got to go.

I live near Reading and know the university well: it's quite well scattered around Reading and can only very loosely be called a campus university. You'll need to know exactly where she's got to go.

If you drive that morning, there'll almost certainly be a jam somewhere, whichever route you take - and she'll panic. I would too.

Edited by Avant on 24/11/2009 at 23:21

Suffolk to Reading-best way to drive? - drbe
>> There are lots of B & Bs in Reading;

>>

A couple of Travelodges as well. I believe the one in the town centre doesn't have parking, the Travelodge a little way out of town does have parking - I understand.