What's in a name? - mike hannon
Just been reading Mr Snail's thread on Rolls Royce - or is it Rolls-Royce? - and I got to thinking how much I dislike them being called 'Rollers'. Almost as much as I dislike the word 'Jag'. I know genuine enthusiasts call them Royces, because he was the brains. Rolls might have been a toff but he was only the salesman.
Now I know it's early in the morning, but when I tried to put my brain into gear I couldn't, offhand, think of many another makes that have or had their names abused in this way.
Sure, the Model T Ford was called the Tin Lizzy or the Flivver, but that was a model, not a marque.
I could only think of the Subaru 'Scooby' and the Peugeot 'Pug'.
I know I don't read Max Power and the like, but what others are there?

What's in a name? - M.M
Alfa, Merc, Lambo... all I can think of.
What's in a name? - ifithelps
Moggie Minor
What's in a name? - perro
>>> I dislike them being called 'Rollers'. Almost as much as I dislike the word 'Jag' <<<

Same here comrade but - I've been guilty of using both terms alas!
Beemer is another one - yuk!
What's in a name? - piston power
Beamer(bmw), landy,(landrover) skip(skoda),disco(discovery)
What's in a name? - L'escargot
.......... Rolls Royce - or is it Rolls-Royce? -

It's Rolls-Royce. www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/
What's in a name? - Altea Ego
call a roller what you like, (over rated and over priced would do for a start) people of class, genuine old school cads, always had the Bentley

Edited by Altea Ego on 21/11/2009 at 09:30

What's in a name? - DP
The Cosworth powered Fords were always referred to as "Cossies"

I heard a friend refer to a Ferrari once as a "ra ra" which made me feel physically ill. ;-)
you should have given him a sl-ap
What's in a name? - perro
>>> call a roller what you like, (over rated and over priced would do for a start) <<<

I remember feeling oh so smug on going out to a 'roller' at a vineyard in East Sussex, but I was deflated when I lifted the bonnet and saw the usual SU carbs (huge!) and Lucas dizzy.
The roadtest did absolutely nuffink for me at all.
I have worked on Bentleys ... well ok - one :) quite an old one where you lift up the sides of the bonnet like a Ford Prefect - luvly ole car (complete with SU's and Lucas dizzy) belonged to a Dr. in Sowth Lunden.
What's in a name? - Old Navy
Landie - for off road Rovers, By the way the correct pronunciation of South London is "Sarf Lundun", I have only lived in Scotland for 40 odd years so can still speak the SL lingo.

Edited by Old Navy on 21/11/2009 at 10:32

Its actually "sowf lundun"
What's in a name? - Old Navy
Not in the bit I come from. :-)