94 2.5l Electric Windows & Sunroof Not Working - ellnic
Hey all....

I have an E36 325 Tds Saloon. It's an M Reg (1994/1995).

Last night, I popped the cover off the map lights as neither of them have worked since I got the car (although the main centre light between them comes on / works fine with normal open and close of doors etc). I also popped the cover off with the sunroof switch in it.

Anyways, finding that both the bulbs were in-tact (tested with ohm), I came to the assumption that the switches must be suspect as they are VERY hard to click on and on. Naturally, I tested the feed going to the light bulbs - nothing. However, because there is power going to the centre light I thought that it must be a faulty unit and proceeded to put it all back together (with the plan of ordering a replacement unit off ebay).

However, now - I have a problem with my electric sunroof and windows. I have electric windows in both the front and back of my car, and none of them work - using any switch - however, the switches either side of the Gear Stick are illuminated - so surely there is power going to them? The sunroof is not working either, and the switch is not illuminated.

I read that some older E36's have a trip switch by the steering wheel. The only thing I can see under my steering wheel (in the centre) is a mental chunk that looks like it's part of the column. Not a switch.

Does anyone have a pic of the location of the trip switch?

I have checked and tested all the fuses with an ohm meter - all fine.

Luckily, all my windows are up and my sunroof is closed - but I am a little worried, as now is the time of year that I may need to put the window down in the morning if I steam up and can't see traffic!!

I have also heard that the comfort relay may have gone? I did have the steering wheel cover off a while back because I was looking for the CCM (sadly, I don't think I have one - but I do have a fuse for it and a sensor on my screen wash? Ideas anyone?) - Could I have damaged it then?

Just seems odd that I change a bulb / check a bulb and now half my electric niceties won't work....

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated... (I've had French cars in the past and the wiring was awful, I want to believe that this car isn't the same!)
94 2.5l Electric Windows & Sunroof Not Working - elekie&a/c doctor
The electric windows and sunroof on these early models are controlled by a power relay that is located behind the glovebox on the pass side.It can normally be accessed from the footwell on the n/side by removing the underdash fibre/cardboard trim.The relay is purple/pink plastic and can usually be fixed by opening it up and re-solder the joints on the circuit board.The interior light fault may be caused by faulty pin switches.On the front doors they are part of the door striker on the B post.hth
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I will check that relay this afternoon. :)

Just to clarify, the pin switches are ok - as the interior light works - it's just the map lights either side of the main light that did not work - hence the check.

Any ideas why it would have gone all of a sudden?

Could I have shorted something when checking a bulb? Seems odd...

Also, I checked for a trip switch as I found a pic of one now, and I don't have one.
Ok,

I have had a look under the dash and cannot see the relay. I managed to remove the under tray and had a look up, but I cannot figure out how to remove the glove compartment. Could you give me any pointers as I don't want to snap/break anything. All I can see when I look under there is a hell of a lot of wiring, so I am assuming that the relay is under all the looms.

Just to clarify, when you say resolder the joints, do you mean all of them? I can have a go at that this evening.

Do you have a picture of the relay per chance?

Thanks.

EllNic.
I figured out what it was. Fuse 43 - Dome Light. Which I sodding checked when this first happened along with the rest of them. Maybe I didn't check it properly. Anyway, turns out it would have blown when I tried to maneuver the unit out and down from the roof due to a loose-ish/bent bit of metal that touches the base of the bulb. I had never touched these before the other day and they never worked... which begs two questions....

1. Why did the map lights never work before (assuming the fuse was already blown) and the windows/sunroof did?

2. Why are they all of a sudden working again now the fuse was replaced? They seemed to be 'not on the same fuse' as it were, before it blew - and now all of a sudden sharing a fuse? Weird.

Oh, btw, previous owner - learn how to fit a bulb properly. I had that map light unit apart and bent back the metal bits you warped by jimmying in the light bulb incorrectly.

Anyways - hope this helps those in the same situ.

EllNic