Advice please on best car to go for - carolinep
Hi
I wonder if anyone can help, we desperately need to change our car as the fuel efficiency is quite dire (chrysler grand voyager) and have been thinking of taking advantage of the scrappage scheme namely for a Toyota Yaris.

However as this will have to be financed on a PCP scheme with quite a large final payment we are wondering if we may be better off with buying a second hand car, saving money is a top priority.

I was hoping someone might be able to offer a few suggestions...

I need 5 doors as two small children to get in and out but must also fit
3 in back seat as have teenager to ferry about also.

Fuel economy is most important, i travel approx 40 miles a day in the rush hour round town.

budget about 3k!

Doesn't have to have any extras air con and so on, i just need economy and reliability

Can anyone offer any suggestions as I just don't know what to go for

thanks

Advice please on best car to go for - BobbyG
3 in back seat of Yaris - doesn't sound too comfy to me?

Can you afford to run the Voyager - is it paid for etc? If so, then surely the cheapest way to motor is to keep the one you have and not have to take out a loan?
thanks BobbyG

yes the car is all paid for, but just killing me in petrol!!
take your point on comfort in the Yaris, however 2 of the kids are small, 4 & 6 and on booster seats and the occasional third passenger is a surly teenager. I do need a car with 3 seat belts in the back in these instances though as opposed to the very small cars that are only 4 seaters.

thanks
Advice please on best car to go for - cjehuk
It might seem like an improvement to change the car but if money is really tight, the best thing might be to keep the current vehicle. Say you spend the £3k in cost to change and your Chrysler is a petrol model doing 20mpg compared to a Yaris doing 45mpg... to recoup that £3k outlay you'd need to drive the Yaris every work day of every week for 2 years with Petrol @ 1.15p/litre to break even. If your Chrysler is a Diesel model averaging say 27mpg then against the same Yaris you'd be talking about nearly 4 years to break even.

If a Petrol Voyager, why not spend £1000 getting it LPG converted and halve the fuel cost to the equivalent of the Yaris for 1/3 of the outlay i.e. payback around 9 months.

Edited by cjehuk on 02/11/2009 at 21:47

many thanks for the replies, some good points raised there, i must admit i did think about the LPG conversion but am also a bit worried that the Voyager may start costing big money on repairs and so on.

It has some electrical fault that has resulted in me having no heating/air con, rear wiper/heated rear screen, i also estimate at the moment to be getting 12mpg!! petrol

So as you can see I am also looking at cheaper running costs ie road tax, tyres etc in my decision.

Advice please on best car to go for - rtj70
i also estimate at the moment to be getting 12mpg!! petrol

Then there is something wrong with the car and it might be easy to fix. Have you had someone take a look? I suggest an independent and not a dealer.

12mpg is about what you'd get in most super-cars on a bad day - I bet a Bentley Continental GT uses less petrol.
Advice please on best car to go for - maz64
i also estimate at the moment to be getting 12mpg!! petrol

Is it the 3.3 V6 auto (4 speed)?
Hi yes it's a 3.3 auto
Hi yes it's a 3.3 auto

Well I guess that plus mostly town driving means the mpg isn't going to be great...

Anyone know the official urban figures for this model (1997-2001 presumably)? Did a google but couldn't spot it.
exactly Focus{P},
was quite shocked when i worked it out, only doing 15 miles a day at the moment but putting in equivalent to £6 a day, however have a new job that will involve approx 40 miles a day and am not looking forward to petrol bill.
It is a 1997 model.
Advice please on best car to go for - bell boy
just weigh the heap in it should weigh two tonnes so thats at least $200
and go buy a nice nissan tino

Edited by bell boy on 02/11/2009 at 22:39

cheers bell boy

Think it may be worth little bit more than that, it's got 12 months MOT on it, not much more but hopefully a bit.

Not considered the Nissan i must admit, was probably looking for something smaller, however will look into them.

thanks
Caroline

get a nice low mileage (genuine) one
your car honestly isnt worth a burnt carrot but hey theres a bum for every seat somewhere
good luck
that will involve approx 40 miles a day and am not looking forward to petrol
bill.

I can understand the desire to change to something (theoretically) cheaper, but it's always going to be a gamble - I don't know about you but I certainly wouldn't be able to buy a £3k car without worrying that it was going to be an expensive can of worms.

Regarding Yarises, we had an 1.0 2002 model from new, which is now owned by my stepson. It has been very reliable, and feels quite lively with just one person in it. Might be an idea to try fitting all the kids in one before buying though.
Regarding Yarises we had an 1.0 2002 model from new which is now owned by
my stepson. It has been very reliable and feels quite lively with just one person
in it. Might be an idea to try fitting all the kids in one before
buying though.

>>>>>> and maybe get in the guiness book of records ;-) ,i cant imagine anything worse than 5 people crammed in a buzz box
Advice please on best car to go for - kayks
Don't scream, but have you considered a Fiat Multipla 1.9 JTd?
you mean a frog?
they all seem to have disappeared to their natural habitat these days
Advice please on best car to go for - kayks
It isn't French, you know ;-) its Italian ...

Yes, the frog. Comfortable seating for 3 abreast, considering the fact that the distraction of the interaction between one surly teen and two younger kids is more of a hazard than drunk stoned drivers ... given that they are Fiats, used values are through the floor? Should get really nice examples for 3K
I'm not screaming!!!
To be honest though am a bit off Fiats, had a bit of a bad experience with a Punto a few years back,however am up for considering anything

thanks

caroline

by the way good point on the little ones and teenager in the back, it's carnage!!

Edited by carolinep on 02/11/2009 at 23:07

I get what you are saying about the gamble, the Voyager may be an expensive tank but on the whole it's been reliable for the 5 or so years i've had it.

This was why we initially thought about taking the safe option and opting for new with scrappage but would love to be saving money each month hence thinking about 2nd hand.

Just to clarify, 75% of the time it would be just me in the car, remainder of the time with the two little ones and once in a blue moon the teenager who also wants to learn to drive (she is 17) so could possibly be used by her eventually.

If we were to all go a longer trip my husband drives a Vectra which even though in my opinion is really uncomfortable is more roomy.
Just to clarify 75% of the time it would be just me in the car

Sounds like a small car would be fine then. BTW other stepson has a 1.0 S reg Corsa which has only been serviced intermittently but still carries him and his death metal band mates up and down the country. Seems to be indestructible, despite their best efforts.

A Corsa was one that I had thought of along with Fiesta's, just really scared of buying something with a load of problems,
that is the risk though with only paying 3k ish. It is starting to do my head in to be honest, new vs old vs keep the voyager.

decisions!!!!
It is starting to do
my head in to be honest new vs old vs keep the voyager.

The LPG option sounded interesting as well, although spending £1000(?) on the conversion again is risky if you think the Voyager is going to start breaking down.
i think you would have to be nuts to consider putting a grands worth minimum of lpg gear (personally i think it would cost nearer 2 anyway) on a 12 year old yank barge
Advice please on best car to go for - jbif
... only doing 15 miles a day at the moment but putting in equivalent to £6 a day, >>

15 miles round trip, means 7 or 8 miles each way. Your engine is just getting warmed up. No wonder you are using so much fuel.

>>however have a new job that will involve approx 40 miles a day and am not looking forward to petrol bill. >>
40 mile round trip means 20 miles each way. That should improve consumption figures, as after the first 5 to 10 miles, I think the engine should be nicely warmed up.
It is starting to do my head in to be honest, new vs old vs keep the voyager. >>

I vote for keeping the Voyager, and learning to save fuel (better route planning, less weight in the car, sympathetic driving style, etc.):
www.iam.org.uk/pressroom/drivingtips/drivingtip18....m
www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Travel/Drivers/Smarte...g
www.uswitch.com/car-insurance/how-to-be-fuel-effic.../

Give that a go and then after 3 or 4 months, rethink your options. 2nd hand cars may be cheaper then:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=27728

Edited by jbif on 02/11/2009 at 23:33

Advice please on best car to go for - PhilW
Did nobody mention a Berlingo/Partner with the good old 1.9 diesel engine - Bromptonaut will in a mo!
Advice please on best car to go for - barneybear
I know just your problem. We have a Grand Espace, but most of the time it has wife and one or two kids in it. However for holidays, brownies, girl guides, Duke of Edinburgh groups etc I wouldn't have anything else. It returned 42mpg on our recent holiday, but only 35 around town (2.2 diesel) 2006 model.
My parents had Mk1 Yaris and now have a new one which is a little bigger. Good car to learn to drive in, but can be a little expensive. Slightly cheaper to buy and possibly to run would be Corsa/Clio which also have x 3 belts in the back. Kia Rio is cheap.
Small cars still tend to be a touch expensive. Even slightly bigger cars like the Focus still do excellent MPG and give you a little more elbow room.
Try out fitting booster seats plus the teen before buying. Some you really can't buckle up with two seats in place.
I would go scrappage and new - peace of mind motoring and 7 year warrenty on some models...
Good luck.
cheers barneybear,
they are an expensive luxury and have been invaluable for carrying around loads of kids and all the paraphanalia that goes with them. must add that i do have 5 kids total but eldest has left home and next one down just does his own thing just leaving 3

I must add that the Yaris was just one model we were looking at but does seem our fave, however maybe im not looking at all the options as im a bit fixated on £35 tax and high MPG, may be time to widen the criteria a bit.

thanks
Caroline
Advice please on best car to go for - Alanovich
Ford Fusion, Mazda 2 (old model), Suzuki Ignis. Small, economical, reliable cars, but just that little bit bigger in the back than a Yaris or some such.
Advice please on best car to go for - Nsar
Our 5 year old yaris has never skipped a beat and the 1.0 is v frugal if lacking in any oomph on the motorway, chronically so with more than two peope in it.

I think 12mpg does sound v low and I think getting it checked over by an indy + really going for the taxi driver/never touch your brake pedal driving style is the way forward.

The point at which you begin not to trust your car for fear of a big repair bill on a worthless car is an awful predicament. So I would go for the cheapest possible option as in the sentence above.

thanks all for all the replies, im thinking the voyager must go, have been trying to drive as economically as possible but not much difference... i have got to the point now where i think i need a change and something more practical.

I'm getting the impression that most people are of the opinion to get a older car as opposed to a brand new on a PCP.

there is lots to consider and i am grateful for all the replies so far, they have given me new things to think about,

now if anybody has got one of these low milage, reliable and frugal cars that look good and has room for an occasional 5 for 3k!!that they don't want anymore..... the search commences
Sorry, Caroline, not much help to you now but earlier this year you could have had my 30k miles, 2005 reg, FIAT Stilo Multiwagon, a 40-50MPG diesel estate car, for 3k. In fact, I'd think about adding that to your list. There are horror stories out there regarding Stilo reliability, but mainly in relation to petrol engines and a few specific electrical gremlins. The diesels are more robust, and cheap to run and insure. If you can find one like mine it'll do absolutely everything you're asking. They are dirt cheap to buy, compared to the competition. Much more roomy than a Yaris.

Mine was triffic, and I only sold it when we needed an automatic. There are no Stilo automatics (only Selespeeds). Sniff.
Advice please on best car to go for - FotheringtonThomas
What's wrong with something like a Vectra C 1.9CDTI 150?
Advice please on best car to go for - ijws15
Remember - Children have an annoying habit called growing.

Don't get something that will be too small in a year.
Advice please on best car to go for - Westpig
something Astra sized, (estate model if they have one) and unpopular i.e. nothing really wrong with it (you can check HJ's car by car section etc), but not the option every one else wants....maybe something like a Nissan Almera, which for some reasons were never that popular.

with two growing kids and a larger one to cart around for a while yet, i'm not convinced the Yaris size is sensible, as there's no appreciable boot space and the seating in 2 years time will be a right old squeeze

petrol one will be cheaper, therefore newer and possibly more reliable...and will be considerably better at fuel consumption than what you currently have
A Kia Cerato might be worth looking into, following Westpig's very good logic. Relatively new ones can be found with low miles, for a few grand.

Unfashionable but thoroughly decent cars.
hi westpig

Hadn't considered the Astra but did have a quick look at the Almera as someone else suggested it and have seen a few decent priced ones.

Funnily enough someone at work is thinking of selling her Corsa SXi but for the life of me I cant remember what reg it is, think it's only a few years old, so that may be something to look at, she knows what my budget is.

My reasoning for Yaris size is that kids are only in it for 10 minute school run each day most of the time it will be just me and small hopefully equals economical, also my daughter is looking to learn to drive and would probably share the car with me.

Any big shopping trips or longer runs will be done in husbands Vectra.

Will have a good old look round the site and see what gets a decent review, thanks SO much for all the suggestions they are really helping.

Caroline
Advice please on best car to go for - b308
If you are still considering scrappage, why not look at Kia and Hyundai's smaller offerings? You'd be able to keep them for longer than the others due to the longer warranties and both do reasonable diesels reletavely cheap... Might be worth a visit to a dealer or two to see whats on offer?
Did think about the Hyundai i10 or i20 but understand there is a really long wait on these, may be worth a revisit see how long they are talking about, both of these models both seem to get quite good reviews
Funnily enough someone at work is thinking of selling her Corsa SXi

Isn't the old Vectra cdti more economical/bigger/quicker/faster? Ooops, 1.7d. No, it isn't.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 03/11/2009 at 16:13

Advice please on best car to go for - Gromit {P}
Maybe its time to think laterally about this.

"small hopefully equals economical"

Only once you've paid for the smaller car. A second hand Yaris/Corsa is the class of car that holds its value best because everyone else after a runabout or first car wants one too.

For a typical motorist's mileage, depreciation the biggest cost you face. Interest on a car loan comes next. You don't have to contend with either with the Voyager. So, what mileage does your husband do? Could you swap his Vectra for the Voyager?

Failing that, you'll find the real cost of running (say) a 1.4 Astra or 1.5 Almera isn't much higher than a Yaris, and you'll buy a better example for less.

"also my daughter is looking to learn to drive and would probably share the car with me"

The £3000 you would spend on buying a supermini pays for a lot of driving lessons, and a lot of fuel. The estimate of £200 scrap allowance for the Voyager isn't far off, even if its understandably not what you hoped for.

If you are buying with a learner in mind, remember to get a quote for the model you have in mind. Certain models of the same size attract higher premiums than others.
Thanks Gromit,

swapping with husband isn't an option im afraid, he does more miles than me so back to plan A,

If I am following you correctly would you say going for the more unfashionable car ie Astra/ Almera as opposed to the Corsa type size of car.
I would be hoping that if we bought for maybe £3000 we would have a car for a few years and if it's worth nothing after that time as in the case of the voyager well we've had a good innings, even if we got 3 or 4 years that must be lots less depreciation than a new car.
Point taken ref the learner insurance will have to consider that

If i've totally misunderstood forgive me am a bit thick today.

caroline
caroline - if you're bored, try going to www.autotrader.co.uk/ and seeing what's around in your price range. You can narrow it down by limiting the search to (say):

Price: 2k - 3k
Fuel type: petrol
Transmission: manual
Body type: hatchback
Doors: 5
Engine size: 1L - 1.3L

perhaps fiddle around with Mileage and Distance, and see what you get. Keeps me quiet for hours :-)
thanks Focus

will give that a try later on, prepare for a shed load of questions though on whats A like as opposed to B and so on,

I'm slightly clueless, may have to start watching Top Gear and improve my knowledge.
Advice please on best car to go for - Happy Blue!
I'm slightly clueless, may have to start watching Top Gear and improve my knowledge....

TG won't help!! But we can.

Lots of good suggestions on here. Understand your predicament. Happened to a relative who bought a motorbike. He was killed on it a few weeks later :-(

IMHO the best suggestions here have been the Almera size car (of which there are a huge variety of makes and models and prices) or the Belingo which is a left field idea which gives you lots of space for childrens stuff in the van (sorry boot).

Keeping the car is probably the most economical way and getting it fixed, but the list of things not working kind of make me feel that getting rid is the right idea, even if the economy could be increased to 20mpg, which is unlikely.

The best idea is to look for a size of car and then find the best example in terms of condition, price, mileage etc. Ignore make unless a make is particularly reliable or otherwise. The Focus is very popular and there are lots around, but there are others and at that age a low-tech diesel may be a good idea also (Citroen Xsara?)
Advice please on best car to go for - Old Navy
I'm slightly clueless may have to start watching Top Gear and improve my knowledge.

>>
I hope you are joking, Top Gear is an entertainment programme loosely based on motoring, take their advice you will end up with something like a V8 sports car. :-)
Top Gear is an entertainment programme

The word "light" seems to be missing!
Advice please on best car to go for - Avant
Caroline - if you go for the £3k option I'd suggest the Ford Focus - lots of them around, parts are readily obtainable and better to drive than an Astra or Almera (that said, either of these would do the job you need.)

You do of course have to budget for the risk of repairs at this price. The PCP option + scrappage is worth considering if you are going to continue to need a car (i.e. you don't want to be lumbered with a final payment, but you won't be if you can afford the monthly payments and can thus trade the car in for another at the end of the term.

If you go for this route, have a look at the Berlingo as someone suggested above, and perhaps also the Honda Jazz. Jazzes hold their value well and the PCP monthly payments might not be too bad. The Jazz is the best example of a small, economical car (1.33 litres like the Yaris) which has lots of room inside, much more than the Yaris.

Advice please on best car to go for - gordonbennet
Going to throw a spanner in here.

Caroline, i'm pretty sure your Voyager is an auto, by the sort of town driving you are doing wouldn't you get pretty fed up with having a manual again, i know i would.

I agree with the others who have advised avoiding the very small cars, they'll be dire with a car load of growing sprogs ona daily grind.

As said above, you've got to keep your eyes open for something a bit less fashionable but still very competent, eg Korean larger cars and the like.
Anything with a badge thats small (apparently economical at least on fuel anyway) is fetching silly money and this is the wrong time to buy.

Personally i'd get a good independent mech to check your present car out, it will be heavy on juice but your present consumtion is dreadful.
It might be worth spending a couple of hundred if you can then get 23 or 25 mpg around town and then run it till it's scrap.

I think BB was being fairly realistic with the value of the Voyager, if you can get the fuel better it might just be worth getting another couple of years out of it.
Advice please on best car to go for - scouseford
Caroline

Asking a motoring website what car you should buy is absolutely pointless. By the very nature of this website (basically a bunch of petrolheads) you will eventually receive recommendations for every model that is available in your price bracket. One hundred replies will probably elicit at least 20 different models for you to buy (Rattle will slag off the last 6 that have given him a problem) and you will be no wiser at the end of the exercise.

I'd suggest taking someone that you know who has some experience of buying a used car to have a look at, say, 5 models that you select from local advertisements and then just go for the vehicle that appeals to you most (with advice from your adviser).
Advice please on best car to go for - Avant
"Asking a motoring website what car you should buy is absolutely pointless."

Not at all. Caroline gets lots of ideas, some of which she has thought of already, some she hasn't. It can only help her to come to a conclusion.

Car advice is something that backroomers do well, and the threads are much more interesting to read than endless rants about speed limits!

Edited by Avant on 03/11/2009 at 22:46

Advice please on best car to go for - scouseford
Avant

I understand what you are saying but suppose that I started a thread saying that I had £25,000 available to spend on a new car which must be a hatchback, have heated front seats, satellite navigation, an MP3 connection (whatever that is) and an ability to cover at least 35 miles per gallon of petrol, imagine how many replies I would get (if anybody wasn't too bored to respond).

Whatever parameters you state there are countless alternatives and, at the end of the day, it is down to what you actually want for yourself. You might recommend a Vauxhall Insignia, the next contributor a Ford Mondeo and the next a Toyota Avensis. So what do I decide on? I am no better off than I was when I first posted.
hi all

I have found the advice received since I started this thread invaluable, it's been interesting to hear peoples opinion particularly ref the keep the voyager, buy new with the PCP or go for 2nd hand car.

By far the most unpopular option has been the PCP route which i'll be honest 1 week ago i was that close to signing mainly because it's just so easy ie pick the car you want turn up in your old one away you go, however we have now down a complete turnaround and 2nd hand is definately the way we are going.

I have found everyones opinions on the various models invaluable, I have zero knowledge of cars and would probably go for the obvious popular models which is also what everyone else wants therefore making them a bit more costly.

It is useful o me therefore to hear about slightly more obscure models that i probably wouldn't consider.

Quick question please
Husbands boss has spotted a Rover 45 petrol 1.4 03 model apparantly got all the kit 20000 miles for £2995 at a dealership, may get warranty also with that
sounds good to me but what is it?
Damn just wrote out a huge post and lost it,

was basically saying how everyones opinions have been invaluable. As I have said before i am clueless really so to hear other views on my options has been a great help.

I think am gonna go down the 2nd hand route, The Voyager has got to go it's just impractical however taking rubbish to the tip will never again be so easy!!

can i ask a quick question please, husbands boss has spotted a Rover 45 1.4 for sale at a garage its done 20000 miles and has all the extras, its an 03 model for £2995.

Sounds ok to me but is it?
no
rover went belly up on the back of these cars dont do it
Humph.

Example: tinyurl.com/yghxkxu

Newer, shorter, faster, quicker, more economical. I'm slightly considering something similar.
Fotherington Thomas is that your car?

No not a vectra husbands got one, plus it's a bit big

caroline
No, it isn't my car, but it's of the sort that I've been toying with the idea of buying. It's medium, not small, for sure - but it's got good enough performance and good economy, even compared to some smaller cars. Has the hubby got one with the same engine? Has it had a good record?
Husbands is smaller, poss 1.6 or 1.4 he's only had it a year it was a company car work were selling off, so got it quite cheap - it is a good car though, he gets good MPG and it just sailed through an MOT which was a first for us, kinda get used to just forking out money all the time